Overreaction on Goff

rocky_rams

This may be an overreaction after the great season Goff has had, but it’s still good to look at the future of our team. 

Do you guys think there’s a chance that Goff doesn’t get an extension at all and we end up moving on from him by the time our new stadium opens? 

Goff is a very good QB but if we look at the season, he’s had the best o line and a strong supporting cast. 

His drop off when pressured, is huge. He’s prolly had one of the worst performance for a QB in SB history. 

A patriots player even said we are going to show so many different looks that he will s*** his pants. That’s exactly what happened. 

Lamar Jackson had more TD passes in one quarter than Goff did all playoffs 

so its fair to look at these things because once he’s up for his extension, he will be commanding so much money that it will be difficult to keep star players around him. 

If he’s struggling this bad in huge games with a great supporting cast, do we trust him enough to carry a team with far less talent in the future?

Goff isnt going to not have far less talent. The young core players on offense are young and locked up long term. I look at the oline but I think Kromer is doing a nice job developing Noteboom and Allen for when they have to step in for Whitworth and Sullivan whenever they both retire. Havenstein is locked up long term and I totally see Saffold finishing his career with the Rams. So the oline still will be solid for the future. The defense outside of Donald and Johnson long term have question marks but if this season was any indication we know Goff and this offense can carry a defense that did give up a ton of yards and points. 

Im not going to overreact to Goff struggles when Gurley was banged up and Kupp was out. Goff showed toughness to go on the road and lead the Rams to beat the Saints. He didnt have a great game in the Superbowl but I thought he made a nice throw to Cooks that had he not dropped the ball or at least the refs called PI because the defender grabbed Cooks arm, the Rams score and the game wouldve been different. So I take this as a learning experience for both Goff and McVay.

Goff long term though will be fine. I believe in Goff and most importantly the team and coaches believe in him to get the job done. I dont think he has anything to prove. He proved it when he went to New Orleans and led the team to an OT win. Not only that but this season he had the most pressure on him than any young QB because everyone was saying the Rams were the "dream team" and "all in" and Goff led them when it couldve blown up in his face easily. 

7 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Misclick sorry. I'm just tired of the drama, you should see other websites. We should according to some cut everybody and start over it's pathetic. 

Dude it’s unreal. We weren’t even suppose to be here. Goff and Mcvay will only evolve. Out without Kupp/Gurley for the post season. Man that sucked. But hey there’s always next year, and I like our team going forward. I’m so happy Cooks balled out this post season. Dude has that dog in him and he and Jared should only get better.. There’s no shame running into a dynasty and losing. Specially when Goff is 23.. Manning didn’t get to a SB till he was 31!!!!!!!

I think it is definitely possible and not unreasonable to think that we may move on from Goff by the time his contract is up. But, I don't think it's likely. He's only 24 and has shown significant improvement in each of his 3 seasons. He's only going to be coming into his 3rd season with McVay, it's entirely possible that he takes yet another step up and shows a killer instinct and skill under pressure that he lacked this season. On top of that, when Gurley and Kupp were healthy, Goff was looking like an MVP candidate. 

I will say, though, that I am slightly concerned about whether Goff really has what it takes to be a real stud and SB winner in the long term. But the real question is whether we even need that to win SBs under McVay and his system and supporting cast. 

5 minutes ago, dtwizzy2k8 said:

I think it is definitely possible and not unreasonable to think that we may move on from Goff by the time his contract is up. But, I don't think it's likely. He's only 24 and has shown significant improvement in each of his 3 seasons. He's only going to be coming into his 3rd season with McVay, it's entirely possible that he takes yet another step up and shows a killer instinct and skill under pressure that he lacked this season. On top of that, when Gurley and Kupp were healthy, Goff was looking like an MVP candidate. 

I will say, though, that I am slightly concerned about whether Goff really has what it takes to be a real stud and SB winner in the long term. But the real question is whether we even need that to win SBs under McVay and his system and supporting cast. 

Lol. Maybe you’re right. But they said the same about Payton Manning. These threads suck as the only whipping boy is the QB. He didn’t have help.... But yes all on him. How can you expect a 24 QB to out duel Brady and the greatest coach there ever was? You want him to turn God mode when there’s maybe 2/3 QBs in the history of the NFL capable of that. 

2 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Lol. Maybe you’re right. But they said the same about Payton Manning. These threads suck as the only whipping boy is the QB. He didn’t have help.... But yes all on him. How can you expect a 24 QB to out duel Brady and the greatest coach there ever was? You want him to turn God mode when there’s maybe 2/3 QBs in the history of the NFL capable of that. 

FWIW I have felt this way about Goff well before the Super Bowl

That’s why I put overreaction. 

But to play devils advocate here, when you look at Mahomes, or Wentz when he’s healthy or even Mayfield, you see guys much better suited against pressure than Goff. 

I don’t think they play this bad of a game if they were on this team. 

I see Goff only getting better but dude just looked like deer in headlights today. 

But enough with all the excuses saying “we weren’t supposed to be here” or “he’s only 24”

he needs to have a better performance than this miserable output. If he had like a 250 yds 1 td and 1 pick with a 88.5 rating I’d understand, but homeboy had a 57 rating in the biggest game of his life. 

As far as being 24, Mahomes won an MVP at 23 playing behind a less of an offensive line and without Kareem Hunt for the last few games. 

Goff has to step up plain and simple. Especially against pressure. He also needs to get better at reading defenses. 

I think McVay works with Goff this training camp on facing pressure and reading defenses 

By the way, Devin McCourty said that the NE defense knew they could confuse Goff after they confused their own Brian Hoyer. Take that for what it’s worth

Goff is our guy. I don't care about the QBs other teams have. Where were they tonight? Watching the game from home. How did we get here? Goff outdueled Drew Brees. The Patriots got the better of us. Oh well. Goff will learn from it, like he has every other setback during his career.

9 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

of course only one game.

and that game against the lions. and that 1 game against the bears. or that 1 game against the eagles.

if you put pressure on goff he turns into hackenberg.

This is honestly the worst take I’ve seen on this forum. Not sure if you should be proud or ashamed. 

Archived