Rodney McLeod reworks contract

EaglesPeteC

2 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

He played there his JR year in college...doesn't mean scheme wise he can play it here. 

We already know he can´t play CB, we are at a point where we can try him there to see if he has something at Safety with two starters under contract. It´s not so crazy to think he can given his qualities.

12 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

He needs to just be put out to pasture already. He doesn't make plays. He's not a ballhawk, He's not a heavy hitter. He can't cover. Should've Dropped this clown.

I'll just hit you with the post I made in your mock off-season thread which you never responded to.

On 1/18/2019 at 3:42 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Solak and Kist mentioned on a pod not too long ago that our fans don't see most of what McLeod does cause he's not playing up close as much.

Could we improve on him and should we get younger at safety? I'm sure and of course...

I mean McLeod will be 29 years this summer and Jenkins will be nearing 32 years old.

But, it makes MUCH more sense to draft a safety and also maybe try one of our guys out there this off-season and then get out of McLeod's deal after the 2019 season when the dead cap drops from 48.5% of the cap hit to only 22%.

However, I'll add the final thoughts made by Solak in that article since I don't know if you'll click the link and read the whole thing.

If and when Schwartz moves McLeod into the box, he’s typically moving away from the base Cover 3 defense. In the past, when moving to different shells, Schwartz still made an effort to keep McLeod as a high safety. In 2018, he seems far more willing to use McLeod in unexpected ways, and it’s paying off early for the Eagles’ defense.

McLeod’s instincts and sharp mind for the game translate down into underneath zones, and he has either directly or indirectly put the defense in plus situations with his versatility. The more frequently Philadelphia deploys McLeod as a middle hole or flat defender, the further they can confound opposing offenses, force longer processes in the pocket, and generate turnover-worthy plays.

McLeod was having a bounce back from the season before which wasn't good.

You can probably make a strong argument that he was the most important loss for our team this season outside of Carson Wentz. 

I thought maybe we were just kicking this $ we saved on his contract this year to next year as I figured this was a restructure.

So, basically it was more of a pay cut and we just saved that money and get out of his deal a year earlier.

The weird thing is McLeod could've said "no" and forced the Eagles to cut him and still got the remaining money he was owed which was at least what we would pay him this year, plus he could've landed a prove it 1 year deal somewhere else.

Think this says a lot about Rodney and how much he likes it here. 

Granted he knows this defense and this allows him to have a good shot to return as a starter and prove himself in 2019 before he becomes a FA in 2020 just before his 30th birthday where he could get one last good sized contract should he perform well coming back from the knee injury.

So, I guess it works out for him too in that sense, but it works out great for the Eagles since we are only paying him what it would've cost in dead cap to cut him this year anyways. If he comes back and has a good season as a starter, then this restructure was amazing. If he ends up not having a great season and is just mediocre and ends up getting replaced as the starter, then we still have him for his leadership (which I think is underrated) and depth which we wouldn't have had if he forced us to just cut him and take the dead cap hit.

howie.gif?w=660

I like Howie but not sure I'm going to give him too much credit here...the dude was hurt Howie probably looked at the opportunity like hey you can bet on yourself.

So what happens when he does bounce back...we can't resign him with the locker room cancer up for resigning (lol, don't at me). We could be looking to replace two safeties if my hypothesis is correct and Jenkins is next to fall (injury/level of play)  

Just now, nlesthought said:

I like Howie but not sure I'm going to give him too much credit here...the dude was hurt Howie probably looked at the opportunity like hey you can bet on yourself.

So what happens when he does bounce back...we can't resign him with the locker room cancer up for resigning (lol, don't at me). We could be looking to replace two safeties if my hypothesis is correct and Jenkins is next to fall (injury/level of play)  

I mean Jenkins play has already started to fall off and we've always been looking at having to replace both of them in the near future.

Safety prospects will need to be looked at hard this year and the next obviously.

Also, you can find a safety to replace in free agency as well. Where do you think we got McLeod and Jenkins in the first place?

I’d seen a lot of people mock the Delaware kid to us, and honestly grabbing a young safety is probably in the works more so than I really even gave thought to. Have whoever we take Corey Graham’s workload to get acclimated in 2019, then move to full starter next year at the very least.

Malcolm will play out his contract, decent chance to get another one after and slowly get weened off playing 100% of the snaps he did in 2018.

Rodney is limited but he can be a really solid guy. I don’t want to ever go back to the post Dawk era of suck back there.

I like Rodney just fine. He’s solid. The backfield was a mess after he got hurt. We need some new blood back there though. I don’t really know the motivation for him to redo his deal. The Eagles got some space cleared up and a year off the deal but it looks like he reworked it out of desperation. Does he think it’s going to be a long road back? I mean, he tore his MCL. Is he even going to be full strength in Oct? Nov?  We need to get a reliable backup to start the year at the very least. I’ve been beating the honey badger drum. He fits perfect. He can start the season and when McLeod is full strength he can be used all around the field. Gives us the freedom to play Jenkins all around as well. 

5 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I like Rodney just fine. He’s solid. The backfield was a mess after he got hurt. We need some new blood back there though. I don’t really know the motivation for him to redo his deal. The Eagles got some space cleared up and a year off the deal but it looks like he reworked it out of desperation. Does he think it’s going to be a long road back? I mean, he tore his MCL. Is he even going to be full strength in Oct? Nov?  We need to get a reliable backup to start the year at the very least. I’ve been beating the honey badger drum. He fits perfect. He can start the season and when McLeod is full strength he can be used all around the field. Gives us the freedom to play Jenkins all around as well. 

If it was an isolated MCL he'll be good for OTAs lol

Archived