Why will we never see another Patriots dynasty again? Salary cap?

Championshiporbust

3 hours ago, Kiltman said:

isn't the whole thing that they just found a way to pay him outside the cap?

With that side business.

I've always heard people talk about it but can't remember the details

Apparently a company Brady partly owns is paid to provide the trainers/ medical services to the Pats. Every other team in the NFL gets sponsorship money from their providers, along with those services.

Is that the one you’re thinking of?

14 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

tHe pAts dIvIsIoN sUcKs which iS wHy tHey bEaT tHe cHarGeRs aNd tHe cHiEfs (twice) aNd the rAmS.

pretty sure they also went undefeated against playoff teams, get out of here with this overused excuse.

Nobody's saying they suck. They've just been very fortunate the other 3 have been fairly incompetant at building a contender, thus the Patriots are able to usually get 4-6 wins within their division fairly easily. 

What's been the best QB in the division besides Brady? Chad Pennington? 

It is absolutely incredible. There's obviously a large degree of good fortune to it considering this was New England's first super bowl during the regime that wasn't a 1 score final drive game. They could have just as easily won or lost the rest of them. 

I think the best way to put this into perspective is to look at the Packers. They've literally had 1st Hall of Fame QBs (some would argue both top 10 all time!) since 1992 and have only gone to 3 Super Bowls going 2-1 in that 27 season run. The Patriots have been to more CONSECUTIVE AFC Championships in that run than the Packers have had total NFC Championships. Patriots have went to the Super Bowl more times in the last 5 years and won more times than the Packers have in literally more than 5x the time. Even in the Packers win the next 3 Super Bowls they'll have won less in 30 years with 2 of the greatest QBs of all time than the Patriots have.

This isn't the first time we've seen a team dominate like this but with the salary cap of today and FA it is not easy to keep teams together so I'm not holding my breath for this kind of domination to occur again in our lifetime.

10 minutes ago, Malik said:

It is absolutely incredible. There's obviously a large degree of good fortune to it considering this was New England's first super bowl during the regime that wasn't a 1 score final drive game. They could have just as easily won or lost the rest of them. 

I think the best way to put this into perspective is to look at the Packers. They've literally had 1st Hall of Fame QBs (some would argue both top 10 all time!) since 1992 and have only gone to 3 Super Bowls going 2-1 in that 27 season run. The Patriots have been to more CONSECUTIVE AFC Championships in that run than the Packers have had total NFC Championships. Patriots have went to the Super Bowl more times in the last 5 years and won more times than the Packers have in literally more than 5x the time. Even in the Packers win the next 3 Super Bowls they'll have won less in 30 years with 2 of the greatest QBs of all time than the Patriots have.

I think the biggest difference here is BB.  Favre and Rodgers have been superb but the Pack hasn't had the ridiculous success NE has enjoyed.  I wonder if we would have had more SB appearances if Mike Holmgren stayed as our HC back in 1998?   

5 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I think the biggest difference here is BB.  Favre and Rodgers have been superb but the Pack hasn't had the ridiculous success NE has enjoyed.  I wonder if we would have had more SB appearances if Mike Holmgren stayed as our HC back in 1998?   

I believe it. He immediately turned the Seahawks around and they had more success with him than in their previous franchise history. Mike Sherman had loaded Packers teams 00-04 and didn't do much with them.

37 minutes ago, Pugger said:

This isn't the first time we've seen a team dominate like this but with the salary cap of today and FA it is not easy to keep teams together so I'm not holding my breath for this kind of domination to occur again in our lifetime.

It’s the first time we’ve seen a team have this longevity and domination in the Super Bowl era. This run alone basically put the Patriots as the most successful team of the Super Bowl era.

27 minutes ago, lancerman said:

It’s the first time we’ve seen a team have this longevity and domination in the Super Bowl era. This run alone basically put the Patriots as the most successful team of the Super Bowl era.

Under Chuck Noll the Steelers were THE dominate team for a stretch and that franchise won 6 rings with different HCs since 1972.  The 49ers of the 80s ad 90s dominated too with successive HCs.  For 22 seasons the 49ers missed the playoffs only 4 times and won 5 SBs.  Yes, you have one more trophy than SF but the 49ers dominated the league back then just like your team is doing today.  

The funny thing to think about is that after the first Super Bowl win they slumped to 9-7 and missed the playoffs many people believed they would end up being a fluke and one hit wonder and then started 2003 at 2-2 and from there went on the run that has kept going. Although father time has to catch Brady eventually, right, although I have been thinking it for about four years now 

3 minutes ago, chrispw1 said:

The funny thing to think about is that after the first Super Bowl win they slumped to 9-7 and missed the playoffs many people believed they would end up being a fluke and one hit wonder and then started 2003 at 2-2 and from there went on the run that has kept going. Although father time has to catch Brady eventually, right, although I have been thinking it for about four years now 

will be interesting to see it develop. Will Brady regress in 2019, stay the same as 2018 or improve with more dynamic outside receivers? We'll see. NE won the SB this year with a rather average year from Brady though.

20 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Under Chuck Noll the Steelers were THE dominate team for a stretch and that franchise won 6 rings with different HCs since 1972.  The 49ers of the 80s ad 90s dominated too with successive HCs.  For 22 seasons the 49ers missed the playoffs only 4 times and won 5 SBs.  Yes, you have one more trophy than SF but the 49ers dominated the league back then just like your team is doing today.  

The Steelers were great for a 6 year stretch in the 70’s. Were mediocre in the 80’s and 90’s for the mist part. They’ve been good since 2004 but nothing like that. 

That wasn’t 18 years of sustained success. 

49’ers were close but 5 Super Bowls to 9 in appearances. And they’ve been going longer still. Plus the amount of AFCCG appearances. And the fact that the Pats never went more than 3 years without a Super Bowl appearance 

And keep in mind a huge piece of that was pre the current NFL structure. Both were virtual Super Teams which can’t exist today. 

The Patriots are a combination of the Landry Cowboys 20 years of sustained success with the Niner’s Super Bowl pedigree with an extra ring and more appearances 

2 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

will be interesting to see it develop. Will Brady regress in 2019, stay the same as 2018 or improve with more dynamic outside receivers? We'll see. NE won the SB this year with a rather average year from Brady though.

Your defense was ridiculously underrated this year.

Archived