Why will we never see another Patriots dynasty again? Salary cap?

Championshiporbust

Six (6) Super Bowl championships from 2001 to 2018

Super Bowl XXXVI, Super Bowl XXXVIII, Super Bowl XXXIX, Super Bowl XLIX, Super Bowl LI, Super Bowl LIII

Nine (9) AFC Championships (9 Super Bowl appearances)

The Patriot Way.

We will never see this type of dynasty again, with the way how the salary cap in the NFL works.

How does the Patriots do it?

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/02/03/keegan-adhering-to-patriot-way-guides-team-to-another-super-bowl-and-beyond/

7 minutes ago, CKS97 said:

Playing in the worst dvision in sports history allows you to never play a WC game and only have to win 2 games, usually at  home.

Put Brady in the NFC, he'd have 2 rings at most.

This is always the worst argument. 

The Pats have only gone 6-0 in their division once, and that was when they went 16-0.

Let's say you swapped the Patriots with the Redskins in the NFC East, the Patriots still win that division in almost every season. They are 6-3 against the NFC in SB's

Also: The AFC has been the better conference than the NFC from 1997 - Present (When the Broncos broke the NFC's 15 year SB streak), even if you remove all the SB's the Pats have won, the AFC has still won more SB's than the NFC from that year on.

I think the two decade stretch will be incredibly hard to do. Athletes are lasting longer though, so can't say never.

You really have to get lucky with division / conference strength on top of having a coach like Bill and personnel staff like the Pats have.

Not to take away from the Pats, but it's an incredible gift to have a division that for all but a handful of years hit the snooze button.
And only ever like two teams in the AFC worth a damn at a time.

They give themselves a damn good crack at it ever year, at a certain point even if you aren't super talented (like many Pats rosters have been) you have a great chance to pull out a win or two.

16 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Also helps when your star QB always has taken a discount on his contract his entire career.

Always a bit of chicken or the egg to that though.  Are they so good because Brady has always been pretty flexible with his contracts?  Or has Brady always been flexible with his contracts because they've been so good, it's worth it?

Kinda lean toward the latter, but i think it's a healthy bit of both.

I think the cap management has been a really important secret sauce in the Patriots consistency and sustained success.  Fundamentally though, the biggest part of making their cap situation continually work, hasn't just been in Brady taking little discounts and restructures to make pieces fit better.   It's been in having the coaching to make the most out of cheaper players around him - rookies, vets gravitating there for a last kick at the can, coaching guys up into premier homegrown players who want to stay and win, and will take a bit of a haircut on their contract to do so.

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Always a bit of chicken or the egg to that though.  Are they so good because Brady has always been pretty flexible with his contracts?  Or has Brady always been flexible with his contracts because they've been so good, it's worth it?

Kinda lean toward the latter, but i think it's a healthy bit of both.

I think the cap management has been a really important secret sauce in the Patriots consistency and sustained success.  Fundamentally though, the biggest part of making their cap situation continually work, hasn't just been in Brady taking little discounts and restructures to make pieces fit better.   It's been in having the coaching to make the most out of cheaper players around him - rookies, vets gravitating there for a last kick at the can, coaching guys up into premier homegrown players who want to stay and win, and will take a bit of a haircut on their contract to do so.

isn't the whole thing that they just found a way to pay him outside the cap?

With that side business.

I've always heard people talk about it but can't remember the details

Archived