Missouri hit with 3 yr probation, 1 yr bowl ban

naptownskinsfan

Missouri football, like the baseball and softball programs, has been placed on three years of probation with a postseason ban for the upcoming 2019-20 season. The school must also vacate any records from teams in which the players involved competed in while ineligible. Along with the five percent scholarship reduction during the 2019-20 year, the program will also face a seven-week ban on unofficial visits, as well as a 12.5 percent reduction of official visits. Missouri will also deal with a seven-week ban on recruiting communications, off-campus contact and evaluations, and a 12.5 percent reduction in recruiting-person or evaluation days.

Missouri athletic director Jim Sterk issued a statement following the announcement, and said Missouri plans to appeal the NCAA's ruling.

"Once these issues were brought to our attention in November 2016, the university moved swiftly and fully cooperated with the NCAA Enforcement staff to jointly investigate the allegations that were made," said Sterk. "We are shocked and dismayed by the penalties that have been imposed today and will aggressively fight for what is right.

Read More: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-hits-missouri-with-one-year-postseason-ban-recruiting-restrictions-for-academic-violations/

Currently, it appears that Kelly Bryant will remain at Missouri and will not attempt to transfer with a hardship waiver, which would likely be granted- https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-missouri-qb-kelly-bryant-planning-to-stay-with-tigers-despite-postseason-ban/

15 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Waiting for people who think a scholarship is pay to show up and comment on how the players were victims here. Not holding my breath tbh.

Count me as one then. I'm one that always says you should penalize the team/university (Big Fine) not the players. Anytime choice is limited or athletes are restricted from the amount of information that can obtain it is a bad punishment. Post season ban I'm not sure where I fall simply because aside from the playoffs I think they are meaningless. But I lean towards bad since that is one more game that a player can't use to improve his play or draft stock.

This does nothing to actually punish the school.

EDIT: But it is good you weren't holding your breath. 15 hours is a long time.

9 hours ago, mse326 said:

Count me as one then. I'm one that always says you should penalize the team/university (Big Fine) not the players. Anytime choice is limited or athletes are restricted from the amount of information that can obtain it is a bad punishment. Post season ban I'm not sure where I fall simply because aside from the playoffs I think they are meaningless. But I lean towards bad since that is one more game that a player can't use to improve his play or draft stock.

This does nothing to actually punish the school.

EDIT: But it is good you weren't holding your breath. 15 hours is a long time.

Ha at least you responded as such. It's usually crickets.

On 2/2/2019 at 9:24 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Waiting for people who think a scholarship is pay to show up and comment on how the players were victims here. Not holding my breath tbh.

The seniors at the very least should have the option to transfer out immediately, same with probably the juniors as well.  

Archived