2019 Mock 1.0 (w/ trade projections and FA signings)

wcf1989

TOP FA's Changing Teams

LeVeon Bell signs 5 yr $85mill w/ New York Jets (Jets and Colts probably gonna have a bidding war)

Earl Thomas signs 3 yr $30mill w/ Dallas Cowboys (pretty much a lock. not all will be guaranteed, bonuses will be included)

Sheldon Richardson signs 4 yr $39mill w/ Buffalo Bills (Kyle Williams gone leaves big hole and he is versatile)

Tyrann Mathieu signs 3 yr $28mill w/ New York Giants (Were in play for him last year, with contract cuts coming like Vernon and potentially Jenkins as well, pairing Tyrann with Landon is a home run investment)

Lamarcus Joyner signs 5 yr $70mill w/ Indianapolis Colts (Tons of cap room to spend and if they miss out on Bell, this may be the next target they look at acquiring)

Brandon Graham signs 4 yr $65 mill w/ Oakland Raiders (Eagles are losing a lot in FA this year cause they are in cap hell. Raiders have enough space and need to make this deal)

Ndamakong Suh signs 2 yr $28mill w/ Cleveland Browns (Suh has cleaned up his act enough for teams to make a bit more of an investment in him. Cleveland pass rush is loving this)

Jay Ajayi signs 3 yr $14mill w/ Buffalo Bills (McCoy could possibly be moved but even if not, a bigger back is key to maintaining a balanced attack)

Golden Tate signs 4 yr $38mill w/ San Francisco 49ers (Jimmy G is coming back and adding another weapon is important)

Mark Ingram signs 3 yr $16mill w/ Kansas City Chiefs (Huge hole left with Hunt suspension and release. Ingram comes in as a Day 1 starter and a great weapon to keep that offense moving)

2019 NFL DRAFT

1.     Arizona Cardinals – Nick Bosa EDGE Ohio State

Cardinals need just about everything, so taking the BPA is an easy decision. Picking anyone else at 1 is just going to be an instance of overthinking.

2.     San Francisco 49ers – Josh Allen EDGE Kentucky

Solomon Thomas needs to step up but has played better inside than on the EDGE. Armstead, Buckner, Thomas, and then Allen would be a pretty interesting grouping on passing downs.  Allen can play OLB on 1st down.

TRADE

To Jets: 6th ovr, 37th ovr,  102nd ovr, 198th ovr, 2020 2nd rd pick

To Giants: 3rd ovr

3.     New York Giants (from NYJ) – Kyler Murray QB Oklahoma

The o-line got together pretty well 2nd half of the season, but still bottom of the league. Putting Murray, Barkley, OBJ on the field at the same time with Engram and Sheppard as compliments, instantly makes the Giants one of the most feared offenses in the league, and Murray’s elite athleticism, reminiscent of Vick, will protect (dare I say HIDE) the weaknesses of the line. As a Giants fan myself, if its not Murray, then I am okay with waiting for Tua or Herbert next year, hang tight at 6, maybe even trade back a bit, grab Devin White or Ferrell or Oliver....however it seems more and more likely that the Giants are going to cave to the pressure of people who frankly, don't actually watch their games and understand where the true weakness is, not saying Eli's age doesn't make him someone who needs to be replaced sooner rather than later.....but I feel the QBs outside of Murray are extremely overrated by analysts this class.

4.     Oakland Raiders – Quinnen Williams DL Alabama

Top pass rushers are off the board, but there is some very solid mid to late 1st rd prospects that can fill that need. BPA is the move. With projected signings, they have dramatically improved their lackluster D-Line.

5.     Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Greedy Williams CB LSU

They need to be able to play strong on passing downs. Greedy is a Sherman-esque player who will only improve once he gets into an NFL training room.

6.     New York Jets (from NYG) – Jonah Williams OT Alabama

They did the reverse of what they did last year, and move down to 6 from 3. They get the exact player they wanted at 3 but added some draft capital lost in the trade for Darnold, ironically a pick made to protect their franchise QB. He can also play Guard, he is more of a Brandon Scherff/Justin Pugh type than most are projecting at the moment.

7.     Jacksonville Jaguars – Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

Bortles leads the league in INT, overall turnovers, and pick 6’s since becoming a starter……Bortles is better than this team has made him look, and I think if given the chance he will find success somewhere else, let’s hope Haskins isn’t ruined also.

8.     Detroit Lions – Rashan Gary DL Michigan

What a dream situation. A home-grown talent sticks around and he is the prototype for a defensive lineman in that Matt Patricia system, adopted from Bill Belichick. He will play outside on early downs and bump inside on 3rd downs. The question is, is he JJ Watt or Adrian Clayborn?

9.     Buffalo Bills – Ed Oliver DL Houston

Kyle Williams is gone. The top OT is off the board, Oliver was a top 5 talent who teams at the top somehow fell out of love with. A steal they can’t pass on here. Even with signing Richardson as projected, they can still fit Oliver in and move the older Star Loutelelei and his over sized contract out. They have Harrison Phillips, drafted last year at DT, but Oliver is far too good and Phillips did little to secure a spot in the starting lineup.

10. Denver Broncos – DeAndre Baker CB Georgia

The pass rush is looking dominant, but now they need the cover guys. They would love Greedy to drop, but they land a great player to provide youth to an aging group led by Chris Harris.

11. Cincinnati Bengals – Devin White ILB LSU

Similar to Roquan Smith and they may trade up with Detroit or Buffalo to guarantee they get him. Burfict is likely gone as a cap causality. Why does Cincinnati feel like they are never getting any younger?

TRADE

To Green Bay: 15th ovr, 77th ovr

To Washington: 12th ovr, 112th ovr

12. Washington Redskins (from GB) – Will Grier QB West Virginia

May be a stretch, but Alex Smith went down and the entire team collapsed. This is on the assumption that they realize Smith, if he plays again, is doing so in Year 14, and that they sign Tyrod or Bridgewater. Grier does not have to play immediately if they can bring in a vet (see Baker Mayfield).

13. Miami Dolphins – Drew Lock QB Missouri

They will probably sign Tyrod and repeat the Browns blueprint of this past season. They have other needs but they make sure to land a QB now and use the deep defensive draft to build around him, They are likely disappointed Washington leapfrogged them but Grier and Lock, as of this writing, are looking pretty close grade wise.

14. Atlanta Falcons – Dexter Lawrence DL Clemson

Soft rebuilds, especially on the defensive line, seem to be the move of a lot of teams this year, and the strength of this class allows it to happen with confidence.

15. Green Bay Packers (from WAS) – Clelin Ferrell EDGE Clemson

Much like the Jets trade down, GB had their eyes set on someone and they got him while acquiring an upgrade later on. With 4 QBS off the board, their pick at 30 may no longer be a “trade up spot” but they ensure they get a 5th yr option on a pass rusher now.

16. Carolina Panthers – Jachai Polite EDGE Florida

Peppers has retired. Addison doesn’t pop off the screen. They will also look at CB but they can likely find one in the 2nd rd, even if they need to leapfrog a few teams to do so.

17. Cleveland Browns – Marquise Brown WR Oklahoma

Put Baker and Marquise back together, this time on an NFL field. The one thing the Browns do lack is WR depth. Landry is solid, Callaway flashed but didn’t amaze.

18. Minnesota Vikings – Greg Little OT Ole Miss

Something about Ole Miss players over the last 10 years have screamed disappointing. Vikes take a chance on another Ole Miss player and hope this hits. They paid Cousins more than they should have, so make sure he is protected.

TRADE

To Tennessee: 24th ovr, 100th ovr, 2020 5th rd pick

To Oakland: 19th ovr

19. Oakland Raiders – Devin Bush ILB Michigan

This may surprise but who is the leader of the Raiders defense? Who is their defenses QB? They really got no one to fill that role right now. They are completely average at best in their LB corps and Devin Bush is looking more and more like this drafts version of Darius Leonard. Must leapfrog Pittsburgh to land him.

20. Pittsburgh Steelers – AJ Brown WR Ole Miss

Stay tuned….

21. Seattle Seahawks – Brian Burns EDGE Florida State

Instant shot in the arm to their pass rush, and he can play OLB on early downs.

22. Baltimore Ravens – Cody Ford OL Oklahoma

Everyone is screaming WR but clearly didn’t watch Lamar Jackson play. He barely targeted his WR’s, which is why last year Hurst and Andrews at TE were drafted. Ford can play across the whole OL, and will eventually be a permanent and seamless replacement for Marshal Yanda.

23. Houston Texans – Byron Murphy CB Washington

Their pass rush is elite level, but they need CBs to assist that pass rush as well. The ideal situation is to be able to apply pressure with 4, 5 guys max, leaving these CBs to put in some work.

24. Tennessee Titans (from OAK via CHI) – Noah Fant TE iowa

Delanie Walker is not getting younger or healthier. Fant is a beast and his combine numbers will only help him.

25. Philadelphia Eagles – Montez Sweat EDGE Mississippi State

They are in salary cap hell. Likely to lose Brandon Graham and will have to make some cuts along the way. Sweat and Barnett should be a very good duo moving forward. They hope that their cap allows them to only "soft rebuild" and not lose too many key pieces. Foles being moved and Alshon restructuring his deal will be paramount for the Eagles in the offseason.

26. Indianapolis Colts – Christian Wilkins DL Clemson

I expect them to use the crazy amount of cap room to make at least 1 big splash in FA, whether it be Bell or Joyner as projected to pair with Hooker.They have an early 2nd round pick so look at them as another team to potentially trade back into the 1st rd to land that 5th yr option on a WR.

TRADE

To Oakland: WR Antonio Brown

To Pittsburgh: 27th ovr, 131st ovr, 2020 3rd rd pick

27. Pittsburgh Steelers (from OAK via DAL) – Jawaan Taylor OT Florida

Antonio isn’t happy, so they move him, ironically in a trade including the pick acquired for Amari Cooper. They picked up a WR named A. Brown earlier to fill that long term void. With no ILB worth a top level pick, they continue to build their OL. I understand this is a tricky trade to project, feel free to rip it apart in the comment section.

28. Los Angeles Chargers – Dalton Risner OT Kansas State

They are a very complete and balanced team but there is always room to improve in the trenches. Early teams already got their QBS so it weakened the trade up possibilities.

29. Kansas City Chiefs – Deionte Thompson FS Alabama

A fairly easy selection. Fills the only need they really have. Get a RB in the 2nd rd and they will have the most complete roster in football. If this do not land a RB in FA to fill a full-time starter role than look for them to pick a RB in 2nd round just because no RB grades as high as those in the last couple of years.

TRADE

To Green Bay: 37th ovr and 99th

To NY Jets:  30th ovr and 108th

30. New York Jets (from GB via NO) – Yodney Cajuste OT West Virginia

The Jets make a move to acquire that 5th year option on another guy to come in and protect Sam Darnold. Cajuste falls a bit but the order in which OL will be taken kind of goes out the window once, ironically, Jonah Williams is taken. Jonah Williams is much like Brandon Scherff in Washington, so he could end up playing RT or even inside at OG. This would be out of the Dallas Cowboys school of draft strategy. The potential of this offense now along with projected FA signings....oh boy.

31. Los Angeles Rams – Oshane Ximines EDGE Old Dominion

Edge Rusher is really the only weak spot on their defense. Suh has a big time asking price, but interior line isn’t nearly as much of a need as EDGE even if Suh leaves. Returning Morgan Fox and Dominique Easley, provides more ability to manuever on their interior line in the absence of Suh.

32. New England Patriots – Irv Smith Jr TE Alabama

Its crazy that Gronk is more of a retirement risk than Brady, but the reality is, Brady is probably going to play longer. Making sure he has an effective TE to go along with a stronger run game brought on by last years 1st rd pick Sony Michel, this extends Brady’s career and opens up to take a QB in round 2 or wait til next year and see what happens.

4 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

I struggle to believe the Bills will go heavy for DTs early in the draft and big in FA and not touch by far their biggest issue. Their O line.

struggle no longer. they have a pick in round 2 and later that can be used on offensive lineman, also there are mid-level FA's on o-line that I am sure they would make a play for to help those needs as well.

9 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

i can get behind getting haskins and not having to trade up for him. him or Murray is Ideal for the jags IMO. 

I personally believe these QBs are overrated for the most part, its just the league needs to constantly promote new and young QBs. I'm not saying this is the EJ Manuel/Geno Smith class of QBs but the strength of the defensive positions in this draft I think will make teams more content to stay put and see who falls. I do think the Jags stay put because they did have a lot of issues that had nothing to do with Bortles (Fournette injury, o-line injuries, lack of WR depth, etc.) but public pressure I think is what makes them move on from him

11 hours ago, crfalker05 said:

As a G.B. fan, not nearly enough value on the 2nd trade down. Fine with the first one, but would need more, especially considering the last 3 players picked 

trades are weird to predict sometimes. I am sure they would move up another pick as well later in the draft with that trade.

9 hours ago, Beast said:

As a Packers fan, this might be a great draft for them, though I'm not sure if Ferrell is gonna fall out of the top 8 much less to 15.

Ferrell and Oliver seem to be the 2 hardest guys to mock outside the QBs. 

3 hours ago, wcf1989 said:

struggle no longer. they have a pick in round 2 and later that can be used on offensive lineman, also there are mid-level FA's on o-line that I am sure they would make a play for to help those needs as well.

I still disagree. They spent big last season on free agency DT. No way do they load up so much cap space

I will say to you what I just said in the last mock I looked at. WR is not even in the top 4 of the Browns needs maybe even top 5 or 6. 

1. DT

2. LB 

3. Weak side DE

4. Tie for OT and CB 

A lot of Browns fans would say a 2nd TE is a bigger need then WR so I'm really confused why everyone has us taking a WR in mocks. 

Archived