2019 MLB Draft

devils1854

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's almost like hormones play a role.

You make it seem like Lindor is a HR crown guy. He's a 30/30 type more than a masher. He may hit 40 once in a while, but that's not his game as a whole. He's a high average, doubles, and consistent pop guy who can and will launch some dingers.

And yet you compared him to Lindor. Come up with a better comp then.

No one said it was foolish. It's just not the norm usually. I bet most see a guy who will max out in the 20 something HR range, if not less.

Turang must be maxed out in his hormone count then huh. Playing that card for 1 but not the other

You need to read this whole conversation. I'm not composting Turang to Lindor. I'm simply using Lindor as an example as to why you shouldn't rip on a draft pick just because of his lack of power as a 19 year old kid who has a .400+ obp. 

This started with me responding to BKs post that it's almost like the Brewers try to f*** up their 1st round picks. I listed Turang as a guy that's doing well with a lot of promise. I never said he's going to be a power guy. I'm simply trying to say that just cause he's a .320/.400./400 guy right now, that doesn't mean he always will only be a .400 Slg type of guy. 

17 minutes ago, Klone1 said:

Turang must be maxed out in his hormone count then huh. Playing that card for 1 but not the other

You need to read this whole conversation. I'm not composting Turang to Lindor. I'm simply using Lindor as an example as to why you shouldn't rip on a draft pick just because of his lack of power as a 19 year old kid who has a .400+ obp. 

This started with me responding to BKs post that it's almost like the Brewers try to f*** up their 1st round picks. I listed Turang as a guy that's doing well with a lot of promise. I never said he's going to be a power guy. I'm simply trying to say that just cause he's a .320/.400./400 guy right now, that doesn't mean he always will only be a .400 Slg type of guy. 

I like Turang and he was a good pick, but you shouldn't be projecting additional power. He tried to add loft to his swing as a senior and it took him from the 1st pick in the draft to the back of the first round because teams figured out he couldn't make any contact.

If he makes a similar adjustment again, his OBP goes down as a result. I'm totally fine with the high OBP, good defense SS as a cornerstone, but there's not any more power coming.

1 hour ago, Klone1 said:

Right. Because I'm sure Lindor has made 0 adjustments to his swing from his 19 year old, 2 HR season to his 33 HR season 4 years later. 

Both their hit tools when drafted were 55 hit and 40 power. But let me guess, you guys saw his power surge coming from a mile away. 

I'm not saying in any way that Turang is going to turn into a 30+ HR guy, but to act like these guys can't make adjustments is foolish. Getting back to the only reason Turang was brought up... Stearns sucking at drafting 1st rounders. Even a .375 OBP with a .400 Slg is fine in my book from a later 1st round pick. The Brewers lead the majors in HR practically every year anyways. What's wrong with a guy that just knows how to get on base

I saw Lindor play in Low A whenever he came through Dayton.  I definitely saw at least average power coming.  He had the bat speed then and hit the ball hard.

20 minutes ago, CAS22 said:

I like what the Astros have done.  They needed to strengthen the up the middle talent in the system and all four of their picks have been directed that way.

I specifically like Jordan Brewer.

do you think we can get that high schooler signed?

10 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

How are the Mets going to afford Baty and Allen?  It's not like Wolf will be an underslot guy either.

Trying to get Baty to come in under but I don't think it'll play. Don't think Allan signs. So naturally we went low cost for the next 8 picks after in a desperate bid but yeah, pretty sure they gambled on value and will lose.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Three Wright State Raiders taken on day 2. Nice. Don't think that's happened since when I was in school and even then, it may have only been Joe Smith that went day 2.

Campbell had 3 guys taken over 1st 2 days. They usually go years without anyone getting drafted.

Tigers just got a steal with John McMillon in the 11th round.

He might not know where it goes all the time but he sat at 98 and touched 100 mph last weekend in our regional. Has also started before. Can't believe he was still available, hopefully for my sake they lowball him and he returns for his senior year...

Some of the big programs have a real good shot at getting multiple of the highly rated HS arms in this draft to campus this fall:

Vanderbilt: Matt Allan, Jack Leiter, Spencer Jones
Florida: Hunter Barco, Josh Rivera, Tyler Ownes
Miami: Alexander McFarlane, Dylan Eskew
Louisville: Michael Prosecky, Avery Short

Vandy's rotation next year could be Mason Hickman, Kumar Rocker, and Jack Leiter with Matt Allan starting in the mid week games and Spencer Jones joining an already loaded bullpen before starting in 2021.  Even if the Mets somehow find a way to pay Baty and Allan, i'm sure Vandy has some highly ranked arm from last year that i'm overlooking.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Some of the big programs have a real good shot at getting multiple of the highly rated HS arms in this draft to campus this fall:

Vanderbilt: Matt Allan, Jack Leiter, Spencer Jones
Florida: Hunter Barco, Josh Rivera, Tyler Ownes
Miami: Alexander McFarlane, Dylan Eskew
Louisville: Michael Prosecky, Avery Short

Vandy's rotation next year could be Mason Hickman, Kumar Rocker, and Jack Leiter with Matt Allan starting in the mid week games and Spencer Jones joining an already loaded bullpen before starting in 2021.  Even if the Mets somehow find a way to pay Baty and Allan, i'm sure Vandy has some highly ranked arm from last year that i'm overlooking.

McFarlane is gonna say F Miami and sign with the Cardinals for like 200K. Duh.