Greater player of all time? Jerry Rice or Tom Brady

mdonnelly21

119 members have voted

1. 1. Greater player of all time?

• Tom Brady
    • Jerry Rice

17 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Brady had 2 Hall of Fame careers. 

Is that you Bill Simmons? I'm talking from a sheer statistical breakdown.

If you divided his stats in half, he has a mediocre 36,000 passing yards and 260 TD. Those are good numbers. They aren't HOF stats.

If you divided Jerry Rice's in half, you have 11,400 receiving yards, 780 receptions, over 100 total TD...making him an ELITE WR if you cut it in half!

17 hours ago, LieutenantGains said:

Is this serious? Brees can’t hold a candle to Brady, Montana, or Manning. Hell, Rodgers is probably better when you look at everything. There is no argument that Brees is better than the first 3 I mentioned unless a person is being a homer 

There is nothing but argument but that's not what this thread is about. The fact that a WR is in this conversation is enough said. That's how good Rice was. Its widely believe that any of the Top Qb could replicate Brady's success with Coach B. There is no one arguing the same for Rice. Great Wr make QB's better its not the other way around.

A QB is key to winning super bowls but you ever notice they win when they are least evolve.

Edited by MrnastiesNO

If you hold Brady playing under Belichick against him you have to also acknowledge that WR is EASILY the most dependent QB and Rice played the majority of his career (and all his best years, and clearly had a statistical downturn after he left them) with Montana and Young on a revolutionary WCO that was winning titles without him. There are no peers (TO, Moss, Fitz, CJ, Largeny) that were even close to as fortunate as Rice for the team they were on and who they played with 

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

If you hold Brady playing under Belichick against him you have to also acknowledge that WR is EASILY the most dependent QB and Rice played the majority of his career (and all his best years, and clearly had a statistical downturn after he left them) with Montana and Young on a revolutionary WCO that was winning titles without him. There are no peers (TO, Moss, Fitz, CJ, Largeny) that were even close to as fortunate as Rice for the team they were on and who they played with 

You're argument would have merit, Until you realize at age 40 and 41 Rice put up elite #s with Rich Gannon as his QB.  

I'm not arguing against Brady, but in terms of "at their positions" it's simply not close.  Every great WR acknowledges that the undisputed GOAT is Rice.  There are still statistical arguments against Brady, even with him playing as long as Rice.  Honestly, this shouldnt even be a question.

59 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You're argument would have merit, Until you realize at age 40 and 41 Rice put up elite #s with Rich Gannon as his QB.  

I'm not arguing against Brady, but in terms of "at their positions" it's simply not close.  Every great WR acknowledges that the undisputed GOAT is Rice.  There are still statistical arguments against Brady, even with him playing as long as Rice.  Honestly, this shouldnt even be a question.

Elite? He put up respectable numbers. His career numbers as a whole dropped significant after 1996  Prior to that he broke 1200 yards in 10 of his 12 seasons (many of those bring higher than 1400). He only did it twice in the next 8 years. He had double digit TD’s 8 out of his 12 seasons before 1996. He never did again afterwards. He averaged over 15 yards a reception for 9 of his first 12 seasons. From 1996 onwards he never did and had only two seasons where he got close by getting to 14. 

His last few years with Young and his time in Oakland were a massive downgrade. So yeah he did benefit from being the sole star WR of Steve Young and Joe Montana. 

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Is that you Bill Simmons? I'm talking from a sheer statistical breakdown.

If you divided his stats in half, he has a mediocre 36,000 passing yards and 260 TD. Those are good numbers. They aren't HOF stats.

If you divided Jerry Rice's in half, you have 11,400 receiving yards, 780 receptions, over 100 total TD...making him an ELITE WR if you cut it in half!

more passing yards than the then as best QB of all time regarded Joe Montana had for the 49ers. Including 3 SB titles. Easily HOF worthy.

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

more passing yards than the then as best QB of all time regarded Joe Montana had for the 49ers.

Montana had over 40,000 passing yards. Adding the "for the 49ers" portion is funny though. Ignoring the era that they played in for pass attempts/rules changes/etc. is also revisionist history.

If anything, that argument cuts both ways, saying that Jerry Rice would have had even better stats if the 49ers actually had a modern offense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 4:48 PM, sammymvpknight said:

If you put Tom Brady on any NFL franchise, is he a HOF player?

If you put Jerry Rice on any NFL franchise, is he a HOF player?

I tend to believe that Rice is going to be a HOF on any NFL franchise. I'm not sure the same is true of Brady. Just my opinion.

Neither of them would be. Brady benefits from a smart HC (and an organization that gets away with shenanigans). Rice benefited from playing in an era where passing started to be more and more common, and in a passing offense (a lot of great WR's in history didn't get to play in the type of scheme that Rice did).