Potential Cap Casualties around the league

barnaby8787

With the 2018 season winding down, cap casualty season is upon us.  Who will get cut and become free agents?  Below is a list of 15 guys who could be cut who could help this team out.  Feel free to leave comments below.

Wide Receiver

Nelson Agholor: The Eagles cap situation for 2019 is simply not good.  As of now, they need to clear about 25 million just to afford their draft class.  They picked up Agholor's 9+ million dollar option last year, however, they may look to cut cords this off-season give their cap situation.  Agholor is a very solid slot who'd be my personal top option if he were to hit the market.  I think Philly looks to move on and address the position in the draft.

Willie Snead: Snead wouldn't be my #1 option by any means, but could be a solid addition to our receiving core.  Carrying a 4 mil cap savings into 2019, Snead is a near lock to be cut by the Ravens after not gelling at all.  He'd be a solid get on a 1-year deal to add depth to the receiving core, however he can't be our only addition.

Kenny Stills: Did Stills have a good relationship with Gase?  Well, we don't know.  But if he did and he gets cut, he should definitely be a target.  Rumors have circulated that both he and Parker could be on the roster bubble.  The Dolphins would save 4.25 mil by moving on.  They could opt to move on next year and save 7 mil.

Mohamed Sanu: Sanu might be a trade candidate, but the Falcons could outright release him as well.  The Falcons are another team that is light on cap space and may not see value in 7.4 mil cap hit with the emergence of Calvin Ridley.  He'd be another solid addition for us.

Tight End

Dwayne Allen: Coming into the league, Dwayne was known as being a great blocking TE who wasn't a great receiver.  Flash forward seven years and it seems like that's exactly who he became.  Despite the rumors of Gronk potentially retiring, I can't see New England holding onto Dwayne with his 7.3 mil cap hit next year.  If cut, he'd be a great guy to pair with Herndon.

Offensive Line

Andrus Peat: The Saints only have 8 mil in cap space heading into next year.  Peat has been very sturdy on that line before having a down year in 2018 and missing a few games with injuries.  He carries a 9+ mil cap hit next year with his 5th year option.  While the Saints may not want to let the 25 year old go, if they decide to, he'd be a great plug-in for us at LG and provide versatility to play tackle in a pinch.

Ryan Schraeder: In two years, Ryan Schraeder went from being one of the most solid RT's in the league to one of the worst.  Carrying a large cap hit into next year, he'll definitely be cut after being benched in the ATL.  He'd be a good get on a one-year deal as a swing deal and competition for Shell to see if he can figure it out.

Defensive End

Robert Quinn: Carrying a near 13 mil cap hit into 2019, Quinn is another near-lock to be cut.  He's coming off a somewhat disappointing year in Miami where he had 6.5 sacks.  Given his connections to both Gregg Williams and Gase, he'll definitely be an option for us if he hits the market.  He shouldn't be our primary target, but not a bad consolation prize either.

Justin Houston: The Chiefs will likely want to do everything they can to bring Dee Ford back.  While they have 27 mil in cap, they also have some other key FA's including Steven Nelson.  Houston has a 21.1 mil cap hit next year and would save 14 mil by cutting him.  Despite being 30, Houston still put up 9 sacks last year.  He's not the force he one was, but is still solid at getting to the QB.

Michael Bennett: Another Eagle, Bennett carries a 7.2 mil cap hit into next year and he's going on 34.  Despite his age, he still had 9 sacks last year.  He'd be a short-term option, nothing more.

Olivier Vernon: The hype behind Vernon was real when he signed a massive contract with the Giants in 2016.  Flash forward three years later and Vernon has been solid, but never quite lived up to his contract.  The Giants have 24 mil in cap space, but could add 11.5 mil more by cutting him.  They may choose to wait until next year where they could save 15.5 mil

Defensive Tackle

Michael Brockers: The Rams aren't necessarily in cap trouble for 2019 with nearly 30 mil, but they have a few big names guys that they may want to bring back including Suh, Joyner, and Saffold.  Brockers saw a reduced role in 2018 after the team added Suh as he only play in two-thirds of the teams snaps.  They'd save 10 mil by moving on.  He's obviously another player connected to Gregg Williams.

Marcell Dareus: The Jags also have a terrible cap situation going into 2019.  They need to clear 10 mil to sign their draft class.  While Malik Jackson's cut is inevitable, Dareus' may be as well.  He carries a 10.58 cap hit in 2019 that will increase even more in 2020.  That's a lot of of dough for a run-stopping tackle.  The question is, would he be dynamic enough for our d-line?  Debatable.

Linebacker

Jamie Collins: Jamie has been a disappointment since arriving in Cleveland, playing at nothing more than an average level.  Carrying a near 12 mil cap hit into 2019, the Browns could save 9+ mil by cutting him.  He could be a fit depending on how our current LB's stack up in the 4-3.

Cornerback

Marcus Peters: Ever since the infamous flag throwing incident, Peters hasn't looked like the same corner.  Since arriving in LA, he's been a major disappointment on the Rams' stacked D.  Carrying a 9 mil cap hit into 2019, he may not be worth the Rams time.  If cut, he'd be worth the risk on a one-year deal.  Gregg Williams should keep him on his best behavior. 

Was hoping someone would put something like this together. The only 2 players on this list I don’t foresee being available at all are Peters and Vernon. Peters had a down year, but I don’t think they’ll give up on him so quickly. They have a lot of upcoming contracts they need to address, but right now they can afford his salary given the potential and investment they made in him. Yes- they did pay a big price for Sammy Watkins and let him walk, but that was because they didn’t want to franchise him. This is different. As for Vernon, he played extremely well coming off injury and that’s not a team who’s going to look to spend big in FA. They can save $11.5 million by moving on, but who’s replacing him? Fact that he wasn’t available for trade tells me the organization still has a high opinion of him, and likely wouldn’t move him unless offered a somewhat high draft pick.

14 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Was hoping someone would put something like this together. The only 2 players on this list I don’t foresee being available at all are Peters and Vernon. Peters had a down year, but I don’t think they’ll give up on him so quickly. They have a lot of upcoming contracts they need to address, but right now they can afford his salary given the potential and investment they made in him. Yes- they did pay a big price for Sammy Watkins and let him walk, but that was because they didn’t want to franchise him. This is different. As for Vernon, he played extremely well coming off injury and that’s not a team who’s going to look to spend big in FA. They can save $11.5 million by moving on, but who’s replacing him? Fact that he wasn’t available for trade tells me the organization still has a high opinion of him, and likely wouldn’t move him unless offered a somewhat high draft pick.

I'd agree that I think Vernon, Peters, and probably Peat are the least likely to get cut.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Ben Goessling considers Vikings DE Everson Griffen a candidate for release this offseason.

Griffen is now 31 and coming off a year where he battled mental health issues and had to leave the team for a period of time. When he was on the field, Griffen notched just 5.5 sacks across 11 games. That came after Griffen had 43.5 takedowns of quarterbacks the previous four seasons. Due a $10.9 million salary in 2019, the Vikings can save $10.7 million against the cap by cutting Griffen. Danielle Hunter is the best edge rusher on the team, and Stephen Weatherly played well in Griffen's absence. Minnesota's cap situation may work against Griffen

Also forgot to mention Kelechi Osemele, who we were bidding on a few years back. Signing him to play LG seems very logical. 

Archived