Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
soulman

Why Signing Bryce Callahan Makes Sense

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think and hope they can keep both but if they can't I just can't value Callahan over Amos.

The slot CB is so important these days and Callahan is very good. In a man system that wants to blitz I would understand them not wanting a liability at that spot.

That being said his durability issues are 100% a problem when talking a long term commitment.

That being said I am not sure they will want a 7 million dollar safety [Amos] playing next to a 12 million dollar safety [Jackson] that is a ton of money invested in the S position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

The slot CB is so important these days and Callahan is very good. In a man system that wants to blitz I would understand them not wanting a liability at that spot.

That being said his durability issues are 100% a problem when talking a long term commitment.

That being said I am not sure they will want a 7 million dollar safety [Amos] playing next to a 12 million dollar safety [Jackson] that is a ton of money invested in the S position.

You have to remember going into next year we have $23 million tied up in to corners right now...cut Amukamara next year and have a 2nd round rookie and Toliver fight it out for that other CB spot frees up a lot of money to invest in safeties...as a position group of DBs we can be fluid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

You have to remember going into next year we have $23 million tied up in to corners right now...cut Amukamara next year and have a 2nd round rookie and Toliver fight it out for that other CB spot frees up a lot of money to invest in safeties...as a position group of DBs we can be fluid.

I agree that Prince is likely gone, but that money will be shifted to Jackson and then some.

I would sign Amos. But I also understand the uniqueness of Callahan being so good in the slot.

It is going to be a battle to keep both. The Bears could easily get priced out for both guys depending on how the market shifts and how much money they are comfortable moving into the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what happens is that they keep 1 of Amos or Callahan, both seems like a long shot.

They use the 3rd round pick to replace the other.

Then they draft for future needs at OG, outside CB and OLB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I agree that Prince is likely gone, but that money will be shifted to Jackson and then some.

I would sign Amos. But I also understand the uniqueness of Callahan being so good in the slot.

It is going to be a battle to keep both. The Bears could easily get priced out for both guys depending on how the market shifts and how much money they are comfortable moving into the future.

I just feel you can't sped big money on a guy who is so injury prone...you can be the best player in the world but if you can't stay on the field your not worth much at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is tough but I am going to say they roll the dice on Callahan just because of the fact that the league is so pass oriented. I think you can sign Callahan for 4/28M or thereabouts. The problem will be the guaranteed money and how you structure it via cap hits. As Soul mentioned you could really reward him with roster bonuses for games played but I am sure he will want a bit of guaranteed money upfront or front loaded. The key thing is that Pace normally gets his player but the contract is always structured cleverly.

Edited by malagabears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Well, initial reports are that Amos is determing his value based on his PFF ratings from last year of being the highest or second highest (can't recall which) safety in the NFL.  Pace doesn't agree with that value of him, apparently, but we will see how it plays out.  I imagine Callahan will get paid, but considering how strapped for cash the Bears are, I doubt we are the ones to give him the cash.

Well even this year he's still the 3rd ranked UFA Safety behind Earl Thomas and Landon Collins so he's still in pretty rare company.

Given that I don't why Amos would even think about not testing the market for offers.  This may be his only shot a his 4-5 year big deal and I don't see Pace tossing out an offer with $25 -$35 mil gtd. like Jones and Chancellor got.

My thinking is Amos will come in somewhere around what Tony Jefferson got which would be about $8.5 mil apy with around $20 mil gtd. and with a need to also extend Jackson's deal I just don't see Pace spending that kind of money on Amos.

Callahan should be much less expensive to sign.  JMHO

Edited by soulman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Best ability is availability.  

Long, Shaheen and Callahan are good players, but they don't help on the sidelines.

Paying Callahan would be same mistake as paying Long was.   Bears ruined Long playing him hurt in meaningless seasons and compounding his injuries.  Might be why they keep him around.  They feel bad.

Shaheen needs to stay mostly healthy next two years or I wouldn't resign him either.

 

 

I'm gonna have to call BS on the Long thing and anyway it doesn't fit your reasoning.  If he really couldn't play at a high level any longer and Pace believed that he'd be released.  I don't believe that's true.

And Shaheen isn't a concern now but Callahan is.  We can get to Shaheen later.

Fuller missed an entire season and got called out over it yet came back and earned his new deal.

ARob got paid even while recovering from an ACL tear and still wasn't 100% his old self this year.

We tagged AJ after injuries and missed games and Philly paid him when we wouldn't and got rewarded.

So it's not like it never happens.  Players get injured all the time.  In some cases it impacts their value but not always.

Callahan is a highly respected Slot CB.  He's earned a new deal and someone is gonna pay him.  Considering that I believe he can be signed for far less than it will take to keep Amos I'm shading my thinking in that direction and I've already posted how I would attempt to structure his deal so we're protected somewhat both in cash and cap.  I do think in his case Pace and Laine need to be a little more creative.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Callahan will be easier to re-sign. I expect because of Amos' durability and coming off his best season that he will have a stronger market.

Callahan I think has a chance to come back at a number the Bears like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The slot CB is so important these days and Callahan is very good. In a man system that wants to blitz I would understand them not wanting a liability at that spot.

That being said his durability issues are 100% a problem when talking a long term commitment.

That being said I am not sure they will want a 7 million dollar safety [Amos] playing next to a 12 million dollar safety [Jackson] that is a ton of money invested in the S position.

My point exactly Windy and I also don't believe we'd get Amos for only $7 mil apy.  Callahan yes, but Amos no.

Callahan's bargaining power with us or any team is weakened somewhat by his injury history.  But, teams can minimize their risk via the contract structure with less guaranteed money going to a signing bonus and via per game roster bonuses.  It's more cap friendly initially and it can also provide cap and cash relief down the road if he is injured again.

It's not all that uncommon to use that approach as protection when past injuries have been a factor.  If the player stays healthy he still collects 100%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massie with an 8.3 2020 cap hit is going to further limit the money we can spend this season on multi year deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, soulman said:

My point exactly Windy and I also don't believe we'd get Amos for only $7 mil apy.  Callahan yes, but Amos no.

Callahan's bargaining power with us or any team is weakened somewhat by his injury history.  But, teams can minimize their risk via the contract structure with less guaranteed money going to a signing bonus and via per game roster bonuses.  It's more cap friendly initially and it can also provide cap and cash relief down the road if he is injured again.

It's not all that uncommon to use that approach as protection when past injuries have been a factor.  If the player stays healthy he still collects 100%.

I see where you are coming from that he is in a weaker position due to his injury history but it also brings down his value for us too...if Callahan does hit the open market he is not coming back here for a contract full of performance related bonuses...someone will off him straight up money...Callahan needs to decide if he wants to resign here to be used right and be part of a potentially historical defence...if he is all about money he will walk to someone with more cash than sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Football players should be about money unless they are at end of their career or a super star QB.  

A super star QB would be wise to take less money and win because he will earn more from many facets.  

If you already had your big free agent deal then you go somewhere for a ring. 

Everyone else should be looking to get paid.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 10:17 AM, dll2000 said:

PFF rankings have not impressed me.  

It's not them.  Grading every play using combination of objective and subjective data (big time throws?) often without context and turning that into a ranking doesn't always translate well.

Buckeye helmet stickers and loafs is a better system.  Honestly.

 

 

It's not just the PFF rankings that will come into play though.  There's a ton of game film on all of the top Safeties.

These five are all listed as Top 20 UFAs and it might be hard to dispute any of them getting good offers.

1) Earl Thomas (but how will his injury impact him)

2) Landon Collins

3) Adrian Amos

4) Lamarcus Joyner

5) Ha Ha Clinton Dix

I'm not clairvoyant but I can't help but thinking Amos will be in play for a deal pretty close to what Tony Jefferson got which in 2017 guaranteed him $19 mil during it's first two years.  Baltimore put $10 mil of it into his SB but then restructured it twice to lower his 2017 and 2018 cap and in doing so locked themselves in for 2019 as well.  So Jefferson will have averaged $9 mil a year for his first three years.  I see Amos getting a similar offer.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/tony-jefferson-12541/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said I am leaning towards resigning Callahan due to the pass happy NFL. The Bears tend to trot out the nickel package more than 50% of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×