Cowboys Not Signing Head Coach Jason Garrett To Extension

///mcompact

When is the last time having a lame duck coach worked out for anyone involved? Seriously. 

Its hard for a coach to get guys to 'buy in' when the players have longer contracts than the coach.

Jerry should extend him, even if he plans on firing him next year if they don't make progress. The financial implications would be minuscule with a two year extension with an unguaranteed third year or something (they could just not tell anyone its unguaranteed, coaches contract details are never that public). 

Very short sighted move from Jerry Jones IMO

16 minutes ago, N4L said:

Very short sighted move from Jerry Jones IMO

Indeed, but is that short-sightedness on purpose ?
Is Jones jonesing for Sean Payton at HC ?

Seems like the lame duck season is just a placeholder for the guy he really wants

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Indeed, but is that short-sightedness on purpose ?
Is Jones jonesing for Sean Payton at HC ?

Seems like the lame duck season is just a placeholder for the guy he really wants

Right, even if that is his plan, he should still sign garrett to an extension because it would be more conducive to a winning team in 2019 (even if it costs Jones some money on the back end having to pay two coaches)

Now the players etc are going to have to hear the noise of 'will he/wont he' for the next 12 months, rather than focus on coming together as a group. I don't think garrett is equipped to handle that

9 hours ago, N4L said:

Right, even if that is his plan, he should still sign garrett to an extension because it would be more conducive to a winning team in 2019 (even if it costs Jones some money on the back end having to pay two coaches)

Now the players etc are going to have to hear the noise of 'will he/wont he' for the next 12 months, rather than focus on coming together as a group. I don't think garrett is equipped to handle that

Good if he can't handle that, he can't handle the pressure to win a superbowl.

If that's the case we don't want him here anyway

8 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Good if he can't handle that, he can't handle the pressure to win a superbowl.

If that's the case we don't want him here anyway

So then just fire him now and be done with it. 

Lame duck coaches basically never work. It's putting your franchise in an unnecessary state of limbo. 

He isn't going to last another season. He knows it, the players know it, the fans know it, the media knows it. It's going to be talked about ad nauseum for the next 12 months. After every loss he's going to be asked 20 questions about job security and so will half the guys in the locker room. 

If the plan is to move on, just move on. If you are going to keep him for another year at least then you need to provide him a fair chance at winning ball games without the unnecessary chatter. 

Having a lame duck coach is a trivial way to publicly put a guy on the hot seat. Sit him down and tell him that behind closed doors, it would have the same effect without publicly castrating him 

It's also a good way to get a coach to make decisions he wouldn't normally make, like sticking with a veteran for too long rather than getting a young guy experience. Does that make sense to you? 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

So then just fire him now and be done with it. 

Lame duck coaches basically never work. It's putting your franchise in an unnecessary state of limbo. 

He isn't going to last another season. He knows it, the players know it, the fans know it, the media knows it. It's going to be talked about ad nauseum for the next 12 months. After every loss he's going to be asked 20 questions about job security and so will half the guys in the locker room. 

If the plan is to move on, just move on. If you are going to keep him for another year at least then you need to provide him a fair chance at winning ball games without the unnecessary chatter. 

Having a lame duck coach is a trivial way to publicly put a guy on the hot seat. Sit him down and tell him that behind closed doors, it would have the same effect without publicly castrating him 

It's also a good way to get a coach to make decisions he wouldn't normally make, like sticking with a veteran for too long rather than getting a young guy experience. Does that make sense to you? 

I think most cowboy fans have already realized JG is very incapable and honestly shouldn't even be coaching us right now considering what our franchise goals are (SB SB SB). This year is basically just a hail mary year for us. JG gets his last shot. Dak hopefully works better with Kellen Moore as OC. Our defense will build on last year. 

Crazy things have happened & we never know if everything will come together for the perfect storm.

We all know logically that playing this season out with JG doesn't look too great. We are all hoping something besides the default happens.

Historically, we haven't really been the type of franchise to flip coaching staff routinely. Although we might suffer from staleness, we always benefited from continuity because of that.

I wish we did things different, I wish we hired a new McVay and flipped the team around in a heartbeat. But that ain't us.

10 hours ago, N4L said:

It's going to be talked about ad nauseum for the next 12 months

Indeed it will
But I suspect the chatter wouldn't be much less if Jerruh actually extended The Clapper.
In that scenario, Jerruh would be the one taking the heat for making such a dumbass move
This way, all the talk is focused on Garrett and his inadequacies instead of Mr. Jones' shortcomings

Your overall point is spot on, but I think this is a bit of a no-win situation.
Also - Is there a NE/LA coach that he's waiting on ? ( Josh Daniels ? )

23 hours ago, N4L said:

I think you missed the point I was making

Might have gone off a tangent there but I understand your viewpoint. We aren't that cutthroat of an organization as people deem us to be. People will always point to the Landry, Jimmy J & maybe recently even the Dez Bryant incident.

As much as I love/hate to say it, we have a sense of loyalty to efforts and at-least some things won to people within our organization. We will always give them their last chance despite whatever the league thinks of them.

Jason Garrett has the 2019-2020 season left to play in contract. We will respect his contract & give his shot. I don't believe in the man's coaching ability to take us to a SB but I'll never say he doesn't put his heart and soul into the organization to make that goal happen every year.

It's a double edged sword, because of the way we are in the whole sense of "loyalty" we have to our players & coaches, we end up giving coaches like Garrett way more time then they thought they had among league standards. But we are also the same team that stayed patient with players like Jaylon Smith & Randy Gregory despite the doubts from the rest of the league and now we reap the rewards of that.

It's just our organizational DNA, and it's very important to understand that. It's the same thing that drives me mad about this team  and yet makes me proud to cheer for them.

cheers

Archived