2019 NFL Combine

SmittyBacall

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Polite gonna be chilling as Mel’s Best Available for a hot minute on draft weekend at this rate.

Well, he might get his wish then. Rams are all over pass rushers. I'm sure they'll be happy to grab him in the late first or early second.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Well, he might get his wish then. Rams are all over pass rushers. I'm sure they'll be happy to grab him in the late first or early second.

As a fan, those comments don’t scare you?

The Browns need a pass rusher too, but I think I’m cool on him thb. Questionable character, carrying bad weight at the combine, those answers.... 😮, all paired with this athletic profile...

I get his tape shows a better athlete than this, but damn....  that’s some risky business in R1 imo.

27 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As a fan, those comments don’t scare you?

The Browns need a pass rusher too, but I think I’m cool on him thb. Questionable character, carrying bad weight at the combine, those answers.... 😮, all paired with this athletic profile...

I get his tape shows a better athlete than this, but damn....  that’s some risky business in R1 imo.

Even better, we can trade down into Round 2. I prefer Montez Sweat, but I think he's gone. It's looking like Jeff Simmons and Devin Bush will also both be gone. In that case, I'm happy to trade down and snag Polite. It's not like he played against D-II competition.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Even better, we can trade down into Round 2. I prefer Montez Sweat, but I think he's gone. It's looking like Jeff Simmons and Devin Bush will also both be gone. In that case, I'm happy to trade down and snag Polite. It's not like he played against D-II competition.

Yeah I think R2 is a real possibility for him.

55 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Only place I can think for him in the 1st now. He's still a talent and Wade won't care about the personality stuff. 

25 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

After his combine? It should be put in the rumor thread Al Davis was spotted digging himself out of his grave to take Sweat at 4.

9 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I need to watch some of these LBs. Burr-Kirven, Cashman and Tranquill had freaky days. 

Bobby Okereke is another name I need to watch. Dude is athletic and long. Also doesn't hurt that he went to Stanford.

Comparable to Darius Leonard.

7 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

What's the ceiling on Anthony Nelson now, with his freaky athletic performance at his size?  

Doesn't change anything for me. I trust the film. On film, Nelson looks like a good base end or a good 3-4 one-gap 5T. He's not twitchy or explosive. But he has the length and power to overwhelm weaker opponents. If he deepens his pass rush arsenal, I could see him being a very effective 4-3 SDE.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m sure you probably feel the questions that have come out in years past re: players sexuality, asking if their mother’s a prostitute, etc., are cool though.  Teams need info and all and cuz lots of money....

Because I can appreciate them for what they are, yes.  I'm cool with it.  By the point the interview rolls around the team doesn't care whether the player's mother is a prostitute - more than likely they already know, because - like you said - they have their sources and they vet those sources.  The purpose of the question isn't to glean that information, it's to throw the player out of their comfort zone so that if they're giving canned answers (which most of them are because they spend months practicing for these interviews) they get thrown off them and it becomes clear that it's canned.  This is Depositions 101.

Any agent worth a damn preps their client for this sort of thing the way house counsel would before allowing their client or any of their client's employees to be deposed.  Based off of Polite's remarks to the press over this whole issue, it's not illogical to think he didn't prep for this either which is why he took it so personally.  That fact in itself is telling to a team.

40 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Doesn't change anything for me. I trust the film. On film, Nelson looks like a good base end or a good 3-4 one-gap 5T. He's not twitchy or explosive. But he has the length and power to overwhelm weaker opponents. If he deepens his pass rush arsenal, I could see him being a very effective 4-3 SDE.

Yeah, he's athletic in the way Igor Olshansky was.  Doesn't change the position/techniques he's best suited for.  Now if this had been Jaylon Ferguson turning in these numbers, we'd be talking a whole different story.

53 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Bobby Okereke is another name I need to watch. Dude is athletic and long. Also doesn't hurt that he went to Stanford.

Comparable to Darius Leonard.

Pray tell, how?

Leonard's biggest selling point outside of his production were his next-level instincts.  Okereke hasn't demonstrated those; his are average-at-best.

Just now, The LBC said:

Pray tell, how?

Leonard's biggest selling point outside of his production were his next-level instincts.  Okereke hasn't demonstrated those; his are average-at-best.

He's likely referring to the arm length & wingspan

Just now, IDOG_det said:

He's likely referring to the arm length & wingspan

But those really aren't and haven't been high on the list of reasons for Leonard's success.

But then it's combine season where people get all gassed up on performances in shorts and Under Armor and conveniently ignore that some of these guys tackle like Sean Considine when you actually watch the tape.  And I don't care how athletic or smooth in transition you are, if you're a linebacker and your tackles are consistently broken or you get swamped up by blocks when there's actual other players on the field and traffic for you to have to sift through, you're a speed bump not a linebacker.

Archived