Saquon Barkley wins AP Offensive Rookie of the Year

Danger

1 minute ago, Tyty said:

I mean with Browns qbs any sort of positive season is pretty much historic 

True, but what he did being on any team would be pretty special. Stats don't tell the whole story, he was pretty amazing. His own team was bottom 3 in defensive yards given up. They were opportunistic early on with turnovers but in my opinion too talented to be that far down the list even for a bend but don't break defense. Get closer to the middle of the pack as a defense and Baker looks better because he will have more wins and have to take less chances to pile up those wins.

There wasn't a situation that was too big for him in his rookie year or a challenge he didn't accept. Pretty good for a QB that the referees says can be hit in the head.

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

First part: ok and? Yards is a terrible measure.  It has virtually no correlation to winning.  

As for ranking defenses, CIN, KC, ATL, TB are in the bottom 6 in virtually every category.  (The 5th in passing is cleveland) at the time they played PIT they were 30th in pass defense.

For me, and granted this is just my opinion is that greatness is determined by what you do against the highest levels of competition.  That's why so many people call Brady the GOAT.

Again, what measure are you using? Only TB was bottom 5 in passer rating against which is about as good as you're going to use for an opposing pass defense.

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

First part: ok and? Yards is a terrible measure.  It has virtually no correlation to winning.  

As for ranking defenses, CIN, KC, ATL, TB are in the bottom 6 in virtually every category.  (The 5th in passing is cleveland) at the time they played PIT they were 30th in pass defense.

For me, and granted this is just my opinion is that greatness is determined by what you do against the highest levels of competition.  That's why so many people call Brady the GOAT.

Also you have to look at the learning curves of positions. RBs can come in and be instant studs. Examples This year, Chubb Lindsay and Barkley. Kareem Hunt the year before that, Zeke and Howard the year before that, Gurley the year before that. 

You don’t see many rookie QBs come in and do the things Baker did. You don’t see established vets be as efficient as Baker was in the red zones this year. 

C’mon you can’t compare Baker to Brady. That’s just unfair. But if you want to. Brady wasn’t brady the first couple of years. He was more so a prolific game manager than a playmaker. Heck his first 5 seasons as a starter he avg around 25TDs and 225yards a game. After Brady Tore his ACL that’s when he truly took his game to the next level. Heck post ACL Brady is a 1st ballot HoF. You could throw out everything he did prior to the ACL. Shows you how crazy good he was. 

Dont act like Barkley tore it up every game cause he didn’t. He had some duds vs some bad run defenses. 

21 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Dont act like Barkley tore it up every game cause he didn’t. He had some duds vs some bad run defenses. 

Houston and NO were 1 and 2 in run defense per attempt. He had 82 and 44 yards rushing in those games, decent. Chicago was 3rd and Dallas was 4th he had 125, 109 and 28 in those games, again decent. His best rushing games, Philadelphia, Washington and TB were all bottom 12 run defense per rush. He averaged less than 4 per carry in 7 games. He also had more negative runs than anyone else. That has already been discussed though, not his fault. His offensive line was bad. He did have over a yard per carry more than Chubb before first contact and a yard and a half less per carry after first contact but that was um, his lines fault too somehow. Barkley had a great year. He wasn't otherworldly and I don't think it was even better than Kamara's rookie season the year before but he is a homerun hitter and chicks dig that.

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Again, what measure are you using? Only TB was bottom 5 in passer rating against which is about as good as you're going to use for an opposing pass defense.

How about ypp, total yards, scoring, dvoa, do I really need to go on? He had 17 TDs against the bottom tier of defenses in the entire league in 6 games, and 10 TDs against everybody else in 9 games.  

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Also you have to look at the learning curves of positions. RBs can come in and be instant studs. Examples This year, Chubb Lindsay and Barkley. Kareem Hunt the year before that, Zeke and Howard the year before that, Gurley the year before that. 

You don’t see many rookie QBs come in and do the things Baker did. You don’t see established vets be as efficient as Baker was in the red zones this year. 

C’mon you can’t compare Baker to Brady. That’s just unfair. But if you want to. Brady wasn’t brady the first couple of years. He was more so a prolific game manager than a playmaker. Heck his first 5 seasons as a starter he avg around 25TDs and 225yards a game. After Brady Tore his ACL that’s when he truly took his game to the next level. Heck post ACL Brady is a 1st ballot HoF. You could throw out everything he did prior to the ACL. Shows you how crazy good he was. 

If you think I'm comparing Mayfield to Brady, you're out of your mind.  I was just using Brady as an example of a guy who rises to the highest level of competition. I'm not saying Baker is bad, or even not good.  All I've said is that just pointing to the 2nd half of the season when he had the fortune of playing the worst defenses in the NFL and saying this is proof that Bakernis 2nd only to Mahomes is disingenuous at best.  He was an average qb against everybody who wasnt in the bottom tier in the NFL in defense.  Congratulations. 

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

If you think I'm comparing Mayfield to Brady, you're out of your mind.  I was just using Brady as an example of a guy who rises to the highest level of competition. I'm not saying Baker is bad, or even not good.  All I've said is that just pointing to the 2nd half of the season when he had the fortune of playing the worst defenses in the NFL and saying this is proof that Bakernis 2nd only to Mahomes is disingenuous at best.  He was an average qb against everybody who wasnt in the bottom tier in the NFL in defense.  Congratulations. 

What he did vs the Ravens twice was avg?

19 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

How about ypp, total yards, scoring, dvoa, do I really need to go on? He had 17 TDs against the bottom tier of defenses in the entire league in 6 games, and 10 TDs against everybody else in 9 games.  

Well I'm not gonna fact check your numbers because he didn't play in 15 games so you are wrong. What does it matter if he faces a good run defense? Why wouldn't you judge passing defense against a QB?

Well, even as a Giants' fan, as I am, I have to admit that their mighty offensive line had a lot to do with Barkley's success.

Pretty sure that Trent Richardson could've gained 1,500 yards behind Patrick Omameh....Ereck Flowers...... Chad Wheeler....... and several different backup centers!

Image result for new york giants offensive lineman 2019 Omameh Flowers

8 hours ago, bzane said:

Pretty sure that Trent Richardson could've gained 1,500 yards behind Patrick Omameh....Ereck Flowers...... Chad Wheeler....... and several different backup centers!

I don't think T-Rich would have had 200 more rushing yards than Barkley. Nick Chubb maybe, he had 750 rushing yards in 9 starts.

I think Quenton Nelson should have won.

Not only was he an All-Pro, but his team improved from 4-12 to 10-6. Obvi, he was not the only reason why, but he made the rest of the OL better and the improved OL made the rest of the team better. And helped to keep the qb healthier.

Not going to happen, since OG do not touch the ball other than to recover fumbles, but I think he was the best rookie and the rookie who helped his team the most.

Archived