Todd Gurley

showtime

7 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

There is an issue with his knee you could almost tell in my opinion just based on the way he was running he wasn't trying to cut real hard his runs were not overly aggressive. All of that on top of being extremely Limited. I'll be honest I'm starting to question Todd gurley's shelf life

Then he should have been listed on the injury report, which if I'm understanding this right, is mandatory.

https://operations.nfl.com/media/2683/2017-nfl-injury-report-policy.pdf

He said he wasn't injured, McVay said he wasn't injured, reports came out that he wasn't injured, he wasn't listed on the injury report, and to me and many others he didn't look injured. The evidence seems to point to him being fine unless the Rams aren't telling the whole story.

7 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Then he should have been listed on the injury report, which if I'm understanding this right, is mandatory.

He said he wasn't injured, McVay said he wasn't injured, reports came out that he wasn't injured, he wasn't listed on the injury report, and to me and many others he didn't look injured. The evidence seems to point to him being fine unless the Rams aren't telling the whole story.

Rams are going to get fined for sure if an injury was withheld - but that's a price they'll gladly have paid if it allowed them to win the SB, and allowed teams to plan for more Gurley.   With no prior history, a fine is the normal penalty (only once you get caught with prior history do lost picks come into play).

I'll stick with my call 2 weeks ago - meniscus.  It's the one injury you can try and play with and look ok for a few plays, then a floating piece locks it up, and you can't play until it settles down again (Mixon had this in-season, and played through it that game, then went under the knife).    I touched on this before, but the reason why Gurley may not have gone under the knife - if they felt a full repair was needed, it's a 10+ week recovery (Mixon got the shaving "minor" repair, that's only 2-3 weeks out, but you trade off almost certain early arthritis of the joint later down the line).

We'll find out soon enough - if there's an injury, Gurley's going to get a scope in the next 3-4 weeks (this week if there's no swelling, but they will need to wait if there's swelling).   I'll be very surprised if we don't hear about a scope before the Combine.

4 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I hear what you're saying but to me something just did not seem right with him they even referenced them being careful with his knee multiple times. I'm sorry but if you are being careful there has got to be a reason to be careful

He's clearly injured. Anyone who's followed him throughout can tell easily.

The safe bet is his ACL/MCL sprain. I mean he basically took a month off but you typically need 2 months off for that to fully heal.

So was his knee not hurt when he ran for 115 yards on 16 carries versus the Cowboys a few weeks ago?

That’s the only reason the “he’s hurt and can’t play so he’s a decoy” theory kinda falls flat for me.

In the Super Bowl pre-game on-field interview, McVay was asked about the status of Gurley for the game, and he said something like "he is ready today, i see it in his eyes", hinting towards a mental/attitude issue the other day against the Saints, rather than an injury. Perhaps i'm speculating too much, but it is possible that Gurley may actually be suffering of anxiety or other mental distress due to the high stakes in the last two games? He was also "injured" against the Cowboys in the divisional game, and yet he performed quite well, but an NFC championship and a superbowl is another level of game.

You've all played at some point and ran with the ball right? Rams fans - does he look different? Can he cut as violently as before? Is he shying away from contact? Is he less chirpy after plays? There are tell-tale signs. 

I'd go with injury, but I don't watch him enough to notice. 

3 hours ago, Dome said:

So was his knee not hurt when he ran for 115 yards on 16 carries versus the Cowboys a few weeks ago?

That’s the only reason the “he’s hurt and can’t play so he’s a decoy” theory kinda falls flat for me.

As others have mentioned, you can certainly run on an injured knee. You're just limited with certain moves and more prone to locking. I haven't had an ACL in a while and I can run just fine if it's in a straight line and I keep up with my regiment.

On that game specifically, he had a 35 and 18 yard run, otherwise he's 62 yards on 14 carries (4.4) and he had a whopping 2 catches for 3 yards.

5 hours ago, dtait93 said:

I could be wrong, but I believe if Gurley fully participated in practice, the Rams haven't broken any rules.

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if a few weeks it comes out that Gurley played with a partially torn MCL

Yeah, I thought it was mental during the NO game, but after seeing him try to run routes against NE and limp around the field, there's clearly something not right.

43 minutes ago, x0x said:

On that game specifically, he had a 35 and 18 yard run, otherwise he's 62 yards on 14 carries (4.4)

So if we ignore his best runs of the day his stats look worse. That’s a given though, you can create the same argument for any player in any game regardless of their health.

I don’t really get the point of the argument, he made runs of 35 and 18 on the same knee he played on for every other run that game.

What if we remove his 2 worst runs? Then his stats look better than they were. What would that tell us?

Just an odd way to make a point IMO.

Archived