#12, teams with QB needs and is a trade down a possibility

Golfman

Here are the guys IMO that I would be perfectly OK with sitting tight at #12 and taking. I realize many are sure to be gone, but if any of them slide I'd stay and take one. If they were all gone, I'd have to move down a few spots. This list is likely to change a few times. 

1. Joey Bosa, 2. Quinnen Williams, 3. Josh Allen, 4. Ed Oliver, 5. Jeffrey Simmons, 6. Jackie Polite, 7. Clelin Ferrell, 8. Brian Burns 

Here are the teams as we go into the draft who could be in market for a QB in round 1. Could be as many as 7 in top 15, but likely only 3 or 4. There aren't that many QB's with legitimate 1st round grades although GMs will take themselves into it. They always do. 

4. Oakland

6. NY Giants

7. Jacksonville

10. Denver

11. Cincinnati (they should be)

13. Miami

15. Washington

Joe Flacco, Nick Fowles and Ryan Tannehill are likely going to be on the market as well as Teddy Bridgewater. Teams could try and bandage their situation with those 4 guys. 

If your guys are gone, do you trade down or plug in next best guy on your board? Me, I'd be willing to trade down with either Miami or Washington but not for less than an additional 2019 - 2nd rounder. 

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Here are the guys IMO that I would be perfectly OK with sitting tight at #12 and taking. I realize many are sure to be gone, but if any of them slide I'd stay and take one. If they were all gone, I'd have to move down a few spots. This list is likely to change a few times. 

1. Joey Bosa, 2. Quinnen Williams, 3. Josh Allen, 4. Ed Oliver, 5. Jeffrey Simmons, 6. Jackie Polite, 7. Clelin Ferrell, 8. Brian Burns 

Here are the teams as we go into the draft who could be in market for a QB in round 1. Could be as many as 7 in top 15, but likely only 3 or 4. There aren't that many QB's with legitimate 1st round grades although GMs will take themselves into it. They always do. 

4. Oakland

6. NY Giants

7. Jacksonville

10. Denver

13. Miami

15. Washington

Joe Flacco, Nick Fowles and Ryan Tannehill are likely going to be on the market as well as Teddy Bridgewater. Teams could try and bandage their situation with those 4 guys. 

If your guys are gone, do you trade down or plug in next best guy on your board? Me, I'd be willing to trade down with either Miami or Washington but not for less than an additional 2019 - 2nd rounder. 

IMO, probably only 3 out of your list will make it #12, but, you could be right.  We just won't know until draft day.  Fowles is rumored to be wanted by the Jags, I wouldn't give up my #7 pick for him, would you?  I would agree with the trade down, picking up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick wouldn't hurt.

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

I think Ferrell should be higher than that....

Simmons might drop to to off the field stuff (which is why he's not invited to the combine), but the Packers QB coach got to see him and his coaching staff everyday in practice last year and might have some insight.

I would think Sweat ... would be with Polite and Burns?

I'm not sure if Polite and Burns should be that high...

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

4. Oakland

6. NY Giants

7. Jacksonville

10. Denver

13. Miami

15. Washington

It's gonna be very interesting to see who takes the QBs...

Raiders got a QB

Giants/Jaguars have been in denial that it's not too bad... and I think the Giants still believe that (and their GM is quite stubborn when he believes something), though I think the Jaguars are ready to move on, with Tom Coughlin, I think they'll be looking into veterans more than a rookie, but they could potentially do both.

So far, Ego Elway has never drafted a QB shorter than 6'6½" in the top 6 rounds.... Elways has said he has FINALLY realized that a QB height is not sure a mandatory for QBs to be successful, but I still have a hard time believing Elway could completely give up on something he strongly believed in, not that long ago... so I'm thinking they'll need to be at least 6'2" for Elways which would be Daniel Jones and Drew Lock of the higher ranked QBs (of course my theory could be wrong, and he might of truly believe in any height now). 

Dolphins and Redskins will be open for a new QB surely if there is one they like.

29 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Probably not gonna get rich trading down this year via a team looking for a QB. The class dictates that

Teams fall in love with a guy they shouldn't regarding QB every year. This year will be no exception. 

3 hours ago, Beast said:

I think Ferrell should be higher than that....

Simmons might drop to to off the field stuff (which is why he's not invited to the combine), but the Packers QB coach got to see him and his coaching staff everyday in practice last year and might have some insight.

I would think Sweat ... would be with Polite and Burns?

I'm not sure if Polite and Burns should be that high...

It's gonna be very interesting to see who takes the QBs...

Raiders got a QB

Giants/Jaguars have been in denial that it's not too bad... and I think the Giants still believe that (and their GM is quite stubborn when he believes something), though I think the Jaguars are ready to move on, with Tom Coughlin, I think they'll be looking into veterans more than a rookie, but they could potentially do both.

So far, Ego Elway has never drafted a QB shorter than 6'6½" in the top 6 rounds.... Elways has said he has FINALLY realized that a QB height is not sure a mandatory for QBs to be successful, but I still have a hard time believing Elway could completely give up on something he strongly believed in, not that long ago... so I'm thinking they'll need to be at least 6'2" for Elways which would be Daniel Jones and Drew Lock of the higher ranked QBs (of course my theory could be wrong, and he might of truly believe in any height now). 

Dolphins and Redskins will be open for a new QB surely if there is one they like.

Eagles have said, according to Adam Schefter, they will use franchise tag on Nick Foles. That pretty much takes him off the market. If I"m Foles, I'm signing that franchise tender the day it's up on me. Now, a team is stuck with the QB franchise number and probably asking a 1st. I think this is a mistake for Philly. 

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Eagles have said, according to Adam Schefter, they will use franchise tag on Nick Foles. That pretty much takes him off the market. If I"m Foles, I'm signing that franchise tender the day it's up on me. Now, a team is stuck with the QB franchise number and probably asking a 1st. I think this is a mistake for Philly. 

Yeah, Philly would have to cut a bunch of players to fit Foles in under the cap on a franchise tag.  They do have players they can cut, but it could create more holes to fill.

Best player available at that pick. If a guy that is normally a top 5 talent drops because other positions are filling needs of other teams, then take that top talent. We didn't need Rodgers the year he was drafted because we had Favre but he was a top 5 talent that dropped. Now I am not saying a QB, but it remains true at all positions.

At #12 the Packers will have multiple players on their board from which to pick, and short of somebody making them “an offer they can’t refuse,” I don’t see them ceding that slot. I think Gute could trade out of the #30, but there will be many starter-quality players available in that spot as well. At this point I expect Green Bay to use both those first rounders.   

On Foles, from the Schefter article: 

“The Eagles are expected to use their franchise tag this offseason on quarterback Nick Foles in an effort to then try to trade him, according to sources on other NFL teams who have been in touch with Philadelphia.”

Cincinnati and Miami are the wildcards here. Both with new coaches and both could be looking for QBs. With Denver picking at 10 and likely taking a QB (or moving up for one), I can't really see #12 being a hot commodity. I think 5 8 and 9 are the spots are the ones that will be traded for a QB, not including the top few picks

8 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Cincinnati and Miami are the wildcards here. Both with new coaches and both could be looking for QBs. With Denver picking at 10 and likely taking a QB (or moving up for one), I can't really see #12 being a hot commodity. I think 5 8 and 9 are the spots are the ones that will be traded for a QB, not including the top few picks

This is reasonable, but I think teams don't usually take a QB until a year after they need one, almost denial. I don't see Oakland, New York or Jacksonville taking a QB. I see Jacksonville going for Foles or now Tannehill. That would leave Denver with the first take on a QB and apparently have fallen in love with the kid from WV, I do believe. A bust waiting to be drafted. Cincinnati is too cheap to grab a QB and will stick with the clown they have. 

These are obviously my thoughts and may not play out that way. I'd love for 3 QB's an OT, WR and a DB go before us. That would ensure we'd get one of the guys on my list. Again, just MY list. Gute very likely has a different list than I do. 

I'll be pissed if we go another direction with a stud EDGE or interior pass rusher there at 12. I'm hoping the guy who drops is Oliver. I think he's going to measure at about 6' or 6'1 and no more than 290. 

4 minutes ago, Golfman said:

This is reasonable, but I think teams don't usually take a QB until a year after they need one, almost denial. I don't see Oakland, New York or Jacksonville taking a QB. I see Jacksonville going for Foles or now Tannehill. That would leave Denver with the first take on a QB and apparently have fallen in love with the kid from WV, I do believe. A bust waiting to be drafted. Cincinnati is too cheap to grab a QB and will stick with the clown they have. 

These are obviously my thoughts and may not play out that way. I'd love for 3 QB's an OT, WR and a DB go before us. That would ensure we'd get one of the guys on my list. Again, just MY list. Gute very likely has a different list than I do. 

I'll be pissed if we go another direction with a stud EDGE or interior pass rusher there at 12. I'm hoping the guy who drops is Oliver. I think he's going to measure at about 6' or 6'1 and no more than 290. 

Haskins is a lock for top 10, and it's looking like Lock is going as late as 10 to the Broncos. I think Daniel Jones slides in somewhere, top 15, and I am hoping that either Cinci or Miami like him enough to either move up or just have him go right before us. 

When you want a QB, draft position doesn't matter. If Elway is as locked in on Lock as he seems to be, he's not staying at 10 to get him, he's moving up. Good for us because that may free someone else to move ahead of Cinci for Daniel Jones. I agree with you on Jax, I think they are looking at a vet, but with the way their cap is they might find themselves forced into taking a rookie. The giants are the ones who have a chance to take a vet QB on and shedding Vernon and some other cap hits

I think Oliver probably weighs in less than 280. The struggle to find a fit for him could be real, but he sure is talented. 

So in terms of teams that do not have an established long-term QB, your'e looking at:
MIA-Going to be releasing Tannehill allegedly
WAS-They honestly should just tank for 3 years. They're not a real football team and shouldn't pretend to be until the Alex Smith contract is up.
TEN-I imagine they'll continue w/Mariota
OAK-If OAK wants a QB, it's likely they'll go for one with their first pick.

Trade down re: QB looks like it's going to be tougher this year, but you never know. Teams identify a guy and will move heaven and earth to get him.

1 minute ago, rcon14 said:

So in terms of teams that do not have an established long-term QB, your'e looking at:
MIA-Going to be releasing Tannehill allegedly
WAS-They honestly should just tank for 3 years. They're not a real football team and shouldn't pretend to be until the Alex Smith contract is up.
TEN-I imagine they'll continue w/Mariota
OAK-If OAK wants a QB, it's likely they'll go for one with their first pick.

Trade down re: QB looks like it's going to be tougher this year, but you never know. Teams identify a guy and will move heaven and earth to get him.

It all depends on who is trading up... if it's the Redskins at 15, it would probably only take them a 3rd or 4th to move up to us. Is that worth it to us to pass on two players? Depends on how the board falls. 

Oakland at 24 or 27 is the only team in the playoffs sniffing at QB right now. Rivers showed he probably has a few years left, and everyone else has a QB. Our options to move down aren't really there. Like I said, I think the 8 and 9 spots are the ones that would see action from Washington, Cinci or Miami to move up for a QB

Archived