2019 MLB Draft

devils1854

6 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Once again, the kid from Tulane went 13-54 against NCAA Tournament pitching this year and had no prior success and Busch has a weird downward swing and no position.

Both were big reaches imo.

so that means he is automatically going to suck now? lol yeah ok.  

i've seen him play plenty of times. he is going to be a good one.

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Considering we took another reliever with our next pick...at least this one projects to be a high leverage reliever with 1 electric pitch.

It is what it is. I hope I'm wrong. Just feels a **** ton to me like the Corey Ray pick.

If you can't get at least a little excited about drafting a 6'6" lefty who touches 100, you're still tilted from the Small pick. 

5 hours ago, N4L said:

How good is hunter bishop? 

Plus power, above average to plus speed, above average arm, might be able to stick in CF but will be a quality defender in RF if he doesn't.  Hit tool is the big question.  He hit .356 with 22 home runs this year, but Arizona State plays in a hitter friendly ball bark and he had a .400+ BABIP.  The big red flag is that he K'd 56 times in 51 games with 42 walks.  The track record of guys who K more than they walk amongst college hitters isn't the best.  If he hits enough and it all comes together, could be a middle of the order hitter playing CF.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

i really like what the rays did

Drafted the best pitcher this year from the legendary Fighting Camels located in Buies Creek, NC. Whomever drafts OF Matthew Barefoot, CU Camels will have the 2nd best draft. 

11 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

now why the **** would we pick him?

Keith Law disagrees with @ramssuperbowl99 assessment. Had him as best pitcher in the draft with 4 pitches with 2 swing and miss. Says it was his favorite pick of draft. (had him 9th overall prospect)

Can't say I've watched him, but to answer your question, the Jays obviously agree with Law on this.

34 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Keith Law disagrees with @ramssuperbowl99 assessment. Had him as best pitcher in the draft with 4 pitches with 2 swing and miss. Says it was his favorite pick of draft. (had him 9th overall prospect)

Can't say I've watched him, but to answer your question, the Jays obviously agree with Law on this.

Lance Lynn is also 6th in the MLB among pitchers in WAR this year. Even if that's who he is, you can do worse outside the top 10 picks.

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Pessimism is far better than blind optimism. 

Hiura was a no brainer. Any moron could've selected him and he was going to hit. 

Turang? Dude has a higher career OBP (.406) than slugging percentage (.384). In 90+ games (354 at bats), he has a whopping 21 xbh including only 2 HRs. Call me when he does anything other than slap hit. They made a change to his swing to where it's more of a level plane so there's really no lift on it. He's going to have to add significant strength to ever be even a decent (15+ HR) power threat. 

Francisco Lindor's slugging percentages in the minors. 18 years old, .355. 19 years old, 2 HR in 403 AB for a .407 slugging. 20 years old, .389. 21 years old, .402. 

20 minutes ago, Klone1 said:

Francisco Lindor's slugging percentages in the minors. 18 years old, .355. 19 years old, 2 HR in 403 AB for a .407 slugging. 20 years old, .389. 21 years old, .402. 

Watch his swing instead of blind quoting numbers. Nothing about Turang's swing indicates any type of future power. There's no lift on the ball off his bat whatsoever. 

24 minutes ago, Klone1 said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The eye test has some value. Lindor's swing is super clean and compact and he does a great job of keeping his hands inside the ball/hitting the inner half of the baseball.

• Like 1

Right. Because I'm sure Lindor has made 0 adjustments to his swing from his 19 year old, 2 HR season to his 33 HR season 4 years later. 

Both their hit tools when drafted were 55 hit and 40 power. But let me guess, you guys saw his power surge coming from a mile away. 

I'm not saying in any way that Turang is going to turn into a 30+ HR guy, but to act like these guys can't make adjustments is foolish. Getting back to the only reason Turang was brought up... Stearns sucking at drafting 1st rounders. Even a .375 OBP with a .400 Slg is fine in my book from a later 1st round pick. The Brewers lead the majors in HR practically every year anyways. What's wrong with a guy that just knows how to get on base

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Klone1 said:

Right. Because I'm sure Lindor has made 0 adjustments to his swing from his 19 year old, 2 HR season to his 33 HR season 4 years later. 

Both their hit tools when drafted were 55 hit and 40 power. But let me guess, you guys saw his power surge coming from a mile away. 

I'm not saying in any way that Turang is going to turn into a 30+ HR guy, but to act like these guys can't make adjustments is foolish. Getting back to the only reason Turang was brought up... Stearns sucking at drafting 1st rounders. Even a .375 OBP with a .400 Slg is fine in my book from a later 1st round pick. The Brewers lead the majors in HR practically every year anyways. What's wrong with a guy that just knows how to get on base

And that's why I said to talk to me when he makes those adjustments. So far, he's a "go the other way" slap hitter. I rarely see him get inside the baseball and that's vs A ball pitchers. You can play the "they can make adjustments" game with legitimately any prospect. Let's wait and see if he does. 

9 minutes ago, Klone1 said:

It's almost like hormones play a role.

You make it seem like Lindor is a HR crown guy. He's a 30/30 type more than a masher. He may hit 40 once in a while, but that's not his game as a whole. He's a high average, doubles, and consistent pop guy who can and will launch some dingers.

I'm not saying in any way that Turang is going to turn into a 30+ HR guy,

And yet you compared him to Lindor. Come up with a better comp then.

but to act like these guys can't make adjustments is foolish.

No one said it was foolish. It's just not the norm usually. I bet most see a guy who will max out in the 20 something HR range, if not less.