Panthers DE Julius Peppers announces his retirement

TheKillerNacho

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25899290/panthers-julius-peppers-announces-retirement

Hell of a career. Kinda surprised he didn't come back to try to get third in all time sacks, but can't blame a guy for calling it quits when his body tells him to. His 159.5 career sacks trails only Kevin Greene (160), Bruce Smith (198) and Reggie White (200).

Almost certainly will be a first-ballot HOFer.

Congrats on a long and successful career, though there were times during his prime towards the end of his initial stint with Carolina where you almost had to wonder whether his heart was in it or not. Might just be me, but I believe he had the potential to firmly secure being third on the sack list.

At any rate, the longevity of his career and the numbers he put up, he's got a good shot at making the Hall of Fame one day.

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

Congrats on a long and successful career, though there were times during his prime towards the end of his initial stint with Carolina where you almost had to wonder whether his heart was in it or not. Might just be me, but I believe he had the potential to firmly secure being third on the sack list.

At any rate, the longevity of his career and the numbers he put up, he's got a good shot at making the Hall of Fame one day.

I remember there was a topic made on the old FF a few years ago asking whether or not he lived up to his potential.  Responses were pretty split because most people believed that he definitely took a few plays off, and it sure feels like he was the same caliber player that he was as a rookie for the majority of his career (with maybe the exception of 2010 on the Bears when he was a DPOY candidate)

Archived