Has Julian Edelman punched his ticket?

x0x

Can Edelman now make Hall of Fame?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. For playoff performance

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, theJ said:

EDIT: Edelman is outside of the top 50 in terms of yards/game in the playoffs.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_yds_per_g_career_playoffs.htm

He didn't become a full-time receiver until 2013. Since then he's averaged a hair over 95 yards per playoff game. That's substantially better than Jerry Rice.

Hines Ward finished his career with 1,000 receptions, over 12,000 yards and 85 TDs with six 1,000 yard seasons, 2 Super Bowls and also won an MVP award.

Ward hasn’t even come close to Canton yet. Though may get in someday, it’s far from a certainty.

By contrast Edelman has only 499 career catches, 5,390 yards and 30 receiving TDs with two 1,000 yard seasons with 3 rings and an MVP. He’s also 32 years old so won’t come close to Ward’s career numbers. 

WRs on the HOF ballot next year include Bruce, Holt, Ward and Reggie Wayne. 

Between 2021-23 we also have Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin and Wes Welker become eligible. 

Future HOF WRs playing today who have punched their ticket to Canton are Fitzgerald, AB and Julio. 

7 hours ago, Starless said:

He didn't become a full-time receiver until 2013. Since then he's averaged a hair over 95 yards per playoff game. That's substantially better than Jerry Rice.

I addressed that in a followup post.  And actually his ypg since being a full time receiver are better than that - 114 ypg.

The point remains that his bulk numbers, while impressive, are a circumstance of him playing for the right team.  He's a fine player.  But he has two (barely) 1000 yard seasons, has never been a big TD guy, and has been busted for PED's.  He won't make the hall.

4 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Honestly I think Troy Brown has a better case to be in the HOF than Edelman. (not saying he should be in)

He was basically the Edelman of the early 2000's Pats, was a better ST player and also played DB in a handful of games.

Didn't Edelman play a few games as a slot corner too?

Also, there's no way Troy would get in before Edelman.  Edelman already has his career numbers beat, and the hall isn't going to take ST play into big consideration.

Aside from the statistics, there's the fact that Edelman is simply not a good NFL wide receiver. Not only is he not great, he's not even good. Nor was Wes Welker. Nor was Troy Brown. These are/were journeyman-caliber #3 receivers whom any receiver off the damn street could replace and you wouldn't notice a difference. They are such blatant products of a system that I'm honestly shocked there are still so many fans who don't get it. You would think even the most casual of fans would notice all the screens and drags and the lack of coverage in the middle of the field against spread offenses. 

And in Edelman's case, he's not even a real wide receiver. He's a converted option quarterback with some of the worst hands you'll ever see at the position. But they love his toughness and feistiness so they put up with it.

Take any of Brown/Welker/Edelman out of New England and none of them post anything approaching 1,000 yards at any point in their careers. 

1 hour ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Aside from the statistics, there's the fact that Edelman is simply not a good NFL wide receiver. Not only is he not great, he's not even good. Nor was Wes Welker. Nor was Troy Brown. These are/were journeyman-caliber #3 receivers whom any receiver off the damn street could replace and you wouldn't notice a difference. They are such blatant products of a system that I'm honestly shocked there are still so many fans who don't get it. You would think even the most casual of fans would notice all the screens and drags and the lack of coverage in the middle of the field against spread offenses. 

And in Edelman's case, he's not even a real wide receiver. He's a converted option quarterback with some of the worst hands you'll ever see at the position. But they love his toughness and feistiness so they put up with it.

Take any of Brown/Welker/Edelman out of New England and none of them post anything approaching 1,000 yards at any point in their careers. 

Just curious if you remember that Wes Welker left New England or not?

On 2/3/2019 at 9:59 PM, footbull3196 said:

This is the stupidest thread I’ve ever seen.  Just the idea of suggesting Edelman for the HOF is absurd at best.  He’s a clutch player in playoff situations but that’s as far as it goes 

Nevermind this happened in the same season he was suspended 4 games for using PEDs. I guess we’re so used to the Patriots cheating now it’s just par for the course.

I mean...Welker did leave NE and did pretty alright.

And I don't think Jules is a great WR, but to say he's not even good is obviously dumb. He's got good hands - although admittedly suffered a case a dropsies this year (very common for WR coming off injuries) - he's got elite quickness, he's tough, evasive and great at reading a defense to find the soft spot in coverages. Plus he has a knack for coming up big when it counts.

Aside from the statistics, there's the fact that Edelman is simply not a good NFL wide receiver. Not only is he not great, he's not even good.

Rams defenders agree. So much so that they didn't even bother covering him for the first half. Then they started doubling him and look what happens, Patriots score 10 points in the fourth quarter which was obviously a direct result of Brady no longer wasting targets at Edelscrub. And how about his almost-drop with 2 minutes to go against the Falcons in SB51 that almost cost them the game. Scrubbiest SB MVP and 3 time SB champ ever.  

9_9 Sorry, but as silly as it is trying to put Edelman in the HOF, your take is even worse.

Edelman punching his ticket to the HOF.

Edelman not even being a receiver and having some of the worst hands of all time.

Not sure which is funnier. On topic, no, Edelman isn’t a HOFer and isn’t even close to being considered. He’s been a great Patriot and obviously one of the integral pieces to the last few SB runs. He’ll be in the Patriots HOF. But he’s not an all-time great - hell, I’m not sure he’s ever even been a top 15 receiver.

Archived