Why will we never see another Patriots dynasty again? Salary cap?

Championshiporbust

Bill Walsh's SF 49ers of the 1980s had all of the criteria above. What they lacked was the good fortune to play in era they could best for two decades.

During the '80s, the Washington Redskins won 3 SBs. Denver challenged 3 times, the Bears were consistently close to a dynasty.

1 hour ago, Buddyboy said:

Belichick has the great good luck to have a QB that can play like Starr and hold up like Blanda.

Not only is the AFC E bereft of competition, the entire AFC is dodgy.

Only the NYG with Manning has succeeded twice.

Brady had to play against the PM led Colts and Broncos for much of his career, plus the Steelers have been pretty damn good for most of it as well as the Chargers and Ravens having strong periods.

The best team for an extended period of time in the NFC during Brady's career is maybe the Seahawks for a while? They aren't really full of more powerhouses than the AFC has been.

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

Brady had to play against the PM led Colts and Broncos for much of his career, plus the Steelers have been pretty damn good for most of it as well as the Chargers and Ravens having strong periods.

The best team for an extended period of time in the NFC during Brady's career is maybe the Seahawks for a while? They aren't really full of more powerhouses than the AFC has been.

People mistake the NFC not having a dominant powerhouse that is always there ever year for them being a better conference. They aren’t. Teams get hot for one year in the NFC and then run through everyone like they are butter. Panthers, Falcons, Eagles, Rams. All made the Super Bowl in an up year. Both Giants runs had them getting hot in the playoffs. Even the 03 Panthers and 06 Bears did the same. 

In the AFC a team gets hot and then ran into the Patriots, Steelers, or whatever team had Peyton. 

8 hours ago, Buddyboy said:

Belichick has the great good luck to have a QB that can play like Starr and hold up like Blanda.

Not only is the AFC E bereft of competition, the entire AFC is dodgy.

Only the NYG with Manning has succeeded twice.

Nah. The AFC has a winning record vs. the NFC since 2001. Also, even if you exclude all the SBs the Patriots were in, the AFC still has a winning 5-4 record in the SB since 2001.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:00 AM, CKS97 said:

Playing in the worst dvision in sports history allows you to never play a WC game and only have to win 2 games, usually at  home.

Put Brady in the NFC, he'd have 2 rings at most.

This argument has been debunked numerous times. Constanatly repeating it doesn't make it true.

A dynasty like the Pats is something else. But imo we were quite close to 2 other dynasties since the Pats started theirs.

The Steelers by beating the packers in 11 (06-09-11).

And i would have given the Seahawks a good shot at a three-peat if they had gone for a run by Lynch over Wilsons int. Imo that decision killed the team.

Great QB, great coach, an owner who cares but lets the football people make the decisions...these are all big reasons the pats have been dominant in the free agency period.  Often times they would use just serviceable or versatile players to fill gaps, but they had the rocks of their foundation in place.  

20 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Gruden would have benched Brady by mid-season and the Patriots would have finished bottom 5 in both offense and defense. 

Gruden would have been a genius with Brady.

Watch this play, @1:56, ht tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TazshKUz6XU&t=4s

Can you tell what Brady did special in the play? (of course, Edelmen was great too, I will argue that he deserves HOF in 2nd nomination.)

(If you can, slow the play down by 3x, and watch out the moment Edelmen turned and the moment Brady threw the ball.)

If you still can't figure out what Brady did special, please change your screen name.

Nah, you're never going to see the GOAT coach paired with an elite quarterback for that long. You're never going to see a team somehow maintain consistently good defenses for 19 years straight, and obviously, the offense is almost automatically good by virtue of having an elite QB. 

11 minutes ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Nah, you're never going to see the GOAT coach paired with an elite quarterback for that long. You're never going to see a team somehow maintain consistently good defenses for 19 years straight, and obviously, the offense is almost automatically good by virtue of having an elite QB. 

Due to lousy offense in AFCE, please add 30-40 pts before grading the defense.

BTW, the offense by GOAT coach produced only one "good" season before Brady, 340 pts, all the other seasons (with Bernie kosar and Drew Bledsoe) his offense scored 300 or less, his team was more like 2018 Bills.

Of course, it is possible that Bernie Kosar and Drew Bledsoe were as bad as Tebow or that Belichick himself was struck by lightening at the night of Sept, 23rd 2001.

Will you tell me which one it is?

Just now, William Lee said:

Due to lousy offense in AFCE, please add 30-40 pts before grading the defense.

Yeah that balances itself out across a career, and certainly doesn't have especially large effects even in the most severe cases, and there are plenty of other bad divisions too that teams can benefit from playing against. 

2 minutes ago, William Lee said:

BTW, the offense by GOAT coach produced only one "good" season before Brady, 340 pts, all the other seasons his offense scored 300 or less, his team was more like Bills.

Of course, it is possible that he was struck by lightening at the night of Sept, 23rd 2001.

Did you read what I said? This is a completely nonsensical as a response. Like, it doesn't even remotely refute what I said. 

7 minutes ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Yeah that balances itself out across a career, and certainly doesn't have especially large effects even in the most severe cases, and there are plenty of other bad divisions too that teams can benefit from playing against. 

Did you read what I said? This is a completely nonsensical as a response. Like, it doesn't even remotely refute what I said. 

Do you know who Terry Glenn is? he was Pats WR in 2000, the leading receiver Pats had at that time.

Drew Bledsoe scored 276 pts in 16 games with him in 2000 season.

and Terry Glenn played 4 games and was out in 2001, and Pats offense score 351 pts in 14 games with Brady.

You don't have to refute, I understand someone just post something to feel good about themselves or their favorite QB.

1 minute ago, William Lee said:

Do you know who Terry Glenn is? he was Pats WR in 2000, the best in Pats at time time.

Drew Bledsoe scored 276 pts with him in 200 season.

and Terry Glenn was out in 2001, and Pats offense score 351 pts in 14 games with Brady.

You don't have to refute, I understand someone just post something to feel good about themselves or their favorite QB.

Yeah none of this is relevant to my point in any capacity. Again, I have to wonder if you actually read my original post. Especially since now you seem to be thinking I was referring to myself refuting your point in the last post. 

And LOL at you assuming a bias in something like this. 

Archived