Mike Evans maybe on a HOF pace?

TecmoSuperJoe

Numbers wise, what he's done his first five seasons is pretty impressive. Even for this era. Already has 40 touchdowns, has gone over 1000 yards every year, and has over 6000 receiving yards to this point. He's been pretty healthy as well, not missing much time. He's only 25 now, and will have just turned 26 at the start of the 2019 season. Personally, I think he's been fringe 10 ten the majority of his career, but never yet in the conversation for best in the NFL in any year, which is a huge knock. Still, numbers wise, it's a remarkable pace thus far. But HOF pace? What do you think?

I don't think he's on the HOF pace. He isn't in the conversation for top 5 WR's and may never get there at this point. He might deserve it, but the Hall of Fame is usually reserved for dudes that are considered top 5 players at their position in their era. I don't think Evans will ever get there, especially with that idiot throwing him passes in TB.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think he's on the HOF pace. He isn't in the conversation for top 5 WR's and may never get there at this point. He might deserve it, but the Hall of Fame is usually reserved for dudes that are considered top 5 players at their position in their era. I don't think Evans will ever get there, especially with that idiot throwing him passes in TB.

Mike Evans was an all pro in 2016 with jameis at QB

I'm not seeing it.  I expect down the road, we'll see a lot more WRs with great numbers being passed on if they aren't bringing anything else with it.  Evans is obviously good, and the numbers are there, but he's simply not on the level of Beckham, Brown, Julio, etc.

I'd say his situation is similar to Chad Johnson.  Johnson had a 6 year stretch where he averaged 1330 yards and 8 touchdowns.  But like Evans isn't on the level of the aforementioned names, Johnson was a step (or five) behind guys like Moss, Owens, Harrison, etc.  Considering Johnson was/is a lot more memorable than Evans, albeit for his antics (which I loved but I guess isn't for everypne), and doesn't get any Hall of Fame talk, I don't see why Evans would.  Only difference is at Evans age, he will probably finish with even better career numbers but that's gonna be the case for a lot of WRs soon.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

People don’t understand the concept of pace or that he’s 25. He was drafted when he was 20. Most players are 21-23 when drafted. There are players out there people don’t think of as HoF talent that made the HoF because of longevity, and consistently good players that missed that if given two extra prime seasons (like Evans has the potential to have) would have narrowly made it. 

If you take Hines Ward, Chad Johnson, Anquon Boldin, Edgerine James, Matt Forte, level careers and add two extra prime seasons, a lot of those guys would have made it. 

With regards to Evans, IDK. If he has five more years like his first five and then slowly declines for five years he just might make it depending on how other high end receivers of his generation finish. 

Edited by patriotsheatyan

Nah. Never been an elite receiver or really even in the conversation to push those top guys. Maybe that changes at some point, but it hasn’t happened yet. Evans is a very good receiver, though.

• 1 year later...

He has 11 touchdown this year could finish with another (7 straight) 1000 yard seasons, I think he's definitely on pace. Especially now that he's playing with Brady and the teams actually good. Next year with Brady will be even better.

He has 8000+ yards at 15.5 YPC, and 59 touchdowns and he's only 27.

Edited by JohnCena