1. 1. For playoff performance

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Julian Edelman is currently:

248th all time in career receiving yards

148th all time in career receptions

not even in the top 250 all time in career receiving TD's

And yet people wanna say this dude is a Hall of Famer?!? 

EDIT:

Look up Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.

Troy Aikman for QBs has no shot at Canton without 3 Super Bowls maybe not even with 2.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Statistically, he'd still be under a guy like Boldin with just more opportunity in the playoffs. He'd also still be under a guy like Hines Ward. 

but his postseason heroics does make up grounds.  it can't be ignored.   i think he has a chance IF he accumulates respectable bulk stats.  after all it's the NFL, not MLB. 

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Swann was 

3x top 10 in receiving yards in a season

2x top 10 in receptions

3x top 10 in TD's (1 first and 1 second in the league)

The game in the 1970's is vastly different in terms of bulk numbers.    Not saying that Swann should be in, but he was a top 10ish WR in his era

Edelman

3 times Top 10 receptions (twice Top 5)

2nd in playoff receptions

Just now, Wolverine_Joe said:

but his postseason heroics does make up grounds.  it can't be ignored.   i think he has a chance IF he accumulates respectable bulk stats.  after all it's the NFL, not MLB. 

On an efficiency basis, he'd still have similar numbers to Q in the playoffs, and Ward similarly has a super bowl mvp - you're basically giving him credit for playing on the pats and being in the super bowl every year. And that is fine, but that shouldn't be that much in my opinion. 

Assume that he plays 5 more years, puts up 100 catches, 1000 yards in each season with 5 touchdowns . He still has only 55 touchdowns (60 w/special teams TDs) - that's waaaaaaaaaaaay down there. Ward had 85 and Q had 82. Q would still have 3000 more yards than him, about 100 more receptions, and assuming that Edelman plays 80 games over that 5 years stretch, they'd be pretty similar in overall games played (195 for Edelman, 202 for Boldin, 217 for Ward, which admittedly, is a big jump). Ward would have a handful more receptions, about 2000 more yards. Ward and Q also have 4 and 3 pro bowls, while Edelman has yet to crack a single one. If those guys get in, I think that would open the door for Edelman at that point, as you're talking pretty comparable stuff overall, and some of the other stuff is really subjective in how much weight you want to give them,  but that's way down the line. Right now, there's no way Edelman can be considered a hall of famer. Isaac Bruce can't even get in and he was also a stud in the post season, has amazing stats, etc. 

Edelman should get a bit of a bump for his return work, but I'm going to cancel that out against Ward and Boldin by virtue of their blocking acumen, which really was a boon for their teams at the time as well. 

Maybe he can get in as like...a "Lady in Waiting" for the GOAT.  Brady has earned multiple tickets to Canton at this point.  Let him bring a small entourage of asterisk adorned servants like Edelman along for the ride or something.

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I think the question is more worthwhile than folks give it credit for. TD made the HoF for his postseason play.

But Edelman's regular season numbers are just too pedestrian. He'd need to play until he's 40 and get 10,000 yards and far more than 30 TDs.

I do think there's at least a soft case to be made.  To me, it's always been the Hall of Fame...not the "Hall of Bulk Stats".  Edelman has had some real "fame" moments and accomplishments worth recognizing.  But man, that'd be taking that premise to an extreme considering his relative lack of production and "top honors" accomplishments overall.

Terrell Davis is the closest name that comes to mind for me as well, but many already argued that was stretching the weight of playoff moments a bit far.  Plus, like others have pointed out, he had an absolutely brilliant "peak" in addition to the playoff moments.  A legitimate Pro Bowl type peak.  Which Edelman just hasn't had.

9 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I do think there's at least a soft case to be made.  To me, it's always been the Hall of Fame...not the "Hall of Bulk Stats".  Edelman has had some real "fame" moments and accomplishments worth recognizing.  But man, that'd be taking that premise to an extreme considering his relative lack of production and "top honors" accomplishments overall.

The thing is, so does John Taylor. He made one of the most famous catches in super bowl history. He once had a game where he caught two 90 yard touchdowns and had nearly 300 yards receiving. The yardage stats are similar thus far (5400 for Edelman, 5600 for Taylor), Taylor has him crushed in y/r while Edelman has 150 more catches. Games are similar (121 to 115). Taylor even has more touchdowns. He also has 3 super bowl rings. Taylor has 2 pro bowls over Edelman's 0. Edelman had a slightly longer career as a punt returner than Taylor had, but Taylor was a pretty good one for a couple of years so even that is pretty close, though slight edge to Edelman for sure. 

I mean, that's basically what we are talking about right now with the main difference being that Edelman secured a super bowl mvp. Yes, Edelman has better playoff numbers overall (30 yards more per game, way more receptions, but we are talking about a slightly different era as well). If Taylor had slightly better playoff numbers than what he has, are we really asking why he's not a hall of famer? 

2 hours ago, x0x said:

Wes Welker made several all-pros but went 0-3 in Super Bowls. Edelman now with 3 rings, SB MVP and 2nd all-time playoff receptions. 

If Lynn Swann and John Stallworth get in on largely 4 rings with playoff numbers surely in the Cap Era Edelman can now at least make a case.

So long as he waits as-long or longer than Isaac Bruce has had to thus far.  The argument for Edelman over Welker is clear-cut as it gets (he's running all the routes Welker did, but 10 yards deeper), but I don't feel like Welker ever had a strong case for the HOF.

Whether or not he makes canton is irrelevant at this point... Edleman has several iconic moments in SuperBowl history. The catch right above the turf against Atlanta for starters. 

Gotta give it up to San Mateo and Woodside CA!

1 hour ago, x0x said:

Look up Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.

Troy Aikman for QBs has no shot at Canton without 3 Super Bowls maybe not even with 2.

Swann and Stallworth played in different eras. They were close to the top in major statistical categories when they retired I think. They were multiple Pro Bowlers, and Stallworth was a first team all pro. Personally I think Swann shouldn't be in, and is simply living off the glory of two games.

Aikman made six Pro Bowls, and was in the conversation for best quarterback in the NFL at times during his career.

Edelman has his rings, but he's not a HOF player at all. LeGarrette Blount has 3 rings. Should he be in the HOF too?

1 hour ago, Wolverine_Joe said:

The ballot for Edelman will look ridiculous to voters lol.

0 Pro Bowls 

0 All Pros

< 10k receiving yards

< 50 touchdowns 

3 ringz doe (maybe 4 or 5)

Edelman has zero chance to make the HOF. Zero.

Archived