OT: NFL & NFLPA CBA negotiations ongoing, hope for 17 game season & short preseason?

malagabears

3 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Pretty sure if you ever get a router you'll just disappear from this forum for a few months!  (great way to make round shapes btw, although for a Shield you can just lay up some carbon fiber or fiberglass on an old DishTV antenna as a mold)

I have a router for my wifi.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Many 21 year olds do just fine.  I have a friend who was drafted in 4th round and cut.  He got like 450k.   He is now a millionaire thanks to that start because he is wicked smart with money.    

Those that come from a particular culture, with particular values and ideas are the ones who struggle.

Some of things that hurt them are admirable like @soulman said.  Trying to help family and friends.  They just don't get that there are better long term ways to do so.  They spend like NFL pay checks will always there and they listen to wrong people.  

Same here.  Son of one of my closest friends was an UDFA who managed to hang on through a few camps and a couple of years on a PS.  Didn't make much money but lived cheap.  Bought some land and became a home builder.  Now he's a multi-millionaire with a very successful company.

With those who are draft picks if they simply found a way to set aside 100k of whatever bonus money and first year salary they receive in a tax deferred retirement account invested in something simple like a stock index fund at age 62 they'd have over $4 mil is that one account alone.

My point has always been that it's fine to take some bites of the apple.  Even eat the whole apple if you like.  But save the apple seeds, plant them and grow an apple tree of your own.  Then for cripes sake don't chop down the tree just because you want all of the apples at one time.

36 minutes ago, soulman said:

Same here.  Son of one of my closest friends was an UDFA who managed to hang on through a few camps and a couple of years on a PS.  Didn't make much money but lived cheap.  Bought some land and became a home builder.  Now he's a multi-millionaire with a very successful company.

With those who are draft picks if they simply found a way to set aside 100k of whatever bonus money and first year salary they receive in a tax deferred retirement account invested in something simple like a stock index fund at age 62 they'd have over $4 mil is that one account alone.

My point has always been that it's fine to take some bites of the apple.  Even eat the whole apple if you like.  But save the apple seeds, plant them and grow an apple tree of your own.  Then for cripes sake don't chop down the tree just because you want all of the apples at one time.

LOL getting to a Roth or Annuity or whatever would be gravy.  You are trying to save these idiots from going broke by 35.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

LOL getting to a Roth or Annuity or whatever would be gravy.  You are trying to save these idiots from going broke by 35.

Even a journey of a 1000 miles still requires that one first step.

But yeah, they listen to the wrong people and because many are thoroughly uneducated about what to do with large lump sums of cash and high monthly cash flow they end up as targets for con men and schemers.

The NFL tries to help.  Former players try to help.  Ethical agents try to help and I more than once have tried to help but as the saying goes a fool and his money are soon parted.

Just don't ask me about my divorce when I was the one who played the fool.  :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Yeah but the 3 of us are in our 30s and 40s+ have gone thru the trials and tribulation of life, have probably made some money, gone broke, and made some money again.  The 21 yo who invests wisely is an absolute rarity.  Can it be done? Of course it could, these guys who make minimum salaries, should be able to be set for life after retirement.  But let's be honest, at 21 how smart would you have been with $500k?  I worked for a financial services company at that time, and yeah I probably would have put a lil back, but more than likely I would have blown most of it. And I was a financially educated 21 yo.  What hope does a 21 yo who likely majored in kinesiology or physical education have?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Man I really want to learn how to build things with wood.  Pretty sure I would eventually cut my fingers off though.  I had 3 different teachers growing up that had lost several fingers somehow LOL.  I never asked how.   Two shop type teachers and a physics teacher.

Do you have your fingers? 

I'm still going to do it when I actually have time and some more money to spend. 

I have a little Dremel tool that I use to cut things when I need to.  This summer I started making PVC bows and homemade arrows for kids and their friends.  Great fun and materials are cheap.

I make arrows out of dowels, duct tape (fletching) and nerf bullets.   The nerf bullets over tip of dowel explode on impact with anything because they are too aerodynamic for toy use.  The bows are much more powerful than a toy bow and with nerf tip they are too aerodynamic like a real arrow.   Meaning they fly too far and too hard and are dangerous nearby people and houses.  I shot the first one to test it and nearly broke a window across the street.   Oops.  

So I wrap nerf tips with a bunch of duct tape to slow them down, preserve the nerf tip and make sure they can't break anything or hurt anyone beyond a small bruise.  Rule is you can't shoot them at people or in direction of any windows.  

I'd  really like to make some wooden rounded shields.  Spartan or Captain America style.  But I don't have equipment for it. 

I do have all my fingers but a nice assortment of scars to make up for it. Last year a guy tripped over my air hose while I was framing a wall and I put a nail through my hand. Luckily avoided the bones but went in my hand in front of my ring finger and exited halfway down my pinky's metacarpal. Worst that has happened to me in 2-3 years.

That sounds awesome, I really want to see one. I have some squirrels in the yard that need to learn a lesson. lol

One of the guys I trained under is a survivalist, we are supposed to meet up next month to make a legit bow and arrow at his place. Flint arrowheads and everything. He said we should be able to make a fully functioning one with arrows in 4-5 hours but it won't be pretty.

Some of my friends from college were super into DND. I have drawn a number of their characters when they make it to 12th level (doesn't happen often  lol) but they have invited me to a LARP carnival/fair thing. They make all their own equipment, clearly amateur work but the amount of time some of the weapons and armor is impressive. Taking leather scales, using whatever to put a texture on it, and spraying a metallic paint to make it look like metal, and using different fake silks and fake furs for costumes to make them look like nobles (and save money and effort on their armors). Pretty cool stuff, you can see some seriously creative ideas from them. And lets face it, seeing a 330 lb guy portray Link is just golden.

40 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I do have all my fingers but a nice assortment of scars to make up for it. Last year a guy tripped over my air hose while I was framing a wall and I put a nail through my hand. Luckily avoided the bones but went in my hand in front of my ring finger and exited halfway down my pinky's metacarpal. Worst that has happened to me in 2-3 years.

That sounds awesome, I really want to see one. I have some squirrels in the yard that need to learn a lesson. lol

One of the guys I trained under is a survivalist, we are supposed to meet up next month to make a legit bow and arrow at his place. Flint arrowheads and everything. He said we should be able to make a fully functioning one with arrows in 4-5 hours but it won't be pretty.

Some of my friends from college were super into DND. I have drawn a number of their characters when they make it to 12th level (doesn't happen often  lol) but they have invited me to a LARP carnival/fair thing. They make all their own equipment, clearly amateur work but the amount of time some of the weapons and armor is impressive. Taking leather scales, using whatever to put a texture on it, and spraying a metallic paint to make it look like metal, and using different fake silks and fake furs for costumes to make them look like nobles (and save money and effort on their armors). Pretty cool stuff, you can see some seriously creative ideas from them. And lets face it, seeing a 330 lb guy portray Link is just golden.

So funny you say that.  My kids literaly started playing d&d this week and are super into fantasy books.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

It takes like 5 minutes to make a basic one that works good.

Ones I make I estimate like a 20 - 25 lb.. draw so they aren't super strong, but you can make them real strong if you want.  Kids can't pull them otherwise. 

I just got a heat gun now so I make some cooler ones now with some trial and error.  

The arrows are a pain.  They take like 15 minutes to make and kids constantly break and lose them. 

But they are super cheap. 

33 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

If you get into flintknapping, make sure you do it outside or get some good dust protection. The silicosis you can get from that stuff is really nasty, even compared to job sites.  It's super fun though, even if your first attempts are probably going to look like... slightly smaller versions of the same rock

I've never heard of that.  

• 2 months later...