Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
malagabears

OT: NFL & NFLPA could start CBA negotiations in 6 months

Recommended Posts

I am glad they are hopefully getting a headstart on it. Many contentious issues to resolve.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25915264/nfl-labor-talks-start-6-months

For all the talk of more strife between owners and NFL players' union on the horizon, there is a core group on both sides who have an optimistic view that negotiations to extend the current collective bargaining agreement could get jump-started within the next six months, according to league and union sources.

For players, sources say the goal is to preserve or increase their share of revenues while getting more concessions from owners on former player benefits. The salary cap is projected in 2020 to reach $200 million per team in addition to player benefits.

The NFLPA this week detailed some preparations in case of an eventual work stoppage in 2021, but sources concede that the next six months could set the tone for a more peaceful labor process to extend the deal well before the deadline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hola' mi amigo Jim en Malaga.  Como esta'?  Es muy bueno y agradable aqui', no?

At $200 mil for 2020 the salary will have appreciated 67% in the 10 years since 2011.

By anyone's standards that's a healthy growth in both revenues and player salary base.

It's good to hear they're getting a jump on negotiations 'cause this goose is crapping golden eggs neither side should want to see interrupted.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, soulman said:

Hola' mi amigo Jim en Malaga.  Como esta'?  Es muy bueno y agradable aqui', no?

At $200 mil for 2020 the salary will have appreciated 67% in the 10 years since 2011.

By anyone's standards that's a healthy growth in both revenues and player salary base.

It's good to hear they're getting a jump on negotiations 'cause this goose is crapping golden eggs neither side should want to see interrupted.

 

Howdi Mr. Paul, all good here in Spain. I agree there is probably more to lose than gain. I wonder if the NFLPA is going to strong arm more guarantees on long term contracts and offset language. Hopefully they find a flexible framework and meet in the middle. The TV contracts are growing at an exploding pace and there is more than enough money to go around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres not really any contentious issues.  The players dont care about the rookie scale (which was their idea in the first place), they dont care about commish disciplinary powers.  It's all about the money.  They arent going to get much more of a share as the owners locked them out at 50% maybe the owners will concede another % point, which is a $500M concession.  My suspicion is that the major concession will be post career benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 1:36 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

Theres not really any contentious issues.  The players dont care about the rookie scale (which was their idea in the first place), they dont care about commish disciplinary powers.  It's all about the money.  They arent going to get much more of a share as the owners locked them out at 50% maybe the owners will concede another % point, which is a $500M concession.  My suspicion is that the major concession will be post career benefits.

They do care about the rookie scale though, because what they thought they were gonna get, smaller contracts for guys in their first which would lead to bigger 2nd contracts, they're starting to see teams think, "we have these rookies on cheap contracts, we can pay more to the top 10% of players." the rookie scale is has had a huge impact on the contracts of the "middle class" of players. 

The other big things to discuss in these negotiations are: post-career benefits and how quickly guys can qualify for them, allowing the use of marijuana by the players - leading to less pain meds being used and no more suspensions/loss of money due to them, the franchise tag (guys still don't like them), and profit sharing - because even though profits are going up, the 32 owners are making the same percentage while the players still split between all of them, so the owners are proportionally making a lot more money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

They do care about the rookie scale though, because what they thought they were gonna get, smaller contracts for guys in their first which would lead to bigger 2nd contracts, they're starting to see teams think, "we have these rookies on cheap contracts, we can pay more to the top 10% of players." the rookie scale is has had a huge impact on the contracts of the "middle class" of players. 

The other big things to discuss in these negotiations are: post-career benefits and how quickly guys can qualify for them, allowing the use of marijuana by the players - leading to less pain meds being used and no more suspensions/loss of money due to them, the franchise tag (guys still don't like them), and profit sharing - because even though profits are going up, the 32 owners are making the same percentage while the players still split between all of them, so the owners are proportionally making a lot more money.

Again, the secondary issues always have been and always will be bargaining chips for the primary issue, which is revenue sharing.  The owners gave the players 55% for 2 years, then quickly locked the players out claiming they couldnt afford that %. The players negotiated back to 48% in order to get any deal done.  Maybe they will get up to 50% but they arent getting much above that.  The owners simply wont allow it.  The players only make money if they play.  The owners are still making money during a lockout/strike.  That's why the players have to say things like these secondary issues matter bc without them they have 0 bargaining power.  There wont be any change in commish powers, rookie scale, or suspension/fine procedures you can pretty much book that.  (The fine/money goes towards charity, so it's a tax break for guys getting taxed 46% of their income, it's not a huge loss for players most of the time.  Financially its probably a net 0). Marijuana is still illegal for all uses federally.  The NFL has an anti-trust exemption, I wouldnt look for there to be any change in that policy either.  I think we will see some minor changes to the tags, but they will still be there.  And probably some changes to retiree benefits, retroactive.  That's the CBA negotiation in a nutshell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True.  I don't expect much give from the owners on the sharing percentage.  The cap is growing at a healthy rate each year and the price tag for nearly all player contracts has sky rocketed upward.  Ten years ago All Pro LBs like Urlacher and Briggs were making what a decent starting SS or a NCB  makes now.  QB price tags are off the charts and we're paying Kahlil Mack $90 mil plus over the first 4 years of his deal guaranteed.  Players are getting paid well.

If they can bump the revenue share up 1%-2% it will add another $10-$12 mil to the cap by 2021 at a minimum in addition to annual increases in the 5%-6% range.  That's another $10-$12 mil currently so by 2021 we're looking at a cap of as much as $225 mil and rising and we'll need it.

They'll get some concessions on post retirement benefits and haggle over issues like Goodell's "tribunal powers" and other non-monetary issues but as long as they can be bought off with money little else will change.  Because of a lengthy period of labor peace business is good in the NFL these days and both sides should quickly come to a conclusion that it's also good business to keep it that way.  The goose is laying golden eggs so don't kill the goose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little update on the issues players are looking at when CBA talks begin.

The current CBA expires after the 2020 season, and rumblings about a potential work stoppage are getting louder. 

NFLPA president Eric Winston told reporters during Super Bowl week they have emphasized to players how essential it is to have "financial literacy" in the event of a strike or lockout. 

"I think every player will believe us when we tell them they're going to be locked out," Winston said.

It's unclear what both sides will be hoping to get out of the next CBA. Writing for CBS Sports, former NFL agent Joel Corry suggested five changes, including a better revenue split, overhauling the rookie wage scale and making language uniform for guaranteed money in contracts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×