OT: NFL & NFLPA CBA negotiations ongoing, hope for 17 game season & short preseason?

malagabears

I am glad they are hopefully getting a headstart on it. Many contentious issues to resolve. Changed thread title to reflect recent developments.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25915264/nfl-labor-talks-start-6-months

For all the talk of more strife between owners and NFL players' union on the horizon, there is a core group on both sides who have an optimistic view that negotiations to extend the current collective bargaining agreement could get jump-started within the next six months, according to league and union sources.

For players, sources say the goal is to preserve or increase their share of revenues while getting more concessions from owners on former player benefits. The salary cap is projected in 2020 to reach $200 million per team in addition to player benefits.

The NFLPA this week detailed some preparations in case of an eventual work stoppage in 2021, but sources concede that the next six months could set the tone for a more peaceful labor process to extend the deal well before the deadline.

Edited by malagabears
  • Like 2

Hola' mi amigo Jim en Malaga.  Como esta'?  Es muy bueno y agradable aqui', no?

At $200 mil for 2020 the salary will have appreciated 67% in the 10 years since 2011.

By anyone's standards that's a healthy growth in both revenues and player salary base.

It's good to hear they're getting a jump on negotiations 'cause this goose is crapping golden eggs neither side should want to see interrupted.

7 hours ago, soulman said:

Hola' mi amigo Jim en Malaga.  Como esta'?  Es muy bueno y agradable aqui', no?

At $200 mil for 2020 the salary will have appreciated 67% in the 10 years since 2011.

By anyone's standards that's a healthy growth in both revenues and player salary base.

It's good to hear they're getting a jump on negotiations 'cause this goose is crapping golden eggs neither side should want to see interrupted.

Howdi Mr. Paul, all good here in Spain. I agree there is probably more to lose than gain. I wonder if the NFLPA is going to strong arm more guarantees on long term contracts and offset language. Hopefully they find a flexible framework and meet in the middle. The TV contracts are growing at an exploding pace and there is more than enough money to go around.

• Like 2

Theres not really any contentious issues.  The players dont care about the rookie scale (which was their idea in the first place), they dont care about commish disciplinary powers.  It's all about the money.  They arent going to get much more of a share as the owners locked them out at 50% maybe the owners will concede another % point, which is a $500M concession.  My suspicion is that the major concession will be post career benefits.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2019 at 1:36 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

Theres not really any contentious issues.  The players dont care about the rookie scale (which was their idea in the first place), they dont care about commish disciplinary powers.  It's all about the money.  They arent going to get much more of a share as the owners locked them out at 50% maybe the owners will concede another % point, which is a $500M concession.  My suspicion is that the major concession will be post career benefits.

They do care about the rookie scale though, because what they thought they were gonna get, smaller contracts for guys in their first which would lead to bigger 2nd contracts, they're starting to see teams think, "we have these rookies on cheap contracts, we can pay more to the top 10% of players." the rookie scale is has had a huge impact on the contracts of the "middle class" of players. 

The other big things to discuss in these negotiations are: post-career benefits and how quickly guys can qualify for them, allowing the use of marijuana by the players - leading to less pain meds being used and no more suspensions/loss of money due to them, the franchise tag (guys still don't like them), and profit sharing - because even though profits are going up, the 32 owners are making the same percentage while the players still split between all of them, so the owners are proportionally making a lot more money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

They do care about the rookie scale though, because what they thought they were gonna get, smaller contracts for guys in their first which would lead to bigger 2nd contracts, they're starting to see teams think, "we have these rookies on cheap contracts, we can pay more to the top 10% of players." the rookie scale is has had a huge impact on the contracts of the "middle class" of players. 

The other big things to discuss in these negotiations are: post-career benefits and how quickly guys can qualify for them, allowing the use of marijuana by the players - leading to less pain meds being used and no more suspensions/loss of money due to them, the franchise tag (guys still don't like them), and profit sharing - because even though profits are going up, the 32 owners are making the same percentage while the players still split between all of them, so the owners are proportionally making a lot more money.

Again, the secondary issues always have been and always will be bargaining chips for the primary issue, which is revenue sharing.  The owners gave the players 55% for 2 years, then quickly locked the players out claiming they couldnt afford that %. The players negotiated back to 48% in order to get any deal done.  Maybe they will get up to 50% but they arent getting much above that.  The owners simply wont allow it.  The players only make money if they play.  The owners are still making money during a lockout/strike.  That's why the players have to say things like these secondary issues matter bc without them they have 0 bargaining power.  There wont be any change in commish powers, rookie scale, or suspension/fine procedures you can pretty much book that.  (The fine/money goes towards charity, so it's a tax break for guys getting taxed 46% of their income, it's not a huge loss for players most of the time.  Financially its probably a net 0). Marijuana is still illegal for all uses federally.  The NFL has an anti-trust exemption, I wouldnt look for there to be any change in that policy either.  I think we will see some minor changes to the tags, but they will still be there.  And probably some changes to retiree benefits, retroactive.  That's the CBA negotiation in a nutshell

• Like 4

True.  I don't expect much give from the owners on the sharing percentage.  The cap is growing at a healthy rate each year and the price tag for nearly all player contracts has sky rocketed upward.  Ten years ago All Pro LBs like Urlacher and Briggs were making what a decent starting SS or a NCB  makes now.  QB price tags are off the charts and we're paying Kahlil Mack $90 mil plus over the first 4 years of his deal guaranteed.  Players are getting paid well.

If they can bump the revenue share up 1%-2% it will add another $10-$12 mil to the cap by 2021 at a minimum in addition to annual increases in the 5%-6% range.  That's another $10-$12 mil currently so by 2021 we're looking at a cap of as much as $225 mil and rising and we'll need it.

They'll get some concessions on post retirement benefits and haggle over issues like Goodell's "tribunal powers" and other non-monetary issues but as long as they can be bought off with money little else will change.  Because of a lengthy period of labor peace business is good in the NFL these days and both sides should quickly come to a conclusion that it's also good business to keep it that way.  The goose is laying golden eggs so don't kill the goose.

• Like 1

Little update on the issues players are looking at when CBA talks begin.

The current CBA expires after the 2020 season, and rumblings about a potential work stoppage are getting louder. 

NFLPA president Eric Winston told reporters during Super Bowl week they have emphasized to players how essential it is to have "financial literacy" in the event of a strike or lockout. 

"I think every player will believe us when we tell them they're going to be locked out," Winston said.

It's unclear what both sides will be hoping to get out of the next CBA. Writing for CBS Sports, former NFL agent Joel Corry suggested five changes, including a better revenue split, overhauling the rookie wage scale and making language uniform for guaranteed money in contracts. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, malagabears said:

Bumping due to new positive development.

I'm loving that both sides have become more progressively reasonable about this stuff. Not a big fan of Goodell, but I think he's gotta have a hand in all that...

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I would be surprised if a deal got done early.  Not that it wouldn't make sense, but perception in labor contracts is everything and you don't want perception that you didn't fight.  

The franchise tag is enough to make it happen early.

Here's a little more on what's happening and player objectives.

NFL Rumors: CBA Talks to 'Intensify'; 3-4 Negotiation Sessions in July Possible

Mike Chiari

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2843891-nfl-rumors-cba-talks-to-intensify-3-4-negotiation-sessions-in-july-possible?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

July 2, 2019

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell speaks during a memorial service for former Alabama and Green Bay Packer quarterback, Bart Starr, Sunday, June 9, 2019, in Homewood, Ala. Starr died a week ago at age 85. He had been in failing health since suffering two strokes and a heart attack five years ago. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)
Butch Dill/Associated Press

Negotiations for a new NFL collective bargaining agreement are reportedly set to "intensify" in July.

According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, three negotiating sessions have already taken place between the owners and players since April. In July alone, three or four more of those discussions could reportedly take place with the goal of having a new deal in place before the start of the 2019 regular season.

The current NFL CBA is set to expire after the 2020 season.

When the current CBA was finalized in 2011, it ended a 132-day lockout. Per Graziano, things are a bit more optimistic this time around since the owners opted out of the previous CBA ahead of time, which suggested a lockout was likely.

A repeat of that has not happened, but it doesn't mean a lockout won't occur. In April, Malcolm Jenkins, the NFLPA rep for the Philadelphia Eagles, told ESPN's Tim McManus that negotiations could be even tougher than they were prior to the 2011 lockout:

"That's yet to be seen. But I've got a feeling it won't be as simple as it was last time just because you have more players like myself who have been through the lockout before, saw how the NFLPA leadership handled that into where we are now, which I don't think was a bad deal but there is a lot that I feel like we want to get back as players, or get as players."

Perhaps the biggest area of contention during negotiations will be the revenue split. The current CBA has given the players anywhere from 47-48.5 percent of the revenue during its existence, which was a drop from 50 percent in the prior CBA.

Conversations are also likely to be held regarding guaranteed contracts, the rookie pay scale and potential limitations on the franchise tag.

There has long been talk about the NFL taking away two preseason games and adding two regular-season games as well, which could come up during talks.

Ultimately, the two sides will attempt to avoid a work stoppage that costs the league regular-season games, which last happened in 1987.