2019 Hall of Fame class announced

Apparition

Just now, mse326 said:

Calling someone a homer is not insulting. You'd have been banned long ago if that's true as that is your go to move.

And I reject that you addressed it on his terms. That was the whole point of my second post that you seemed to ignore. Single season is not the same as career. INTs being driven by opportunity that you have no control of, and mixing Safeties into your analysis are two big reasons.

And even if you wanted to respond in kind saying I'm not following the conversation when I specifically said I was is just plain false. So it doesn't even make sense.

Just to get this straight, you're saying that single-season INT totals is a good stat for judging the effectiveness of a CB? We both know the answer is no.

And yes, calling somebody a homer is insulting. It's simply something we choose to ignore. You may think I deserve it, but you can't then complain when I fire shots back.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Just to get this straight, you're saying that single-season INT totals is a good stat for judging the effectiveness of a CB? We both know the answer is no.

And yes, calling somebody a homer is insulting. It's simply something we choose to ignore. You may think I deserve it, but you can't then complain when I fire shots back.

Nope. In the first post I made I said I don't think it's relevant. Doesn't make it the same as career.

No saying your homer or that you are letting bias get in the way is not insulting. And your shots telling me that I'm not following a conversation when I specifically acknowledged the statement that you think I didn't look at is not the same. At best what I said was insulting (which I don't think it is). Yours was talking down to someone. That is different.

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

Nope. In the first post I made I said I don't think it's relevant. Doesn't make it the same as career.

No saying your homer or that you are letting bias get in the way is not insulting. And your shots telling me that I'm not following a conversation when I specifically acknowledged the statement that you think I didn't look at is not the same. At best what I said was insulting (which I don't think it is). Yours was talking down to someone. That is different.

Bahahaha. Yeah, we're done here.

2 hours ago, bomont said:

You kids crack me up.   Shame you never saw Ronnie Lott in action.

And to be fair I never saw Paul Krause or Yale Lary, who both also deserve consideration.

Ed Reed's INT rate is so far ahead of the next highest guy (Darren Sharper) it's ridiculous. Ronnie Lott is a great safety, though.

3 hours ago, tom cody said:

Congrats to the new Hall of Famers. All well deserved but I think I'd have put in a few other guys before I put Ty Law in.

I think Law deserves it because he was so significant in big playoff games. More so than any Patriots defender during their long run. He gets a boost because he's integral to the "story" on the NFL.

I posted this in another thread but I think it's worth mentioning so people can see where the guys the think should have made it actually landed. Bruce was not close this year while Edge actually was close to making it. 

The last five removed from consideration were Steve Atwater, Tony Boselli, Alan Faneca, Steve Hutchinson and Edgerrin James. Interesting. 

With a weak crop of first year eligible players coming next year, (Reggie Wayne, Troy P and Justin Willis being the big names) I think it will be a year to get some of this backlog off the books. Specifically Safety and Offensive Linemen. My early guess would be no first year players make the cut. 

Atwater

Hutch

Faneca

James

Bruce

I could see a scenario where James doesn't make it next year either, as there really won't be a backlog at RB ever again and he can make it in coming years. Maybe in 2021 with Manning. I would replace him with Coryell who has been on the ballot and has been close for many years. 

16 hours ago, seriously27 said:

With a weak crop of first year eligible players coming next year, (Reggie Wayne, Troy P and Justin Willis being the big names) I think it will be a year to get some of this backlog off the books. Specifically Safety and Offensive Linemen. My early guess would be no first year players make the cut. 

I agree.  Though the following year you have two first timers who are probably locks - Peyton Manning and Charles Woodson.  So it's a short reprieve.  

On 2/3/2019 at 5:28 PM, wackywabbit said:

I think Law deserves it because he was so significant in big playoff games. More so than any Patriots defender during their long run. He gets a boost because he's integral to the "story" on the NFL.

IMO trying not to be too much of a homer, but Im not sure how you put in Ty Law and keep shelving Steve Atwater, especially with the huge push he got leading up to the announcement. My guess is that there was no way they were going to put in 3 DEN players in 1 class so they had to leave one out until next year and Law got in over Atwater because Bowlen/Bailey existed.

I dont know how you put Ty Law in the HOF in year 5 of eligibility but keep Atwater out in year 14 of eligibility. Regardless of who people think is a better player, there is no way in hell Law is 9 years of HOF eligibility better than Atwater.

On 2/3/2019 at 12:37 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Ed Reed - the best FS to ever do it.

Of all the Ravens players i have watched over the years , I  admire his game he most 

playing Sizzle, Ray, and Reed was a difficult task for terrible offense. 

Archived