2019 MLB Draft

devils1854

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

koeshe is a beast and busch can hit. 

Once again, the kid from Tulane went 13-54 against NCAA Tournament pitching this year and had no prior success and Busch has a weird downward swing and no position.

Both were big reaches imo.

57 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

It's not always about power bro a guy hitting for a .300+ avg and .350+ obp every year with 7 to 15 home runs is still a quality player and a good piece to a team.   Plus after looking at his body he's got alot of room to add weight and power to it.  I don't think it will ever be much power just based off his swing but 7 to 15 is very doable for him over a season i would think.   Rather he has a weird swing or not he makes great contact on the ball with it and always puts it in play which is more than alot of players can say it feels like these days.    Now don't think this is me blowing him up as some beast or savior as im not i just think he is a solid player at the next level with what he has shown so far.

Have you seen any tape of him at all? Have you seen his slinder body? His swing? His legs/torso?

We took AJ Graffinino in the 8tj round last year and I’d say he was a comparable prospect to Mr Mustache

i hate the fact that I’m goijg to have to cover him in the system for the next five years, and try to justify why I think he was an awful pick over and over to people.

Edited by devils1854

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don't even know what the hell you're trying to get at here? It's common knowledge that we routinely blow our 1st round picks. Getting 1 or 2 right in a decade is lolworthy. 

Why would you look back to the past decade when Stearns has been around for 4 picks now. Ray, I agree..  sucks. But Hiura is a stud, and Turang has a .414 OBP as a 19 year old. You're as pessimistic as they come. That's what I'm trying to get at

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

In modern pitching days, yeah. We won 97 games with 1 good starter and a dominant bullpen last year.

Considering we took another reliever with our next pick...at least this one projects to be a high leverage reliever with 1 electric pitch.

It is what it is. I hope I'm wrong. Just feels a **** ton to me like the Corey Ray pick.

Edited by beekay414

38 minutes ago, Klone1 said:

Why would you look back to the past decade when Stearns has been around for 4 picks now. Ray, I agree..  sucks. But Hiura is a stud, and Turang has a .414 OBP as a 19 year old. You're as pessimistic as they come. That's what I'm trying to get at

Pessimism is far better than blind optimism. 

Hiura was a no brainer. Any moron could've selected him and he was going to hit. 

Turang? Dude has a higher career OBP (.406) than slugging percentage (.384). In 90+ games (354 at bats), he has a whopping 21 xbh including only 2 HRs. Call me when he does anything other than slap hit. They made a change to his swing to where it's more of a level plane so there's really no lift on it. He's going to have to add significant strength to ever be even a decent (15+ HR) power threat. 

Edited by beekay414

Just now, CWood21 said:

Not to rain on your parade, but I feel like the Hiura pick wasn't viewed very highly.

Might wanna go back and look again. He was always viewed as the best collegiate bat in his class. The only reason anyone was hesitant was because of the UCL issue.

38 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Have you seen any tape of him at all? Have you seen his slinder body? His swing? His legs/torso?

We took AJ Graffinino in the 8tj round last year and I’d say he was a comparable prospect to Mr Mustache

i hate the fact that I’m goijg to have to cover him in the system for the next five years, and try to justify why I think he was an awful pick over and over to people.

Do you think i would be replying to you and saying anything if i haven't seen any of him at all considering how well you know me on this site and the amount of time i put into drafts and these types of sites :D   You do realize people had him as a top 32 player in the draft for a reason and others see good things about him where you don't my friend.  We all have players we don't like and see different things in players that makes us like or dislike them compared to the next person.  This year in football for me it was Rashaan Gary i didn't like him as a prospect at all in the 1st round and tons of other people liked him alot. 

Where as you see a slender person with a slap hitting style i see a guy who is 6'4 that in a legit mlb program can put on some solid weight and strength to that body.  Where you see a slap hitter i see a very even swing that flows very nicely, quick and on a even trajectory through the strike zone without alot of dipping in it.  Which is a very good swing for a contact hitter for avg with a little power.  One thing i will fully agree on though is he has a bit of unorthodox swing in general but if it works then it works their are tons of players that made weird stances and swings work.   Sheffield, Donaldson, Youk, etc...   so i don't judge tons of people on that until i see them struggle with it and so far in college he hasn't at all he actually excelled at it for the most part.

14 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Do you think i would be replying to you and saying anything if i haven't seen any of him at all considering how well you know me on this site and the amount of time i put into drafts and these types of sites :D   You do realize people had him as a top 32 player in the draft for a reason and others see good things about him where you don't my friend.  We all have players we don't like and see different things in players that makes us like or dislike them compared to the next person.  This year in football for me it was Rashaan Gary i didn't like him as a prospect at all in the 1st round and tons of other people liked him alot. 

Where as you see a slender person with a slap hitting style i see a guy who is 6'4 that in a legit mlb program can put on some solid weight and strength to that body.  Where you see a slap hitter i see a very even swing that flows very nicely, quick and on a even trajectory through the strike zone without alot of dipping in it.  Which is a very good swing for a contact hitter for avg with a little power.  One thing i will fully agree on though is he has a bit of unorthodox swing in general but if it works then it works their are tons of players that made weird stances and swings work.   Sheffield, Donaldson, Youk, etc...   so i don't judge tons of people on that until i see them struggle with it and so far in college he hasn't at all he actually excelled at it for the most part.

So watch that swing and tell me where and power is coming from without a huge overhaul. You see how his elbows almost stay together throughout the whole swing? There is hardly no load at all. The plane of the bat is either level or coming down. This guy isnt Ichiro. He cant pepper balls everywhere and use his speed to get hits. Also, where will power come from? He has a huge stride already and a swing like his is not conducive to hit hard fly balls. One because of the swing plane and secondly because he throws the bat at the ball. Another thing I hate is his small load. See when he does his load, he slightly goes up and then back? That extra movement is going to hurt him against pitchers that throw a lot harder than guys in college baseball.

Now lets talk about putting on weight. He's already a guy that wont play short at the next level, and some say he can put on weight for hitting. Look how small his shoulders are. He is not broad at all. Now look at his thighs, hips, and butt, They are all small. Not because he just hasnt hit the weight room, but he just doesnt have the area to add anything without potentially harming his skill. He doesnt have the quickest of hips in his swing, and adding more weight can do nothing but harm him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

So watch that swing and tell me where and power is coming from without a huge overhaul. You see how his elbows almost stay together throughout the whole swing? There is hardly no load at all. The plane of the bat is either level or coming down. This guy isnt Ichiro. He cant pepper balls everywhere and use his speed to get hits. Also, where will power come from? He has a huge stride already and a swing like his is not conducive to hit hard fly balls. One because of the swing plane and secondly because he throws the bat at the ball. Another thing I hate is his small load. See when he does his load, he slightly goes up and then back? That extra movement is going to hurt him against pitchers that throw a lot harder than guys in college baseball.

Now lets talk about putting on weight. He's already a guy that wont play short at the next level, and some say he can put on weight for hitting. Look how small his shoulders are. He is not broad at all. Now look at his thighs, hips, and butt, They are all small. Not because he just hasnt hit the weight room, but he just doesnt have the area to add anything without potentially harming his skill. He doesnt have the quickest of hips in his swing, and adding more weight can do nothing but harm him.

See, this is my problem with Brice Turang's swing. They addressed it a little bit this year with giving him more of a load pre-swing but he's still on top of the ball far too often and he's too damn small to overcome that issue with any type of natural power. Turang's swing is fluid, albeit a little mechanical and, for lack of a better word for a left handed swing...ugly, but I hate swings that don't induce any type of lift on the ball. All of his XBH have been gappers, so there's literally no power to his game at all. I mean, if they just want him to be a leadoff, get on base type of hitter, I get it but I'd expect more out of my #1 pick than a guy with a sub .100 ISO and a SLG% lower than his OBP.

Edited by beekay414