Bears HC Matt Nagy wins COTY

SteelKing728

42 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

I’m not taking credit away from Nagy. Stop assuming that was my point because I’m a Packer fan. It’s ignorant. Nagy did a fantastic job and deserves to be recognized for it. There is no argument against the job he did in just one year. It was a very impressive year for Nagy. 

My point, which I’ve made in past years here, was that the award is stupid because all it really does is award the best new coach or the coach with the best turnaround. It completely ignores the coaches that keep their teams competitive every year and that’s MUCH more impressive of a task. It’s not Coach of the Year because the best, most consistent coaches, are always overlooked. 

I agree with you but that's not the point of this thread.  It's to recognize Nagy for the job he did in turning around that Bears team. 

13 hours ago, Activated10 said:

He doesn't dseseve this, many people had Bears making playoffs when they got Mack. Reich and Carroll deserve HC. Colts looking like bottom 5 team before season started and Seahawks were supposed to be in rebuild, almost guaranteed to finish last in division. Both coaches did much better jobs than Nagy

I dont remember this at all. Alot of people were saying the Bears gave the Raiders 2 top ten picks after the tade as they thought the Mack trade didnt push then in to a playoff spot let alone sniffing the playoffs.

36 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I agree with you but that's not the point of this thread.  It's to recognize Nagy for the job he did in turning around that Bears team. 

I mean, when else would be a good time to talk about it? This thread has been open since Saturday night and has only 2 pages so it’s not like it’s overflowing with content and it’s unreasonable to talk about the award itself, and not just this years winner. 

On 2/3/2019 at 9:04 PM, topwop1 said:

Of course a Packers fan would point this out. We all know BB is the best coach in the league. We also know that this award is not going to ever go to BB ever unless something crazy happens. Give it up man and give credit where it's due.

It should be called the Belichick award IMO. 

On 2/4/2019 at 12:04 AM, Activated10 said:

He doesn't dseseve this, many people had Bears making playoffs when they got Mack. Reich and Carroll deserve HC. Colts looking like bottom 5 team before season started and Seahawks were supposed to be in rebuild, almost guaranteed to finish last in division. Both coaches did much better jobs than Nagy

Most people (myself included) was looking at them like a 7-8 win team before the Mack trade and a 8-9 win team afterwards. The defense was already good last year (before injures piled on), so they the potential were already on pace to improve. But nobody estimated them to be as healthy as they were and how much of an effect Mack would have on the players individual performance and as a whole.

Most of Bears fans were not expecting them to be a playoff contender. Much less going 11-5 with a #3 seed.

Nagy helped bring back hope to a team that had lost it's identity since the Lovie days and instilled a confidence in both players and fans that has been missing for nearly a decade. 

I think he deserves the award. But me personally based on my issues with him, I also would not have had no problem with not winning the award the either.

On 2019-02-04 at 2:07 PM, DABEARSLCF04 said:

I dont remember this at all. Alot of people were saying the Bears gave the Raiders 2 top ten picks after the tade as they thought the Mack trade didnt push then in to a playoff spot let alone sniffing the playoffs.

It seemed like a lot of fans were laughing at Raiders for trading Mack to the Bears because the move made them division contenders. That's what I got from media and fans from foruns

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Most people (myself included) was looking at them like a 7-8 win team before the Mack trade and a 8-9 win team afterwards. The defense was already good last year (before injures piled on), so they the potential were already on pace to improve. But nobody estimated them to be as healthy as they were and how much of an effect Mack would have on the players individual performance and as a whole.

Most of Bears fans were not expecting them to be a playoff contender. Much less going 11-5 with a #3 seed.

Nagy helped bring back hope to a team that had lost it's identity since the Lovie days and instilled a confidence in both players and fans that has been missing for nearly a decade. 

I think he deserves the award. But me personally based on my issues with him, I also would not have had no problem with not winning the award the either.

Look what you just said, fans expected Bears to win 8-9 games and they won 11. Most people had Colts being winning 5 games or less and Colts won 10. Most people had Seahawks as rebuilding team and finishing last in division and bam won 10 games.

Reich and Carroll did much better coaching jobs than Nagy. Even if you and many Bears fans didn't expect to make playoffs, at worst you thought Bears would be middle of the pack team. Colts and Seahawks fans wildest dreams did not expect playoffs so I think Reich or Carroll deserve HCOY 

On 2019-02-05 at 12:10 PM, Boltstrikes said:

It should be called the Belichick award IMO. 

Agreed, the NFL should find some way of honoring him besides the obvious HOF enshrinement. Not that it should matter or change anyone's perception but it does feel kind of weird that from almost two decades of domination as the best coach in the league, Bill Belichick has just 3 COTY to show for it. But then again, I don't actually have an issue as to how it's rewarded as it isn't about "Best Coach of the Year", rather "Overachieving (from expectations) Coach of the Year" - kind of like NBA's most improved player award. 

On 2/6/2019 at 1:17 AM, Activated10 said:

Look what you just said, fans expected Bears to win 8-9 games and they won 11. Most people had Colts being winning 5 games or less and Colts won 10. Most people had Seahawks as rebuilding team and finishing last in division and bam won 10 games.

Reich and Carroll did much better coaching jobs than Nagy. Even if you and many Bears fans didn't expect to make playoffs, at worst you thought Bears would be middle of the pack team. Colts and Seahawks fans wildest dreams did not expect playoffs so I think Reich or Carroll deserve HCOY 

They won 12, and probably should have won 14 if not 15.  And yes after the Mack trade people changed their expectations from being a 5-7 win team near the bottom of the division to being a 7-9 win team competing for a wc.  Personally I would have had no problem with any of Nagy, Carroll, Reich, and maybe even Linn winning it, but to say Nagy wasnt deserving is ridiculous 

19 hours ago, Activated10 said:

How have my expected wins been proven false

I already explained this. Damn near nobody expected the Bears to be a playoff team. Especially in a division with the Vikings and Packers. The Vikings had just finished 13-3, made it the NFCC game and was one poor tackle away from a super bowl appearance and the Packers had the 2nd best QB in the league coming back from injury.

Not even 95% of all Bears fans had them making the playoffs and rightfully so. We're talking about a team who have won ~20 games in the last FOUR years combined.

Need more evidence other than Bears fans? See the vegas odds post-Mack trade. https://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/nfl-over-under-win-totals

The Bears expected wins were T-24th worst in the league at 6.5 wins (Tied with the Colts BTW) and the Seahawks estimated wins were 8.

-----------------------------

So yes, as I already explained to you, your expected wins have been proven false. 

And because good coaching goes far beyond more than just team records. I'll you ask again. What are some of the things that Reich and Carol did better than Nagy?

But I suspect you will keep ignoring this question.

13 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I already explained this. Damn near nobody expected the Bears to be a playoff team. Especially in a division with the Vikings and Packers. The Vikings had just finished 13-3, made it the NFCC game and was one poor tackle away from a super bowl appearance and the Packers had the 2nd best QB in the league coming back from injury.

Not even 95% of all Bears fans had them making the playoffs and rightfully so. We're talking about a team who have won ~20 games in the last FOUR years combined.

Need more evidence other than Bears fans? See the vegas odds post-Mack trade. https://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/nfl-over-under-win-totals

The Bears expected wins were T-24th worst in the league at 6.5 wins (Tied with the Colts BTW) and the Seahawks estimated wins were 8.

-----------------------------

So yes, as I already explained to you, your expected wins have been proven false. 

And because good coaching goes far beyond more than just team records. I'll you ask again. What are some of the things that Reich and Carol did better than Nagy?

But I suspect you will keep ignoring this question.

I'm wrong and you're right, seems like most people weren't expecting Bears to be good. I was basing this on watching TV shows and seemed to remember a lot of media were hyping the Bears after the Mack trade, maybe remembered wrong. 

Nagy deserves the COTY, congrats to him 

Archived