2019 MLB Draft

devils1854

9 hours ago, BrownieTheElf said:

Devils, you got a way too early top 10 for 2020?

1. Emerson Hancock||RHP||Georgia
  2. Cole Wilcox||RHP||Georgia
  3. Spencer Torkleson||1B/OF||Arizona State(might be #1 or #2 if he can play the OF)
  4. Pete Crow-Armstrong||OF||Harvard Westlake, CA
  5. Jared Jones||RHP||La Miranda, CA
  6. Mick Abel||RHP||Jesuit, OR
  7. Hugh Fisher||LHP||Vanderbilt
  8. Dylan Crews||OF||Lake Mary, FL
  9. Liam Norris||LHP||Green Hope, NC
  10. JT Ginn||RHP||Mississippi State
  11. Patrick Bailey||C||North Carolina State
  12. CJ Van Eyk||RHP||Florida State
  13. Corey Collins||C||North Gwinnett, GA
  14. Austin Martin||2B||Vanderbilt
  15. Freddy Zamora||SS||Miami

Asa Lacey||LHP||Texas A&M, Reid Detmers||LHP||Louisville, Garrett Mitchell||OF||UCLA, Garrett Crochet||LHP||Tennessee, Heston Kjerstad||OF||Arkansas

Austin Hendrik||OF||West Alleghney, PA, Yohandy Morales||3B||Braddock, FL, Drew Romo||C||The Woodlands, TX, Petey Halpin||OF||St Francis, CA, Zac Veen||OF||Spruce Creek, FL

SEC baseball is about to become as dominant as SEC football when it comes to the draft. They have been stockpiling talent year after year. Getting top prep players to forgo the draft and go to school, and its going to start showing. There should be 4 players drafted in the first round this year and another 3-4 go in the second, but next year it will be much more.

Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Georgia, and Arkansas are in line to be top 8 seeds in the NCAA Tournament this year, and most of the talent is young. Vandy could have 5 or more guys go in the first 100 picks, Mississippi State-3, Georgia-4, Arkansas-2, and thats not counting big time programs that are having down years. LSU and Florida have tons of guys that have underperformed that could go high. Even teams like Tennessee and Auburn can have players go first day. Vandy is going to have the 2021 #1 pick as well in Kumar Rocker.

The 3 guys that were/would have been 1st round picks in 2018 that decided to go to college.

SEC STATS ONLY

Kumar Rocker, Vanderbilt
51 IP, 3.88 ERA, 52 K, 13 BB, 50 H

Cole Wilcox, Georgia
29 IP, 2.17 ERA, 34 K, 16 BB, 19 H

JT Ginn, Mississippi State
44 IP, 3.88 ERA, 55 K, 11 BB, 46 H

Edited by devils1854

I see A lot of Mock drafts have the Cardinals going with Elon pitcher George Kirby....Can I get A quick scouting report on him? 

Also a few guys I like, what’s your opinion on Daniel Espino and Brennan Malone? 

And do you see any of Corbin Carroll, Hunter Bishop or Riley Greene falling in the draft? (To Cards pick). 

Cardinals have been more aggressive with their draft picks ever since Randy Flores took over those duties, interested to see if they go for one of these tough sign guys. 

11 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I see A lot of Mock drafts have the Cardinals going with Elon pitcher George Kirby....Can I get A quick scouting report on him? 

Also a few guys I like, what’s your opinion on Daniel Espino and Brennan Malone? 

And do you see any of Corbin Carroll, Hunter Bishop or Riley Greene falling in the draft? (To Cards pick). 

Cardinals have been more aggressive with their draft picks ever since Randy Flores took over those duties, interested to see if they go for one of these tough sign guys. 

Malone has potentially the biggest arm in the draft.  He's touched upper 90's, but his breaking ball isn't consistently plus and his changeup is a work in progress.  Great frame and delivery though.  Haven't read or seen too much about Espino.

I think Caroll falls some.  He's small, doesn't project for much power, and his arm is fringy.  Great bat control though and one of the fastest guys in the draft.  If a team thinks the plate discipline is there and the arm is enough for center, then he could be a prototypical leadoff hitter.  That's the upside.  If he doesn't walk much, gets relegated to left field, and hits for no power, that's a third division regular if he even makes the bigs being the downside.

Bishop I can't see falling out of the top 12, and I don't even think Greene makes it to the Reds at 7, let alone wherever the Cards are picking.  Best prep bat in the draft.  Not the best contact or the best power, but the best combination of the two.  Even as a LF which is what he probably is, he's worth it.  Jesse Winker with more power.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Malone has potentially the biggest arm in the draft.  He's touched upper 90's, but his breaking ball isn't consistently plus and his changeup is a work in progress.  Great frame and delivery though.  Haven't read or seen too much about Espino.

I think Caroll falls some.  He's small, doesn't project for much power, and his arm is fringy.  Great bat control though and one of the fastest guys in the draft.  If a team thinks the plate discipline is there and the arm is enough for center, then he could be a prototypical leadoff hitter.  That's the upside.  If he doesn't walk much, gets relegated to left field, and hits for no power, that's a third division regular if he even makes the bigs being the downside.

Bishop I can't see falling out of the top 12, and I don't even think Greene makes it to the Reds at 7, let alone wherever the Cards are picking.  Best prep bat in the draft.  Not the best contact or the best power, but the best combination of the two.  Even as a LF which is what he probably is, he's worth it.  Jesse Winker with more power.

Espino was a projected top 10 pick after he dominated the showcases last summer. Big fastball that has reached 100.  Supposedly he's thrown 2 different secondaries (I believe curve and a slider, but can't remember).  Mechanics are iffy.  Maxed out body.  Last I saw was that he had regressed a bit this Spring.  

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 7:46 AM, BrownieTheElf said:

First PA bonfire last night, sir. Yuengling and Voodoo Beer’s were all around haha.

You're confusing Rams for me! lol my dad actually facetimed me drinking Yuengling around a camp fire this weekend.

• Like 1

Jim Callis from MLB Pipeline with a new mock out:
https://www.mlb.com/news/adley-rutschman-remains-favorite-to-go-no-1-in-mock-draft?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Follow the link and he has little blurbs after each pick about reasoning or other guys he's heard about that team in on as well.

1. Orioles: Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State
  2. Royals: Bobby Witt, SS, Colleyville (Texas) Heritage HS
  3. White Sox: CJ Abrams, SS, Blessed Trinity Catholic HS (Roswell, Ga.)
  4. Marlins: JJ Bleday, OF, Vanderbilt
  5. Tigers: Andrew Vaughn, 1B, California
  6. Padres: Riley Greene, OF, Hagerty HS (Oviedo, Fla.)
  7. Reds: Nick Lodolo, LHP, Texas Christian
  8. Rangers: Hunter Bishop, OF, Arizona State
  9. Braves: Jackson Rutledge, RHP, San Jacinto (Texas) JC
  10. Giants: Alek Manoah, RHP, West Virginia
  11. Blue Jays: Bryson Stott, SS, UNLV
  12. Mets: Zack Thompson, LHP, Kentucky
  13. Twins: Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor
  14. Phillies: Gunnar Henderson, SS, Morgan Academy (Selma, Ala.)
  15. Angels: Matthew Allan, RHP, Seminole HS (Sanford, Fla.)
  16. Diamondbacks: George Kirby, RHP, Elon
  17. Nationals: Josh Jung, 3B, Texas Tech
  18. Pirates: Quinn Priester, RHP, Cary-Grove HS (Cary, Ill.)
  19. Cardinals: Corbin Carroll, OF, Lakeside HS (Seattle)
  20. Mariners: Brett Baty, 3B, Lake Travis HS (Austin, Texas)
  21. Braves: Logan Davidson, SS, Clemson
  22. Rays: Keoni Cavaco, 3B, Eastlake HS (Chula Vista, Calif.)
  23. Rockies: Kameron Misner, OF, Missouri
  24. Indians: Will Wilson, SS, North Carolina State
  25. Dodgers: Brennan Malone, RHP, IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)
  26. Diamondbacks: Maurice Hampton, OF, Memphis (Tenn.) University HS
  27. Cubs: Michael Busch, 1B/OF, North Carolina
  28. Brewers: Seth Johnson, RHP, Campbell
  29. Athletics: Greg Jones, SS, UNC Wilmington
  30. Yankees: Kody Hoese, 3B, Tulane
  31. Dodgers: Brooks Lee, SS, San Luis Obispo (Calif.) HS
  32. Astros: Daniel Espino, RHP, Georgia Premier Academy (Statesboro, Ga.)
  33. Diamondbacks: JJ Goss, RHP, Cypress (Texas) Ranch HS
  34. Diamondbacks: Kyren Paris, SS, Freedom HS (Oakley, Calif.)

For the Reds I get a Lodolo pick, but I would prefer Stott, Bishop, Allan, or maybe even Gunnar Henderson there.

I didn't realize that the old Alma Mater, Campbell had 2 guys who could day 1 picks in Seth Johnson and less likely Matthew Barefoot. Regretting that I didn't get over to there to watch a game this year. It's more typical that they don't have anyone drafted.

Callis is literally clueless when it comes to the Braves. There is less than a 10% chance that Rutledge is the pick at #9 and maybe a #2 chance Davidson is selected at #21.

if the draft played out like that, Manoah, Langeliers, and Allan would be the selection. Would slightly give Allan a lead depending on his bonus demands, and don’t discount Gunnar Henderson in a undershot deal.

Malone and Espino would be the likely selection at 21 unless they decided to go with the bat of Wilson or Busch. Davidson and Misner to a little lesser degree aren’t the type of player this organization drafts.

10 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Heard from two different sources the Cardinals love Maurice Hampton. @devils1854 I see You had him ranked 14th in your latest rankings. 

Seems like he has the tools and teams believe once he’s 100% about baseball his upside is tremendous. Got any comparisons for me that you can think of? 

Most analysts seem to think his number is around 2 million and that goes down all the way to pick 36, so if he is selected in the first round, then he will definitely be signing as long as he isnt low balled.

He's a top 100ish recruit in football at defensive back so he is built like a brick, unlike most baseball prospects. He is a guy that once he sticks to baseball, he can learn how to be a great defender and how to have a more polished swing.

Right now-plus raw power, plus speed, above average arm, average game power, average defense(corner OF), below average hit tool

Focusing on pro baseball ceiling-plus raw power, plus speed, above average arm, above average game power, above average defense(CF), average hit tool.

A good comp would be current prospect Monte Harrison of the Marlins. Tons of tools. If he figures them out, a big time prospect, if not, he is nothing, but the potential is through the roof.

Edited by devils1854
  • Like 1