2019 MLB Draft

devils1854

Just started looking at players for the draft. I really think there might be 3-4 players that could have gone #1 in the past five years. The draft is very bat heavy, especially in the college ranks, and Im not sure if there is a pitcher worthy of going in the top 5.

Adley Reutschman||C||Oregon State

• Some are saying that he is the best prospect since Bryce Harper, and I could possibly see it. He is a switch hitter and is solid from both sides. Probably has 20 home run power in the bigs. Really knows how to use the bat and go both ways. He's also an excellent defender. Probably the second best defensive catcher in the class.

Bobby Witt Jr||SS||Colleyville Heritage TX

• There might be a little prospect fatigue with Witt. He has been at the top of this class and have been talked about for a few years now. He is a good defender and will definitely stick at short even with his body maturing. The speed plays, and he has shown plenty of power for his age. There are some concerns that he didnt hit as well as people hoped last summer, but he did win the MVP of the Under Armour Game. I think too many people are just looking for what he cant do than what he can do, similar to Bryce Turang last year.

Riley Greene||OF||Hagerty FL

• This kid is just impressive. I like to listen to balls coming off bats, and there is a pop that you dont hear from many high school kids, and he has such a simple swing. Very athletic kid. Will probably be in right as a professional. Probably wont be a gold glover out there but he should be good enough. I have the same feelings with this kid as I did when I first saw Kyle Tucker. Some guys just have IT.

Shea Langeliers||C||Baylor

• Easily the best defender in the class. He should be a multiple gold glover at catcher. He is that good. Pop times at 1.7, and is very athletic. He had a down year hitting last season, but he had a great freshman season in 2017. It doesnt look like there are any holes in his swing. Its short and compact, so I expect a huge bounce back year for him in 2019.

Andrew Vaughn||1B||California

• Vaughn might have the best bat in the college ranks. He has absolutely dominated the Pac 12 in his two years there. I dont think I would take him in the top five though. I dont think the power is going to translate as well to the majors, and I just dont love his swing. He's also a little short for first, and even though he is built really well, I dont think he will be able to play anywhere else in the field.

CJ Abrams||SS||Blessed Trinity GA

• Abrams is one of the fasted kids in the draft. Ive seen 75 thrown out. Besides that tool, there really isnt anything that I really like. He has an awful swing, and sometimes just chops at the ball. He doesnt have much size, so I wouldnt expect him to gain any power, and its almost non-existant right now. He's probably a average defender at short, with nothing special for an arm.

Josh Jung||3B||Texas Tech

• Jung is another guy that has great pop off the bat. Very quick hands, and a violent swing. I think he will definitely hit for average, and he has the power to hit 20+ home runs. I also really like him at third. Athletic. Gets to balls well. Soft hands. Arm ins probably just above average, but with the way he gets in position and how well he gets to balls, it should not be a problem.

Rece Hinds||3B||IMG Academy FL

• Scouts say he might have the best raw power in the draft. What I have seen, as a hitter, he is very similar to Nolan Gorman from last year. He has the power, but he has a lot of swing and miss. From the videos Ive seen, he chases a lot of pitches, and his swing gets long. He has good athleticism and I could see some teams trying to play him at short.

Jerrion Ealy||OF||Jackson Prep MS

• Ealy is a 5* RB that has recently decommitted from Ole Miss. The potential to play football could shy some teams from picking him. He is another kid that has plus plus speed. Ealy is built like a RB, so he isnt a slap hitter. He has good power, although raw. I think he has huge potential in baseball, but he also has a long way to go, and he might not ever be able to put things together.

Graeme Stinson||LHP||Duke

• Ive seen a lot of places project Stinson as the first pitcher taken, and all I have to say is no. I wouldnt take him in the first round. He has a really bad body. Like Luiz Gohara bad. He throws across his body and doesnt replicate his delivery. His arm angle changes way too much. He has a very good slider, but no control over it because he cant get his delivery down.

Other guys Ive briefly looked at-Zack Thompson||LHP||Kentucky(might be the first pitcher taken, need to see more), Braden Shewmake||SS||Texas A&M(really hate him. rail thin. swings around balls), Michael Busch||1B||North Carolina(Seems solid so far, small, shouldnt play 1st, quick bat)

First Mock. Just the top 10

1.Baltimore-Adley Rutschman||C||Oregon State

• They take the top player

2.Kansas City-Andrew Vaughn||1B||California

• They are looking for a quick rebuild. First 11 picks last year were college. Vaughn could move quickly.

3.Chicago White Sox-Shea Langeliers||C||Baylor

• White Sox also go college a lot. Take top player

4.Miami-Bobby Witt Jr||SS||Colleyville Heritage TX

• Marlins will just take best player available, and get Witt to drop to them.

5.Detroit-Riley Greene||OF||Hagerty FL

• Detroit is another team I see going BPA. That could be Greene.

6.San Diego-Carter Stewart||RHP||Eastern Florida State JC

• How about another pitcher for San Diego? IF Stewart is healthy, could be first pitcher taken.

7.Cincinnati-Brennan Malone||RHP||IMG Academy

• Malone broke Hunter Greenes record for fastest pitch at the UA game. Cincinnati usually takes the best player no matter their level.

8.Texas-CJ Abrams||SS|Blessed Trinity GA

• Texas has always loved taking high school players, and they scout Georgia hard. Abrams seems like a fit.

9.Atlanta-Kameron Misner||OF||Missouri

• With a new scouting department, who knows where the Braves will head. Might take Misner to save money for second first round pick.

10.San Francisco-Josh Jung||3B||Texas Tech

• BPA here

From what I've seen not too much I disagree with in what you've said so far.  I've read that some see Vaughn as a DH long term, but that might be a little premature.  Greene is the guy I hope falls to the Reds at 7, and given that he's a HS OF who may end up LF only, there is a real shot it happens.  Also a real shot the Reds pass on him as a HS OF who might be LF only though.  The Reds took Winker with a similar profile, but about 40 picks later, albeit Greene is a far better defender coming into the draft than Winker.  I certainly wouldn't hate the Malone pick, and while i'd prefer an arm that could move quick, the college crop this year is terrible.  Not even sure if I see any mid rotation guys in rd 1, let alone potential front line starters in the college ranks.

Jung is a guy i'm high on, except that the Reds already have Eugenio Suarez, Nick Senzel, and Jonathan India.  I think he ends up the first guy drafted to make the bigs (excluding any guys thrown into a bullpen role because of a playoff run, can't predict that much).

As an Orioles fan, I'm hearing a lot about Reutschman being the guy as the top prospect.  Bobby Witt has also been talked about- especially amongst the fans online and from a select few media guys- and his uncle works in the team's front office.  

While the Orioles are most certainly not a top 10 farm, they also aren't the bottom farm that Keith Law thinks they are.  One area of concern for years was at SS and they've done a great job of addressing that over the past year or so- Cadyn Grenier drafted in the 2nd last year, Adam Hall is a sleeper prospect for many and the toolsy Jean Carmona being added from Milwaukee.  Meanwhile, it's believed the Orioles have made an offer in the area of $2 million to Cuban SS Yolmer Sanchez and are in the driver's seat to land him.  Finally, they drafted two solid prospects in the Rule 5 draft in Richie Martin and Drew Jackson.  Given that, and the farm being barren at catcher, it just makes even more sense to target Reustchman.  I still want them to go BPA, though, whoever that ends up being at the end of the process, but from just about every source, it's Reustchman. 

Rutschman isn't as athletic as Posey, but has a chance to be just as good a hitter.   That is setting the bar quite high, but it's within the realm of possibility. He's still a good defensive catcher too, Langeliers is just probably the best defensive catcher to come out in the past 5 years.  I could see someone make a case for Witt at #1, but Rutschman is the pretty clear cut top of the class to me.

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

What are the chances Witt drops to 5?  That's my hopes for now, but pretty much just want the Tigers to get an elite bat so I hope one or two of the pitchers work their way up the board a little.

He'd have to have an underwhelming spring to the point where you'd be nervous about taking him at 5.  I'll be shocked if he isn't top 3, probably at #2.

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

He'd have to have an underwhelming spring to the point where you'd be nervous about taking him at 5.  I'll be shocked if he isn't top 3, probably at #2.

I really think he drops to 4. Reutschman is going #1 unless the incompetence of the Orioles flairs up again.

After that, you have the Royals and the White Sox, and neither one of those teams have taken high schoolers early. Yes, the Royals went with Pratto and Melendez a couple years ago, but they went all college last year. 11 straight picks, and I just see them taking the college guy that can be up early with the rest of their guys. Madrigal-Oregon State, Burger-Missouri State, Collins-Miami, Burdi-Louisville, Fullmer-Vanderbilt, Rodon-NC State. 2013 was the last time they took a high school player.

I think Witt will drop to #4.

• 3 weeks later...

Fangraphs #1 prospect for the 2020 draft, Emerson Hancock(6'4 215) RHP Georgia, has been utterly dominant in two starts. Weak competition but still dominant. 13 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 0 R, 12 K.

Havent really looked at other college guys other than Rutschman. .400/.595/.920, 4 HR, 12 BB, 5 K(8 games).

After Eric watched him go off again this weekend, we’ve upgraded him to a 60 FV and would have him right behind Keibert Ruiz at 16 on the Top 100. He’s creating more distance between himself and the field for the top pick.

Edited by devils1854

Ethan Small for Mississippi State has been stupid good to start the year.  More of a round 2-4 guy, but so far 12 IP, 1.50 ERA, 4 H, 0 BB, 24 K.  Lefty with good control, 90-91 right now, but was 92-95 pre TJ a couple years ago.  Could be real interesting if he can regain some of that velo.

Another 2020 guy, Alex Toral, has 5 HR in his first 25 at bats for Miami so far.