Eagles pick up Nick Foles option of 20 million (Nick Foles ops out)

49erurtaza

5 hours ago, The LBC said:

Yes, in the case of a franchise tender, the number is set because the player has to be "under contract" in order to be traded. Therefore he'd have to sign the franchise tender in order to facilitate the trade.  If he does opt out, I highly doubt they tag him.  That said, if Foles and the Eagles have a quality relationship (and there's every reason to believe they do), I don't see him opting out if they're amenable to trading him to one of his first-choice teams so long as it isn't in-division.

What's in that for Foles though?  Other than doing a team he's no longer going to play for a solid?

If he's franchise tagged, that's one thing...but him being traded on his 2019 option doesn't make sense to me.  As an actual FA, he'll probably make more money for himself, and also not cost his new team an important piece of draft capital in trade.  He ends up making more money, fully in control of his own destiny, and with the team he signs with having that extra draft pick to spend on another piece to support him and help him win wherever he goes.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:35 PM, Nabbs4u said:

Yes I do believe  they will do everything  in there power to trade Nick to a Team/ Destination of his choosing "FOR LESS" if it means Keeping  him out of the NFCE as a Giant or Redskin.

1. Andy Reid is no longer in Philadelphia, so he cannot use his Jedi mind tricks to fleece Washington yet again on a QB.
  2. Washington doesn't have the cap space to pick up Foles contract. They especially won't have it if they do the smart thing and cut Smith and take the one year cap hit instead of spacing it out over three years.

On 2/3/2019 at 1:41 AM, Tugboat said:

What's in that for Foles though?  Other than doing a team he's no longer going to play for a solid?

If he's franchise tagged, that's one thing...but him being traded on his 2019 option doesn't make sense to me.  As an actual FA, he'll probably make more money for himself, and also not cost his new team an important piece of draft capital in trade.  He ends up making more money, fully in control of his own destiny, and with the team he signs with having that extra draft pick to spend on another piece to support him and help him win wherever he goes.

I feel like they are gonna just tag him to not piss him off and make him pay 2 million back.
Though now that I think of it they need to do it for comp pick reasons.

It really depends on how badly nick wants to be a starting QB...if they tag him and he signs right away he's forced to be a handsomely paid backup.
If he wants to start he waits until a deal is in place to sign. Cause if that trade never happens, they could just pull the tag and set him free.

We got 5 teams who need to address the QB position this year. (Jags, Skins, Broncos, Giants, Dolphins)
Two seemingly legitimate 1st round QBs in Haskins and Kyler, though they aren't plug and play guys by any stretch.
Then you have Teddy, Tyrod, RG3 and Bradford on the open market, for now. With Flacco and Nick available via trade.

Not a ton to pick from, and they don't need a bidding war between teams. They just need one to really need to get a guy.

It's certainly a risk, but it's not insane. Especially with Carson still on his Rookie deal.
You can make it work if it goes to hell. And you are left with year 3 of the best QB room in the league.

10 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

then the patriots get him for a 4th

Even though that trade is unlikely, what if he goes to somewhere like JAX and plays like he did in STL?  Two years later, he signs with NE as a backup and Brady gets hurt or retires soon after.  Foles gives BB new life and continues the dynasty.  Very dark timeline indeed.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:59 AM, Nabbs4u said:

As long as he's never a Giant,  I'd be fine with that fiasco of a situation. 

Need to clear 30+ million in cap space. Long, Lane Johnson, Wiseinewki, McLeod, Jernigan and Agholor should take care of that and give them enough space to sign rookies and replacements for those players.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Need to clear 30+ million in cap space. Long, Lane Johnson, Wiseinewki, McLeod, Jernigan and Agholor should take care of that and give them enough space to sign rookies and replacements for those players.

yea there is enough flexibility.

If it gets bad, maybe forces them to be the ones choosing how to end it with Peters. But with how much he had to check out in games this year...I have to think he's walking away. 

6 hours ago, KellChippy said:

Even though that trade is unlikely, what if he goes to somewhere like JAX and plays like he did in STL?  Two years later, he signs with NE as a backup and Brady gets hurt or retires soon after.  Foles gives BB new life and continues the dynasty.  Very dark timeline indeed.

You can’t hold his year with the Rams against him. Jeff Fisher. 

4 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

You can’t hold his year with the Rams against him. Jeff Fisher. 

If I held that against him, I wouldn’t fear him going to the Pats.  

I think it’s more likely he would sign for a third time in Philly if he doesn’t do well in a starting role elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, KellChippy said:

If I held that against him, I wouldn’t fear him going to the Pats.  

I think it’s more likely he would sign for a third time in Philly if he doesn’t do well in a starting role elsewhere.

I’m worried about Bortles going to New England myself. 

Archived