Eagles pick up Nick Foles option of 20 million (Nick Foles ops out)

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

What will the tag number be? $25 million? I think that hurts their ability to trade him. I'm sure they have a plan to clear $40 million in cap space so that they can tag him but I don't know if there will be a lot of teams willing to part with even a 3rd round pick knowing they have to have $25 million on the books for him in 2019. There will be other options out there like Teddy, Tannehill, Flacco, Taylor who would come cheaper and not cost a draft pick. Foles has shown he could do it on the big stage but he hasn't proved he can carry an organization to the big stage which is what you expect for that price. Should be interesting.

Except that this isn't like a franchise tender in that Foles has to sign the tender (essentially a "new" contract) in order to facilitate the trade; he just has to "not opt out by the deadline."  So any team traded for him could (and almost assuredly would) be able to extend him and still play with his 2019 cap-number because it wouldn't be awarding him a second contract in the same calendar year, it would be renegotiating terms of his existing contract while extending it - which is done all the time in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Except that this isn't like a franchise tender in that Foles has to sign the tender (essentially a "new" contract) in order to facilitate the trade; he just has to "not opt out by the deadline."  So any team traded for him could (and almost assuredly would) be able to extend him and still play with his 2019 cap-number because it wouldn't be awarding him a second contract in the same calendar year, it would be renegotiating terms of his existing contract while extending it - which is done all the time in the NFL.

I was responding to the claims that they would franchise him if he opted out.

I do believe after signing a franchise tender your salary for that year is set, you can still sign a long term deal (in a specified time frame) but you can't renegotiate the franchise tag year.

34 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I dont think Howie is trying to Fleece another Organization  into an absurd Trade but limit Foles options.

Yes I do believe  they will do everything  in there power to trade Nick to a Team/ Destination of his choosing "FOR LESS" if it means Keeping  him out of the NFCE as a Giant or Redskin.

People Don't need to get caught up in Franchise Tag Compensation being needed or expected to trade him, it's just a calculated ploy to get something, anything  of value back in return for what will be the #1 QB on the Market. That's all.

ZERO CHANCE, He is a Eagle in 2019. Only question is , for how much and is it the Jags??

I didn't claim they were trying to fleece anyone but just on the dollar amount alone it may be tough to move him with that dollar number for next year. I don't think you can renegotiate the franchise tag number for next year but you can extend him. I know they want to get what they can, any team would but that team has to have the space available and be willing to extend him meaning they would pretty much be going all in at least for a few years on Foles and I wouldn't want to do that unless my situation was dire and I thought I could compete right away. Otherwise I'd take the cheaper options that I didn't have to give up draft capital for like Bridgewater or Taylor or Flacco/Tannehill once they are released.

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I was responding to the claims that they would franchise him if he opted out.

I do believe after signing a franchise tender your salary for that year is set, you can still sign a long term deal (in a specified time frame) but you can't renegotiate the franchise tag year.

Yes, in the case of a franchise tender, the number is set because the player has to be "under contract" in order to be traded. Therefore he'd have to sign the franchise tender in order to facilitate the trade.  If he does opt out, I highly doubt they tag him.  That said, if Foles and the Eagles have a quality relationship (and there's every reason to believe they do), I don't see him opting out if they're amenable to trading him to one of his first-choice teams so long as it isn't in-division.

Worth a shot, if you can get a guaranteed pick for this year instead of leaving it up to the comp pick process.

Plus you can keep him away from the Skins and Giants. Or make them play a premium.

If they can make him a guaranteed pick and don't have to worry about comp picks, opens up maybe going after some guys in FA this year.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Yes, in the case of a franchise tender, the number is set because the player has to be "under contract" in order to be traded. Therefore he'd have to sign the franchise tender in order to facilitate the trade.  If he does opt out, I highly doubt they tag him.  That said, if Foles and the Eagles have a quality relationship (and there's every reason to believe they do), I don't see him opting out if they're amenable to trading him to one of his first-choice teams so long as it isn't in-division.

The article from Schefter on the last page says Foles is expected to opt out and the Eagles are planning on tagging and trading him.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25908384/philadelphia-eagles-expected-franchise-trade-nick-foles-sources-say

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It’s a mutual option - Foles can accept or he can decline and get a 2M option and hit the FA market.  

The thing is that by offering the 20M PHI then gets a comp pick value back if he declines. Given Case Keenum got 36M/2 last year and Foles might be the top FA on the market (only Teddy B would seem to generate similar interest and that’s on age / future projection), it’s no lock that Foles will renew the option.   The deadline for the option was coming up in the next week so unless PHI was willing to let Foles walk with no comp pick factoring in this seems like the team decision - trade him if he picks up the option, get a comp pick if he declines.  

Tannehill is probably getting cut. So that won't help Foles.

43 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Wonder if he wants to play in Jacksonville, Miami, or Denver. I'd imagine that's where he goes.

I'd think Jacksonville  with the addition of Flip as OC would be option #1. I dont see him wanting to learn a entirely  different offense that's not catered  to him like Flips would be. 

No state Tax

AFCCG 2 years ago

No snow. 

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:
1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

It is if Miami wants to swap out a Good QB for the one they're cutting?

I don't see Foles going there. I say he follows JDF to Jacksonville.

I agree because it makes to much sense, but stranger things have happened.

It would be Ironic though if the Back up QB who beat the Back up QB in last years NFCCG, replaces said Starting QB in Denver as their New QB?

For Nick's sake I'd  hope not but I put nothing past Elway.

Archived