In the last decade, how much has scouting changed?

JaguarCrazy2832

Seems like it wasn't too long ago that if you were a tall QB with a big arm you were a lock to be a 1st round pick, no matter what the tape showed

The opposite could be said for undersized QBs

Undersized RBs were devalued because it was assumed they'd crumble but now some of the smallest guys have big impacts because they can do it all.

What changes have you seen over the years?

Runningbacks as a whole have been devalued as a whole. Rbs are going to 10 let alone first unless they are complete players.

Tes have become so coveted in offensive schemes but honestly devalued coming out. I mean teams want complete tes and even they can be found in round 2 on. I mean I remember the 09' draft a guy like Richard Quinn was taken second round and there were other teams besides Denver high on him. Flash forward to last  draft and a complete te like goedert goes second round. 

If a guy like Richard Quinn came out today he'd be a 6th, 7th, udfa. And if a guy like Goedert came out in 2009 he'd go top half of the first round.

A guy like George Kittle goes in round 5 a couple years ago. And he was more complete of a te. I do feel like teams are starting to revert back to valuing tes in the draft.  I would not be surprised if Fant and Hockensen go round one. Even though I'd love denver to get one round 2.

14 hours ago, KellChippy said:

It seems like scouts/gms have a lot more confidence in selecting players from lesser divisions early in the draft.  

It seems like if you're a good player you're going to get a shot regardless of where you went to school. That probably wasn't the case all that long ago. 

10 years isn't long enough really. I don't think much has changed other than the stigma of being a short QB, as others have stated.

And I think the RB's are overrated thing is overblown. There was just a dry spell of elite talent at the RB position for a few years and people thought their value was dropping. Had Elliot/Barkley/Gurley been prospects in those years, they would have gone early R1 then too.

A lot has changed in terms of HOW the scouting process is completed on a daily basis - from the technology side of the coin

Going back a decade to 2009, that means 2007 technology was in play - and that was the first year that any iphone was released. Think about that for a moment
Analytics was in its infancy in terms of deployment and usage. Scouting still requires campus visits - but even setting up a visit has changed over the last decade
Watching film has gotten "easier" and more efficient

The tools have advanced immensely - but what the scouts are looking for hasn't changed nearly as much.

In general I would say the focus is less on fitting a prototypical mold and more on looking at a guy for what they do really well and figuring out ways to use them creatively.

More focus on players than schemes. Versatility is at an all time high for demand.

Speed in general has become more important. Particularly on defense as teams stress being able to swarm to ball, be versatile, and work in different match-ups.

Huge size is less important at probably every position.

I think it is harderfor some positions becasue the college players are not really taught the skills they will need in the NFL.  I point to Deion Sanders at the combine in 2017 watching the DB drills and saying that none of the prospects knew their craft and would have to be taught it.  He pointed to college coaches being under such pressure to win that they teach the players the bar minimum to run their system.

You see this at skilled positions.  WR and CB mostly.  Dlinemen would be the easiest as most of them are shoot this gap or the other ( ignoring if they need to be taught 2-gap).

I think we’ve seen a change in interior DL whereby a number of years ago guys like Terrance Cody were generating a buzz, being talked up and his huge size was swooned over we’re now seeing guys who are smaller, more nimble penetrating tackles being more main stream. Donald has done a lot for the smaller DT by showing that great technique, leverage and skills can easily overcome huge size and strength. Lots of teams seem to be looking for the quicker, penetrating linemen and they’re seen as less of a detriment to the run defence as schemes use their talents.

Certainly we’ve seen the demise of the huge, thumper ILB too over the last 20 years and coverage and sideline to sideline range has become evermore important. Will we ever see a Matt Millen or Levon Kirkland type fulltime player again?

Archived