Packers/Bears "likely" in NFL's 2019 season opener?

Beast

https://lombardiave.com/2019/02/03/packers-bears-2019-thursday-kickoff-game-report/

I'm not sure whether to believe this or not, as it's usually always the Super Bowl team hosting someone, but they're saying it's likely for the NFL's 100th year anniversary they put that on pause and open with the Packers and Bears instead. But it sounds like it would be a cool opener, and that game was just voted as moment of the year this year...

Also maybe they're considered giving it to the Patriots (again) or Rams with the Saint stuff hanging over and want a different headline? And two of the oldest teams playing each other in a division rival match to start the year.

Does that mean we don't have to play any other Thursday games? I'd be down for that.

+ less wait time after preseason

+ get a thursday game without the short week

+ catch a div opponent without any film on us

+ embarrass the Bears while everyone is watching (again)

+ maybe they goof up the paint and cancel the game

+? get soldier field before it has time to get completely cratered

-? we have to be the canary in soldier field's mineshaft

- early season funk comes on the road against a division rival

- nothing to looks forward to on opening sunday

1 hour ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Does that mean we don't have to play any other Thursday games? I'd be down for that.

No, it doesn't mean that... and I saw where some fans were talking about the Packers haven't played on Thanksgiving since 2015... when before it was every 2 years Packers played on Thanksgiving... and the last two years the NFL has put a rookie coach against the Blue/Sliver (Lions or Cowboys) and it just so happens the Packers have road games against both the Lions and Cowboys.... so a Thanksgiving game (or another Thursdays game) is certainly possible as well, even if this happens).

Edit: Since 2001, the Packers have usually played in the Thanksgiving game in odd years, 2005 and 2017 were the only odd years that they haven't done it this century. In other words the Packers have played in Thanksgiving 7 of the 9 (77.78%) odd years this century... so historic schedule wise, there seems to be a strong change the Packers will get a Thanksgiving game. Of course, historic schedule wise, there is a strong chance the Super Bowl Champions will be hosting the season opener too. 

- nothing to looks forward to on opening sunday

If the Packers win, then we already have a lead on everyone opening Sunday, and that don't matter! ... of course... if they lose... the opposite would be true. 

Archived