Bigger Disappointment: Bears of 80s / Early 90s or Packers of 2010s?

footbull3196

Which team was the bigger disappointment?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which team was the bigger disappointment?

• Bears in late 80s / early 90s
    • Packers in 2010s

Both the 1985 Bears and 2010 Packers were considered to be dynasties in the making after winning the Super Bowl.  The 85 Bears had the best defense in the league, while the 2010 Packers had the best quarterback and arguably the best WR core in the league.  Neither team returned to the Super Bowl after that even though they definitely had chances

Bears had arguably an even better defense in 1986 when they went 14-2 as they set the record for fewest points allowed with 186 (which was since broken by the 2000 Ravens).  They lost in the divisional round to Washington.  They lost to Washington the following year in the divisional round and were blown out by the 49ers in the NFC Championship Game in 1988 (though some might argue they wouldn’t have been there in the first place if not for the Fog Bowl proving to be detrimental to Philly the previous week).  After that they never seriously threatened again before Ditka was fired after the 1992 season

The Packers were 15-1 but were upset in the divisional round by the 9-7 Giants who went on to win it all that year.  They blew their best opportunity to get back in 2014 with their collapse against Seattle, and they looked like they might run the table until they ran out of gas in 2016 against Atlanta

I still remember almost everyone on this forum claiming that the Packers team would win at least 2 more SBs in the next 5 years after winning SB45.      And it wasnt really an illogical thought to have....but they absolutely should have had more success since then.    They had nice talent on both sides of the ball, including maybe the most overall talented QB to ever play.

And its not just that they havent won another SB....but they havent even really come close.

I was too young to really know much about the Bears of the 80s and early 90s, but I cant imagine they were anywhere close to this Packers team in terms of expectations.  

It's easily the Packers. The 84-88 run is very respectable given their overall talent and competition of that era. Having to contend with Giants, WAS, and 49ers had to be incredibly difficult. I hear the Vikings were pretty decent team during that era. 

36 minutes ago, lancerman said:

One of them produced arguably the GOAT team and certainly the GOAT defense

I'm assuming you are saying the 85 Bears was the GOAT defense.  What team was the GOAT offense?  The 2011 Packers?  It was loaded but a GOAT offense doesn't lay an egg at home to a 4th seed in the divisional round.  :(  It is unfortunate we didn't have a better HC and teams surrounding Rodgers since our SB win in 2010.

In 1986 McMahon was injured (as per usual) and they trotted Doug Flutie out there doing the original "Bad Rex" performance. McMahon then stepped it up and did an even worse job for the 87 Bears.

I love the Bears, but I don't get the love for McMahon. He was literally the limiting factor for the 80s, between his sporadic play and injury woes. He had solid but small stretches, but was a leader more than a real impact player. His back ups were just so ridiculously bad he looked like a football god in comparison. Hell, plug a Kyle Orton-level guy in there and the Bears are talking about a dynasty. Just needed someone to not make a ton of turnovers and just to be mildly efficient and you win 80% of the games with that defense and offensive cast.

Both the 80s Bears and 2010s Packers definitely let their fanbases down though.

5 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I'm assuming you are saying the 85 Bears was the GOAT defense.  What team was the GOAT offense?  The 2011 Packers?  It was loaded but a GOAT offense doesn't lay an egg at home to a 4th seed in the divisional round.  :(  It is unfortunate we didn't have a better HC and teams surrounding Rodgers since our SB win in 2010.

I don’t think they were the GOAT offense. Certainly in the discussion but they have to answer for the 84 Dolphins, some of those Montana/Rice teams, the 90’s Cowboys, the 2004 Colts, the 2007 Patriots, the 2013 Broncos.  

The 1985 Bears are the best defense ever 

Archived