#12, teams with QB needs and is a trade down a possibility

Golfman

On 2/2/2019 at 11:52 AM, Golfman said:

If your guys are gone, do you trade down or plug in next best guy on your board? Me, I'd be willing to trade down with either Miami or Washington but not for less than an additional 2019 - 2nd rounder. 

I feel like we go through a different iteration of this year after year, and we're never in a position to trade down with a QB on the board.  Only 3 times since 2010 have we seen a QB go within 10 picks of the Packers (Tim Tebow in 2010, Andy Dalton in 2011, and Johnny Manziel in 2014) pick.  IF a team is in love with Kyler Murray (or another QB), why wouldn't they trade up with Buffalo, Cincinnati, or Denver?  Especially when they're probably more inclined to trade down than the Packers, especially at the package the Packers would likely ask for.  IIRC, when the Bengals called about trading up for Andy Dalton in 2011 the Packers reportedly wanted a future FRP in return for their pick.

On 2/2/2019 at 8:28 PM, Golfman said:

Yep, but look what the Bears gave up. It's a game of Poker and you have to be willing to walk away if you don't get your price. Mine would be a 2nd for Washington a 3rd for Miami but they'd have to tell me they were moving ahead of us for a QB. 

Bears moved up from 3 to 2.  The jump from 3 to 2 is significantly bigger than the gap between 10-15.  What happens if the Bears had opted to take Solomon Thomas instead of Mitch Trubisky?  Then the 49ers are onto Plan B.  If you're holding Washington to a SRP, they're probably walking away since the trade value was "set" by the Cardinals last year when they dealt a 3rd round pick to move up from 15 to 10.  Moving from 15 to 12 shouldn't cost Washington a SRP.  Would I ask for one?  Absolutely, but that doesn't change the fact that you're not going to get the value you want.  No team in their right mind is going to trade a SRP to move up 3 spots.  Kyler Murray is a good prospect, but he's not a great one.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Bears moved up from 3 to 2.  The jump from 3 to 2 is significantly bigger than the gap between 10-15.  What happens if the Bears had opted to take Solomon Thomas instead of Mitch Trubisky?  Then the 49ers are onto Plan B.  If you're holding Washington to a SRP, they're probably walking away since the trade value was "set" by the Cardinals last year when they dealt a 3rd round pick to move up from 15 to 10.  Moving from 15 to 12 shouldn't cost Washington a SRP.  Would I ask for one?  Absolutely, but that doesn't change the fact that you're not going to get the value you want.  No team in their right mind is going to trade a SRP to move up 3 spots.  Kyler Murray is a good prospect, but he's not a great one.

The jury is still out if it was worth it for the Bears to move up a spot to take that QB.

5 minutes ago, Pugger said:

The jury is still out if it was worth it for the Bears to move up a spot to take that QB.

The question isn't was it worth it or not?  The question is what kind of value does a trade up from 15 to 12?  It's nowhere near the value of moving up from 3 to 2.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

All it takes is one team to think otherwise.  If it would happen, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.  If it doesn't, who cares, stay in our spot;  we have the cards in this poker game.   

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

All it takes is one team to think otherwise.  If it would happen, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.  If it doesn't, who cares, stay in our spot;  we have the cards in this poker game.   

That logic doesn't hold true in reality.  You can use this to hold your hope, but if it were to happen then it would have happened already.  How many times have we seen a team move up for a second tier QB and pay premium?  It doesn't happen very often.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That logic doesn't hold true in reality.  You can use this to hold your hope, but if it were to happen then it would have happened already.  How many times have we seen a team move up for a second tier QB and pay premium?  It doesn't happen very often.

Not hoping .. don't think it will happen.  Just saying, it just takes one team to think differently.  You say he's a 2nd tier QB ... maybe some GM doesn't think like you and does think he's a tier 1 QB.  There's been QB's picked in the 1st round many times over the years that haven't panned out and lower ranked QB's (Russ Wilson) have.  It's called a crap shoot for most drafts; some get lucky, some don't. 

3 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Not hoping .. don't think it will happen.  Just saying, it just takes one team to think differently.  You say he's a 2nd tier QB ... maybe some GM doesn't think like you and does think he's a tier 1 QB.  There's been QB's picked in the 1st round many times over the years that haven't panned out and lower ranked QB's (Russ Wilson) have.  It's called a crap shoot for most drafts; some get lucky, some don't. 

And QB is so important a franchise can completely turn around if you hit on one special player. I thought Mahommes was going at the end of the first but Chiefs went pretty high to get him. Turns out the Chiefs were right and will be a force to reckon with as long as he is the QB.  The rewards are so great, I understand why franchises take such big risks and spend so much draft capital.

6 hours ago, coachbuns said:

But what's stopping someone from negotiating with Denver or Cincinnati?  Especially at the price tag the Packers would likely want.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Kansas City? 

K.C. traded the No. 27 overall pick, a third-round pick and their 2018 first-round selection to the Buffalo Bills to move up to No. 10 to select Mahomes.

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:
15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

But what's stopping someone from negotiating with Denver or Cincinnati?  Especially at the price tag the Packers would likely want.

Nothing.  But, that's not the thought.  The thought is some GM out there may like a QB better than you and want to make a deal to move up.  Just saying it's a possibility and you aren't.

Thoughts on trading back with a team later in the first like maybe Oakland? Would it be possible to get their picks 24 & 27?  I saw the idea of drafting 2 OL and really liked the sound of it. But with this scenario we can make our offensive line a real strength, keep Rodgers upright and still get that edge guy we so desperately need.  

Archived