What would you do with Mychal Kendricks?

Phire

Mychal seems to have been touched by the football god (aka Fred-Ex) this preseason. He couldn't have done more to increase his value. When he isn't getting blown up by blockers or over-pursuing, he's getting sacks, picking off QBs, even scoring touchdowns.

He has already requested a trade.

Were also arguably thin at LB.

Do we still trade him? And for what? A draft pick, or some asset that helps us this season?

Or would you keep him?

I was looking into this a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure we'd take a pretty big hit still to trade him this year. 

But I don't mince words with Kendricks. I've seen enough. He has too many deficiencies to play 3 downs and that is not worth the money he's making. I would love to have a team fall in love with him and offer something way more than his value but I'm pretty sure he'll be here come next year and then you can move on. I'm fine with being on the team this year. He has value in situations. But it's clear he isn't utilized much and won't be this year either so might as well get something for him now. 

And I think out LB depth is underrated. I like our backups. 

They're showcasing him to get the best value. He's looked awesome this preseason. 

If the Eagles were planning on him playing a big role on the Eagles defense this year, he wouldn't be out there with the 2nd team and against the Dolphins backups. Especially not after how good he's looked so far. 

I think they're trying to extract as much value out of this situation as possible.

After all the moves and cuts they've set themselves up with a good position. Don't NEED to free up the few mil that getting rid of him would make, still have cap roll over into next year, he's nice to have and can make a few plays but if a good offer comes along we have just enough depth and are in nickel enough that we can take it and not create a big problem. I think just take it easy, plan as if you have them but if something great comes along, cool.

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

His INT's have come on tipped balls, I don't find that as impressive as I do lucky.

While true, I feel like GMs like to see stat sheets they can point to in order to justify their moves. It helps, lucky or not.

4 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Keep him, let him make his splash plays when he's on the field (and provide depth at LB) and trade him in the off-season to free up cap space to resign Jeffrey and Jernigan

This!!

However in the end Howie's going to trade him for a box of Juicy Fruits if he can. I'm curious though how much he plays next week? You want to continue to showcase him to drive up his value but don't want him to get injured. Less he plays more apt teams GM's believe he'll be on the teams 53, thus let's trade for him before cuts.

50 minutes ago, Phire said:

While true, I feel like GMs like to see stat sheets they can point to in order to justify their moves. It helps, lucky or not.

2 of the 3 came on tips.  The first he read the QB nicely and made a break on the ball.  Regardless, even outside of the picks, he's been an impact player.

4 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I was looking into this a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure we'd take a pretty big hit still to trade him this year.

Yep, it would cost us approx 5.25 mil to trade him or we could just keep him for 6.6 mil and trade him next year. (Used overthecap this time ;))

He's not going anywhere unless we get blown away with an offer, a 4-5th isn't worth eating the money, a 1 or a 2 might be.

7 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Yep, it would cost us approx 5.25 mil to trade him or we could just keep him for 6.6 mil and trade him next year. (Used overthecap this time ;))

He's not going anywhere unless we get blown away with an offer, a 4-5th isn't worth eating the money, a 1 or a 2 might be.

KOBEFACEPALM.gif

9 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I guess the word might wasn't definitive enough. A first or second is definitely enough to eat Kendricks contract I just don't think anyone out there is willing to pay that.

Better?

If that's what you meant, then you should've said "would be" and added the caveat that you don't think it would happen.

I agree with what you're saying now. No way a team offers a 1 or a 2.

If a team offered a 3rd rounder. I would seriously consider taking the cap hit and playing Joe Walker there who I like.

I mean Kendricks is only on the field for like 30% of the plays as he comes off the field in nickel.

We don't know if we'll be able to trade him in the off-season next year. Teams will be looking to FA and the draft. 

A trade would need to come in training camp or right before the season just like it would this year.

Who knows then if we would be able to get something as good as a 3rd rounder for him. What if he disappoints again this season?

Also, the cap hit next year is still 3.2 million which is only 1.6 million less of a cap hit than it would cost to trade him now.

Keeping him improves our depth, but I think I would value a 3rd rounder next year when we don't have a day 2 pick more than what he would provide this year.

If we trade him we would also would be off the hook for any of his contract next year which would be nice.

Archived