Has Julian Edelman punched his ticket?

x0x

Can Edelman now make Hall of Fame?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. For playoff performance

• Yes
    • No

17 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Hines Ward has 2 SBs, a SB MVP, and had a much better INDIVIDUAL career than Edelman despite playing with lesser QBs in running offenses most of his career, and he doesnt have a chance of getting in....and neither does Edelman.  

I think that's the main point here.  You can argue whether he deserves it or not all day.  But the fact is that this last decade is pumping out WR's faster than we've ever seen.

Ward, Fitzgerald, Bruce, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Torry Holt, Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Antonio Brown, Chad Johnson, Julio Jones, Santana Moss, DeSean Jackson, Donald Driver, Wes Welker, Marques Colston, Demaryius Thomas, AJ Green, Jordy Nelson, TY Hilton, Crabtree, DeAndre Hopkins, Emmanuel Sanders, Beckham, etc.

All guys who career numbers are already better than Edelman's, and either won't be caught or will continue to add to those numbers.  And probably not even half of them are getting in.

Edelman's postseason numbers are impressive.  But that high will wear off in the five years he has to wait to be eligible.  That's exactly why that 5 year wait is there - to let the emotions cool.  

There's a long wait at WR, and it's going to get longer.  There will be lots of guys sitting there in 2030 that merit consideration, but only the best of the best are getting in.

5 hours ago, x0x said:

Life isn't fair. Rings give you a massive bump. Henry Ellard hasn't even gotten on a finalist ballot and yet Swann got in. That's as insane a disparity as it gets.

I don't see a 4-time Super Bowl champion who has a playoff career record for something and SB MVP being kept out forever. 

That's my scenario because I see at least 2 more seasons of Brady-Edelman contending. 

The standards have changed. When Swann retired, he probably wasn't far off from all time totals at the position. Even he went to multiple Pro Bowls, and was a first team All Pro. Julian has none of those things.

I mean...is Willie McGinest getting in too? 3 Pro Bowls, three rings, all time postseason sack record. He would have a better case than Edelman. Probably never getting in.

35 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I mean...is Willie McGinest getting in too? 3 Pro Bowls, three rings, all time postseason sack record. He would have a better case than Edelman. Probably never getting in.

It'd be interesting to see how many all-time postseason leaders the Patriots have because of their incredible run.

On 2/6/2019 at 12:26 PM, evilflamingo said:

Sorry dude, wrong Steeler :) Agree about the broken logic of it and that was mostly the point I wanted to make by showing that Edelman could match a top receivers career playoff numbers within 1/3 to 1/2 of the time. 

And the fact that while most people shrink under pressure, Patriots in general and Edelman in particular seems to thrive on it and I think that's impressive. 

The regular season is by and large much more fair than postseason games where teams are often playing against expected advantages/disadvantages. Most of those games for the Patriots are home games for example.

There's also the matter of very low sample size.

In fact, outside of the last 2 seasons, Edelman's playoff production was nothing spectacular.

Post season numbers/accomplishments are nice, but as of now the stats just aren't there.  If he's able to hang around another 3-5 years, then he may have a shot;  I'd say he needs at least another 4000 yards and 25 TDs.  It's doable.  and remember, he hardly played his first 4 years in the league, so he doesn't have the same wear and tear that most 32 year old WRs have.  If he stays healthy and productive, I don't see why not, but right now, no way...

On the active roster at one time in the nfl there are more than 1600 guys. Only 5 make the hof per year Reasonably I think it could go up to 10.  Think a lot guys are deserving of the hof. 

Or perhaps every 4-5 years they should ha e a bumper year where 10-15 make it to catch up. 

That way the guys who deserve to get in 1st go really do get there prestigious entry as they truly are the most deserving while on the catch up years it is for guys who were great but not the truly exceptional players of their position. 

A tip for people looking to ascertain whether or not someone will ever get into the HOF: Try to imagine a Hall of Fame induction class where the player in question is one of five guys selected out of a pool of thousands of eligible players to go into the Professional Football Hall of Fame.

Remember, it's not about the player being put on the ballot. It's not about him being a semifinalist and making a list of 25. It's not about him being one of 15 finalists.

The player has to beat out everybody else to the final 15, and then be chosen among those final 15 as one of the 5 best on the list for getting into the Hall of Fame.

Now...Julian Edelman? Hahahahaha. 

Just imagine Julian Edelman on a list of this year's HOF finalists, for example. Imagine actually thinking he were one of the 5 guys deserving of HOF induction on this list:

Tony Gonzalez

Champ Bailey

Ty Law

Steve Atwater

Julian Edelman

Ed Reed

Isaac Bruce

Alan Faneca

Kevin Mawae

Richard Seymour

Tony Boselli

John Lynch

Steve Hutchinson

Edgerrin James

Don Coryell

Tom Flores

Which one of these is not like the others? 

Even the people who were talking about Anquan Boldin being a potential HOFer a year ago were utterly delusional. There is just no way Boldin is ever going to be one of the 5 guys the voters gravitate to to put in the HOF. He just wasn't a historic great.

As for Swann and Stallworth: They were a legendary tandem for a legendary dynasty. And Swann had historically great highlight catches. Even then, it took a certain Steelers dynasty bias for them to get in. The perception was that those teams were loaded with talent and dominant as a result of that.

The perception for the Patriots - and a completely accurate one - is that Belichick and Brady carry a bunch of journeymen. It's that the Patriots never had great receivers, excluding the brief Randy Moss years, and that this is one of the biggest things to point to for Brady's greatness. 

How has this thread got to 12 pages?

I'm the biggest Edelman fan in the world. He has made legendary plays that will go down in league history. He's clutch as hell and thrives under pressure. He'll stroll into the Patriots Hall of Fame and eat for free in Boston for the rest of his life.

But he will never, not ever, come within a mile of sniffing the Hall of Fame, and nor does he deserve too.

On 2/6/2019 at 3:34 PM, theJ said:

It'd be interesting to see how many all-time postseason leaders the Patriots have because of their incredible run.

Less straight up leaders than you might think, because of some exceptional players elsewhere (Rice leads all things receiving, Lewis has tackles, Lott and Reed have INTs, etc.) but they have a presence in the top 5 or 10 of basically everything. Brady owns passing. Edelman and Gronk are top 10 in receiving. McCourty is second in tackles with Bruschi not far behind. McGinnest has sacks. Gostkowski and Vinatieri are both top 3 in kicking. Samuel, Harrison, and Law are all top 10 in picks. Rushing is kind of the one gap, but Blount is 6th in rushing TDs, at least. No rusher has really lasted more than 2 or 3 years with the Pats.

On 2/3/2019 at 10:38 PM, Forge said:

Is he a playoff hall of famer? Sure I have no problem with giving him a title like that. Is he an NFL hall of famer that should be enshrined in Canton? No, not in my opinion. 

This 100%, he isn't a HOFer at all. There are so many better WRs that will never get in. His numbers are pedestrian for his career. He's not even the best NE slot WR to play with Brady and no one is talking about him going to the HOF despite having much better #s

15 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Joe Flacco has the most road playoff wins ever, one of the most dominant runs for a QB in the playoffs ever, (in 2012) a Super Bowl win and MVP,  and he has a career 25-10 TD-INT ratio in the playoffs.

Is he a HOFer?

With another ring you bet he is.

I'm going to be seriously entertained if Edelman gets 1 more ring and has both playoff receptions and Super Bowl receptions. In 5 appearances. 

12 minutes ago, x0x said:
15 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Joe Flacco has the most road playoff wins ever, one of the most dominant runs for a QB in the playoffs ever, (in 2012) a Super Bowl win and MVP,  and he has a career 25-10 TD-INT ratio in the playoffs.

Is he a HOFer?

With another ring you bet he is.

You have extremely low standards if you think that's all it would take for Flacco to be a HoFer.

Archived