Which team without a starting qb has the best supporting cast going into 2019?

Kiwibrown

16 minutes ago, Riftty said:

In my mine Cook has proven to be a great back. If you guys can land one good guard that can make a nice hole you're in business there. 

Cousins just lacks something...can't put my finger on it but he is lacking something. Thielen and Diggs made him look a little better stat wise than I think he is.

Kirk Cousins would be great at 15 million, allows you to go get another good-great player, like an olinemen. 

Please stop pretending the Jags are a good team that just needs a QB.

Jacksonville is 13-30 over the last 3 years if you ignore the 5 pathetic QB opponent games they played in 2017

• They went 5-0 against Kizer (0-15) Yates/Savage (1-9) and Brissett (4-11)
    • That's 5-35 with 3 of the 5 wins against each other.
    • All of Jacksonville's exceptional 2017 stats come from those 5 games.
  • Outside of those games, the Jags are garbage that had the Steelers number and put up a hell of a fight in the AFCCG.
    • The Raiders beat the Steelers this year
  • Yes their 4/6 defensive ranking is nice but add in 22nd in sacks and 22nd in turnovers and you get a better picture.
  • They are also in cap hell.
    • Cutting Bortles will still cost them 15.6 million
    • They could save 11m by cutting Malik Jackson but that makes a huge hole on their D-line.

Indy is loaded, Houston is solid and Tennessee is a playoff contender.

Jacksonville faced 8 teams that made the playoffs this year (2-6). They don't get a big break next year as they face 7 (4 division, KC, LAC, NO)

Jacksonville may be the worst landing spot possible for a QB. As a fan of Nick Foles I rank them 31st of 31 possible destinations.

3 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Please stop pretending the Jags are a good team that just needs a QB.

Jacksonville is 13-30 over the last 3 years if you ignore the 5 pathetic QB opponent games they played in 2017

• They went 5-0 against Kizer (0-15) Yates/Savage (1-9) and Brissett (4-11)
    • That's 5-35 with 3 of the 5 wins against each other.
    • All of Jacksonville's exceptional 2017 stats come from those 5 games.
  • Outside of those games, the Jags are garbage that had the Steelers number and put up a hell of a fight in the AFCCG.
    • The Raiders beat the Steelers this year
  • Yes their 4/6 defensive ranking is nice but add in 22nd in sacks and 22nd in turnovers and you get a better picture.
  • They are also in cap hell.
    • Cutting Bortles will still cost them 15.6 million
    • They could save 11m by cutting Malik Jackson but that makes a huge hole on their D-line.

Indy is loaded, Houston is solid and Tennessee is a playoff contender.

Jacksonville faced 8 teams that made the playoffs this year (2-6). They don't get a big break next year as they face 7 (4 division, KC, LAC, NO)

Jacksonville may be the worst landing spot possible for a QB. As a fan of Nick Foles I rank them 31st of 31 possible destinations.

I think that's kind of exaggerating based on how bad Bortles has been for most of that stretch.  How badly Bortles has impacted their record over those years is kinda totally irrelevant if you're talking about a different QB coming into that situation to replace him.

They have at least a good defense as long as they don't gut it excessively, and at least a reasonably solid running game to lean on if Fournette and the OLine can stay healthy.  That's not nothing.  That said, they have nothing for weapons to lean on in the passing game though.  It's just a collection of mediocre #2/3ish guys in a similar mold.

They are also really tight to the cap, but it's not insurmountable.  They're rolling over almost $12M this year, and have guys like Malik Jackson to cut for savings (presumably replaced by last year's 1st round draft pick Taven Bryan).  Plus some other dead weight to cut loose that should put them in the ballpark of cap compliance even with a FA QB.  Remains to be seen how much, but i'd expect at least a little bit more cap relief from someone signing Bortles to fill a spot on their roster with offsets in his deal, and they can potentially kick the can down the road a bit by making Bortles a post-June 1st cut to help the 2019 cap situation too.

I don't think it's the best situation, but i don't think it's the worst either.  They could do a lot for improving as a destination by spending some picks on offensive weapons at TE and WR especially.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I think that's kind of exaggerating based on how bad Bortles has been for most of that stretch.  How badly Bortles has impacted their record over those years is kinda totally irrelevant if you're talking about a different QB coming into that situation to replace him.

They have at least a good defense as long as they don't gut it excessively, and at least a reasonably solid running game to lean on if Fournette and the OLine can stay healthy.  That's not nothing.  That said, they have nothing for weapons to lean on in the passing game though.  It's just a collection of mediocre #2/3ish guys in a similar mold.

They are also really tight to the cap, but it's not insurmountable.  They're rolling over almost $12M this year, and have guys like Malik Jackson to cut for savings (presumably replaced by last year's 1st round draft pick Taven Bryan).  Plus some other dead weight to cut loose that should put them in the ballpark of cap compliance even with a FA QB.  Remains to be seen how much, but i'd expect at least a little bit more cap relief from someone signing Bortles to fill a spot on their roster with offsets in his deal, and they can potentially kick the can down the road a bit by making Bortles a post-June 1st cut to help the 2019 cap situation too.

I don't think it's the best situation, but i don't think it's the worst either.  They could do a lot for improving as a destination by spending some picks on offensive weapons at TE and WR especially.

I can't believe you guys destroyed your cap like that.. Y'all were doing such a great job.. And I don't even know how Snead does it.. But he's always front loaded monster contracts giving us so much flexibility.. And it's crazy because @pwny would always say Jax was great at controlling the cap.. Major cuts will be made.. And they were never suppose to sign that G from last year, He messed up errrything. 

42 minutes ago, El ramster said:

And it's crazy because @pwny would always say Jax was great at controlling the cap.. Major cuts will be made..

The only thing I’ve ever said is that their contracts are all set up so there’s quick outs in them with no dead money, so they can clean out any player’s contract they want and open up cap space. That’s exactly where they are. They have a bunch of guys’ contracts that have reached their maturation point and they’re going to cash them out. They drafted Taven Bryan to replace Malik Jackson. They’ll cut Malik, as was planned, and end up with $20 mill in cap space. They have a couple other players who are bad and have 0 dead money. They’ll cut them at no talent loss and end up pushing $40M in cap space by the time they’re done. There’s no cap space problem.

It’s the only thing they actually do right. 

EDIT: I’ve also only ever brought this up in relation to people being shocked at the guaranteed money they players get being something that would hamstring them. People don’t realize that the Jaguars use guaranteed base salaries in year one and sometimes year two as the primary source of contract guarantees, so people come in not realizing that the contract is basically a one year contract with team options for future years and no dead money. 

Archived