Has Julian Edelman punched his ticket?

x0x

Can Edelman now make Hall of Fame?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. For playoff performance

• Yes
    • No

On 2/11/2019 at 10:30 PM, Thaiphoon said:

I'm curious. Out of footbull's list that you didn't bold Gary Clark. Any particular reason why? For reference this is who you bolded:

He's unfortunately been backlogged too far. Henry Ellard should be ahead of him and although Clark was good for several seasons he's going to suffer from the elevation of receiving stats. And he "only" won 2 Super Bowls, which for whatever reason don't carry as much weight as 3, historically I mean. Monk had to wait forever with a longer career and a 3rd ring.

On 2/14/2019 at 11:26 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

No, and no at the theory of guys who play well in playoffs deserving to be HOF'rs, Robert Horry is as accomplished a playoff performer there is (albeit a different sport), he played a critical part of having 7 rings but wont see the HOF because he was an average player for the majority of his career, pretty much the same with Edelman, average to above average receiver who will never be mistaken for a elite receiver who was the beneficiary of Tom Brady's passes in the playoffs.

Funny thing about Horry is he might get in at some point because those 7 rings on 3 teams is not only going to stand out by themselves but revisionists are going to pile on the props. One thing that gets lost in the shuffle is that in the 95 Finals he was 2nd in MVP votes for the series to Hakeem. His overall career stats took a bit of a beating in his later years but he was the first player to get 100 blocks and 100 steals in a season and I think could be the only guy who ever did. He retired with the most 3 pointers in the NBA Finals and you can clearly see the only guys who are going to beat him are playing in the heavy 3 point era so unless everyone forgets, he will stand out.

18 hours ago, x0x said:

He's unfortunately been backlogged too far. Henry Ellard should be ahead of him and although Clark was good for several seasons he's going to suffer from the elevation of receiving stats. And he "only" won 2 Super Bowls, which for whatever reason don't carry as much weight as 3, historically I mean. Monk had to wait forever with a longer career and a 3rd ring.

lnteresting. While I think Ellard should go ( I think he was the best route runner I've ever seen), I'm not sure I'd put him in front of Clark. He has receiving yards but that is a factor of playing 13 years vs 10 years. Both have same # of TDs. Clark has 4 Pro Bowls vs. Ellard's 3. And Clark has 2 rings vs Ellard's zero. And Clark showed up big in the playoffs whereas Ellard didn't (except one year). And Clark played across from a HOFer for most of his career. Matter of fact, pull up Michael Irvin's stats. They are comparable to Clark (other than 3 rings vs 2). 

On 2/26/2019 at 8:26 PM, Bobikus said:

Feel like the first question someone has to ask their self here is "Do I think Hines Ward is a first ballot lock?"

As a Steeler fan no I don't think Hines Ward is a first-ballot hall-of-famer but I do think he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Hines Ward wasn't just a huge impact to his team he was one of the most physical wide receivers in the NFL possibly ever. The dude was a game changer and no he wasn't Julio Jones and Antonio Brown or Jerry Rice but you knew he was on the field.

I'm not saying that Julian Edelman can't be a game-changer but I don't personally view him as a dynamic receiver and I don't feel like his stat set him apart from anybody. He's not particularly a physical wide receiver but he is a reliable one. When he retired I feel like people are going to remember him as wide receiver Tom Brady succeeded with and not a reason that Tom Brady succeeded.

Having said all of that I do understand why people argue against Hines Ward being in the Hall of Fame.

Archived