Has Julian Edelman punched his ticket?

x0x

Can Edelman now make Hall of Fame?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. For playoff performance

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I think the question is more worthwhile than folks give it credit for. TD made the HoF for his postseason play.

But Edelman's regular season numbers are just too pedestrian. He'd need to play until he's 40 and get 10,000 yards and far more than 30 TDs.

It’s a fair perspective 

but second goat postseason receiver to jerry... he’s got a chance 

6 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I think the question is more worthwhile than folks give it credit for. TD made the HoF for his postseason play.

But Edelman's regular season numbers are just too pedestrian. He'd need to play until he's 40 and get 10,000 yards and far more than 30 TDs.

Nah, it's less worthwhile than this thread's existence would suggest.

TD was an MVP, 3 time all pro, 2x OPOY, 2x rushing champ. He was MUCH better in his peak and is still FAR above in all time rushing standings than Edelam is for receiving and that is the weak part of what some consider a weak HOF resume.

Edelman is/was never a top 5 WR

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

Jacoby Jones won SB 47

I think the better player to mention there is Q. He won them the game as well, and he has regular season stats right on the border of hall of fame worthiness. I've never seen anyone really standing on a pedestal and shouting for his HOF candidacy.  He was a beast in the those playoffs in 2012, good for the niners in the playoffs the year after, pretty good for the Cards his one year they made it. He has more playoff touchdowns then edelman, averages about 7 yards fewer per game. Averaged about 3 yards more per reception than Edelman. Edelman does have better bulk stats by a decent margin with regards to receptions and yards. Q was also a ferocious blocker, of course. 

But again, nobody is really pumping up the Q HOF banter. 

7 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Terrell Davis is 55th all time in rushing yards

Terrell Davis is 49th all time in rushing TD's

Terrell Davis is 28th all time in rushing YPC

Not to mention he was 3x Pro-Bowl and 3x 1st-team All-Pro. Edelman has zero Pro Bowls (not that it really means much today) and zero All-Pro selections.

So yeah his postseason stats help his case, but he's still got SOME regular season accolades to help him. Edelman is literally just postseason stats and that's it.

EDIT: Damn, @wackywabbit beat me to it.

7 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I think that's underselling how great TD was in the regular season when he played. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think the better player to mention there is Q. He won them the game as well, and he has regular season stats right on the border of hall of fame worthiness. I've never seen anyone really standing on a pedestal and shouting for his HOF candidacy.  He was a beast in the those playoffs in 2012, good for the niners in the playoffs the year after, pretty good for the Cards his one year they made it. He has more playoff touchdowns then edelman, averages about 7 yards fewer per game. Averaged about 3 yards more per reception than Edelman. Edelman does have better bulk stats by a decent margin with regards to receptions and yards. Q was also a ferocious blocker, of course. 

But again, nobody is really pumping up the Q HOF banter. 

Boldin has a much better case than Edelman and he's not getting in. 13779 yards 82 TDs vs 5390 yards 30 TDs

... what are we doing here?

Just now, wackywabbit said:

Boldin has a much better case than Edelman and he's not getting in. 13779 yards 82 TDs vs 5390 yards 30 TDs

We're trying to convince ourselves that a guy who is maybe a top 250 WR all-time should be in the Hall of Fame because he had one good game in the Superbowl today.

8 minutes ago, mission27 said:

It’s a fair perspective 

but second goat postseason receiver to jerry... he’s got a chance 

The catch stat? All that means is he's played in more games. Largely because of Brady as the QB. He's never been close to being the greatest receiver in any single year.

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

Exactly. He doesn't have the bulk numbers of Edelman because Edelman plays for the Pats, but Boldin's post season performance is on par with Edelman's for the most part. Then he actually does have borderline HOF career statistics, which Edelman is way off of. It's insane to even think about Edelman as a hall of famer in my opinion. When Boldin comes up for HOF, people are going to say, "Hall of Very Good". And his career was better than Edelman's. 

9 minutes ago, mission27 said:

That being said if Edelman makes it

snd Barry ruching bonfs doesnt

thans horse ****

In fairness, Barry probably doesn't have the best chance to make the NFL hall of fame. After all, it's not like he was Harold Baines. 

Archived