x0x

Can Edelman now make Hall of Fame?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. For playoff performance

• Yes
    • No

12 hours ago, x0x said:

Look up Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.

Troy Aikman for QBs has no shot at Canton without 3 Super Bowls maybe not even with 2.

Lynn Swann thing has already been discussed here. He has accolades in the Postseason and regular season Edelman doesn't.

John Stallworth I can't speak to either - way before my time.

but the one thing those guys all have is that they weren't JUST postseason heroes like Edelman is. They at least made some Pro Bowls or All-Pro's or put together great regular season campaigns. Edelman has never done that. I MEAN THE GUY ISN'T EVEN IN THE TOP 250 FOR CAREER RECEIVING TOUCHDOWNS.....!!!

16 minutes ago, x0x said:

He gets that 4th ring and 37 catches needed to break post-season record.

If he's #1 in playoff receptions and 4-time champion he'll get in eventually, be it 12th ballot or not.

I agree with this. 

The playoffs = the toughest competition. If Edelman can get those needed playoff numbers, he should AT LEAST be considered. 

If not, the only reason I can think of NOT to consider him would be writers from other cities that just have it in for the Patriots. 

By the way, @lancerman is right. THE MEDIA started this talk. Not just any media - former players. 

1 hour ago, x0x said:

But the main thing is his receptions in the playoffs behind only Jerry Rice. He's at 115 to Rice's 151 right now. Say he finishes with 142 playoff receptions, 4 rings and adds 3000 yards in the regular season and retires with 750 catches. He might get in on the 10-12th ballot.

That seems impressive on the surface.  And he has played well in the postseason.  But he's helped, a lot, by the fact he plays for the Patriots.  Without looking it up, he's probably averaging more than 2 postseason games/year, which is a whole helluva lot more than most receivers.

For example, Julio Jones isn't touching his postseason numbers, but not because he's a worse receiver or has played worse in the playoffs.  He just doesn't play for the Patriots.

The Patriots postseason success before Edelman came along doesn't help his case much either.

53 minutes ago, rfournier103 said:

I agree with this. 

The playoffs = the toughest competition. If Edelman can get those needed playoff numbers, he should AT LEAST be considered. 

If not, the only reason I can think of NOT to consider him would be writers from other cities that just have it in for the Patriots. 

By the way, @lancerman is right. THE MEDIA started this talk. Not just any media - former players. 

And against that toughest competition, he's done fine.  78 yds/game, .28 TDs/game.

His bulk stats are all-time great because he's among the leaders in playoff games played.

Reggie Wayne rarely played great in the posteason (maybe it was Manning holding him down, but regardless) - he's third in receptions all time because he played 21 playoff games.

EDIT: Edelman is outside of the top 50 in terms of yards/game in the playoffs.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_yds_per_g_career_playoffs.htm

No. And anybody who thinks he should be shouldn't be allowed to talk about football anymore. He has bulk playoffs numbers because he's literally never been on a team that wasn't in the playoffs. That's it. That's all he has. He's a nice slot guy who runs good routes. Put him on a ring of honor.

There is a logjam at receiver for the HoF as it is, guys who JUST have playoff numbers shouldn't even be factors.

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

As if his case wasn't weak enough.

I should be fair to Edelman here.

There are some 1 game heroes on that list.

And in addition, over his last 12 playoff games (the years he was a heavier target hog for the Pats), he's averaged 111 yards/game.

It still should not be enough to make him a HOF when his career numbers are more average for his era.

1 hour ago, x0x said:

If he's #1 in playoff receptions and 4-time champion he'll get in eventually, be it 12th ballot or not.

No. He won't. He won't ever get a single vote other than maybe some NE honk writer trying to get some easy clout..

This is an insane proposition. The regular season matters. And his regular season statistics and career aren't within any sort of trendline or stratosphere for a HOF player. And you're flatly wrong to think he should or will ever get in. If he does then the hall loses every ounce of legitimacy it could ever possibly have. 

6 hours ago, x0x said:

If Edelman is ever inducted, even in the hypothetical scenario you described, then I want Gary Clark, Sterling Sharpe, Mark Clayton, Rod Smith, Harold Carmichael, Henry Ellard, Brandon Marshall, Stanley Morgan, Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Andre Rison, Herman Moore, Steve Smith, Jimmy Smith, Irving Fryar, Roddy White, Hines Ward, Wes Chandler, Joe Horn, TY Hilton, Dez Bryant, Drew Pearson, Eric Moulds, Demaryius Thomas, Ahmad Rashad, Mike Quick, Harold Jackson, Wes Welker, and a lot of other receivers that are either currently active and just entering their prime or that I can’t think of right now inducted into the Hall of Fame as well

Because they were WAY better players than Edelman and none of them are getting in any time soon 

1 hour ago, footbull3196 said:

If Edelman is ever inducted, even in the hypothetical scenario you described, then I want Gary Clark, Sterling Sharpe, Mark Clayton, Rod Smith, Harold Carmichael, Henry Ellard, Brandon Marshall, Stanley Morgan, Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Andre Rison, Herman Moore, Steve Smith, Jimmy Smith, Irving Fryar, Roddy White, Hines Ward, Wes Chandler, Joe Horn, TY Hilton, Dez Bryant, Drew Pearson, Eric Moulds, Demaryius Thomas, Ahmad Rashad, Mike Quick, Harold Jackson, Wes Welker, and a lot of other receivers that are either currently active and just entering their prime or that I can’t think of right now inducted into the Hall of Fame as well

Because they were WAY better players than Edelman and none of them are getting in any time soon 

Dude, I agree those are better players overall, especially Sterling who I rate ahead of Rice in terms of peak value. However that's just not how the Hall works. That said I did go ahead and bold the guys I DO think get in at some point. While Thomas and Hilton are still very much active and could go in. You also forgot Cliff Branch who should get in at some point I think is more political than anything. Some of those guys are probably in already with just 1 ring if not with 2. Guys like Fryar and Henry Ellard. While guys like Moore and Sterling had too short of record but even still probably get in with a couple rings (Sterling will get in eventually though as he was more dominant).

7 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

No. He won't. He won't ever get a single vote other than maybe some NE honk writer trying to get some easy clout..

This is an insane proposition. The regular season matters. And his regular season statistics and career aren't within any sort of trendline or stratosphere for a HOF player. And you're flatly wrong to think he should or will ever get in. If he does then the hall loses every ounce of legitimacy it could ever possibly have. 

Have you seen some of the names in the Hall? The senior committee in particular has put some questionable guys in recently like Floyd Little and Fred Dean. I'm not even bringing up Lynn Swann or Troy Aikman.

Archived