Impending free agents/cuts

NVRamsFan

7 hours ago, RamRod said:

Saffold and Littleton are musts to bring back. Joyner and Suh go. I think Malcolm Brown and CJ Anderson both could go. Both could assume larger roles on other teams and we'll still have Gurley to handle the load and Kelly to mix in.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Fowler. The franchise tag could be a possibility. 

Mannion is gone. Never showed much and we've had our eye on QBs in the draft.

Littleton's an RFA, so the odds of him being back are considerably better than not.  We're probably going to have to put at least a 2nd round tender on him given the production he had this season, but fortunately this is a defense-rich draft class and there are a lot of guys in it whose skill-sets match up with what he does best, so that will likely discourage teams from itching to give him a contract we wouldn't match AND giving up pick compensation.

Unless we're really pressed for needing the cap-space (which I don't see as the case), I feel like Peters is going to, at minimum, be allowed to play out his 5th year option (we have three CB's - and Darious Williams - on the roster right now including him, what with Hill and Shields being UFA's and Hatfield really being the only ERFA that's made a case to be more than practice squad fodder at this point).  Hatfield and Peterson likely both get retained on tenders, but I can't see Peterson being looked at as someone who can be counted on to contribute.

It'll be one of Brown or Anderson that are back, not both.  The investment in Kelly was enough that, assuming he gets his pass-blocking together, he'll likely get some run-out.

Fowler likely depends entirely on the price-tag.  I wouldn't be shocked to see him get the franchise tag, but I'd be disappointed because i feel like it sets the benchmark that he needs to reach in order to get the contract he's expecting above what Fowler's (honestly) capable of.  And we're not going to do ourselves any favors giving high-end edge-rusher money to a guy who isn't a high-end edge-rusher.

6 hours ago, El ramster said:

Hopefully we could bring in Jordan Reed from chi on a great price. Our TEs are far just too inconsistent. Have Gerald line up at WR. Higbee is a solid blocker but leaves a lot to be desired. Had we had Kupp yesterday we win! We lack dogs who could break the press.. Edelman killed the press coverage yesterday. 

I just don't see it working.  For one, Reed managing to go this season without a toe injury was the first time he's done it in what?  4 seasons?  Guy always misses time for injury and Everett is still on a rookie deal.  I'm not opposed to bringing in some competition at TE, but Reed doesn't block and with how much we run the same personnel on offense, I just don't see the fit without forfeiting our ability to run more hurry-up (which we should be doing more of, not less).

I also don't think Brockers is a clear cut the way some folks do either.  However, he could be destined for a similar destiny that Quinn and Ogletree did - traded to a team where he's a better scheme-fit (especially if there's one making a transition to said scheme under a new coach/coordinator) for a mid-round pick.  (I may be reaching here, but I could see a scenario where we end up eating his roster bonus against the cap and trade him at his current salary - $7m is reasonable - to effective "buy" another pick.)

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if the club use this past season's underperformance on Brockers' part to extend at a much lower cost and bring his cap-number down substantially.  I do agree, cutting him makes sense considering this year is his "out year" where we'd only be on the hook for $750k against the ledger, but it does create another hole.  His roster bonus is due 3/15; that's post-combine, post Franchise tagging period, and post Free Agent tampering period, so Les should be able to get a pretty good feel for whether certain guys on other teams may be hitting the market or getting released - as I wouldn't expect us to release Big Mike without turning right around and going after a DL on the market - similar to how we were willing to trade-away Quinn with the eye towards a very-likely release of Suh.

16 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I also don't think Brockers is a clear cut the way some folks do either.  However, he could be destined for a similar destiny that Quinn and Ogletree did - traded to a team where he's a better scheme-fit (especially if there's one making a transition to said scheme under a new coach/coordinator) for a mid-round pick.  (I may be reaching here, but I could see a scenario where we end up eating his roster bonus against the cap and trade him at his current salary - $7m is reasonable - to effective "buy" another pick.)

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if the club use this past season's underperformance on Brockers' part to extend at a much lower cost and bring his cap-number down substantially.  I do agree, cutting him makes sense considering this year is his "out year" where we'd only be on the hook for $750k against the ledger, but it does create another hole.  His roster bonus is due 3/15; that's post-combine, post Franchise tagging period, and post Free Agent tampering period, so Les should be able to get a pretty good feel for whether certain guys on other teams may be hitting the market or getting released - as I wouldn't expect us to release Big Mike without turning right around and going after a DL on the market - similar to how we were willing to trade-away Quinn with the eye towards a very-likely release of Suh.

I could see a trade or a restructure/extension type deal.

So the ERFA's will all be brought back, because that doesnt really cost us anything, but doesnt mean they will make the roster

• JoJo Natson
  • Dominique Hatfield
  • Kevin Peterson
  • Khadarel Hodge
  • Garret Sickles

And there doesnt seem any reason to non-tender our RFAs either (maybe Carlos Thompson)

• Cory Littleton - might need to tender him as high as possible, is also a guy most likely to receive an extension this offseason
  • Blake Countess - solid and should have an expanding role, worth hanging onto for his walk season
  • Malcolm Brown - tender him, and if someone really wants him they can have him. They drafted John Kelly for a reason (plus J.Davis is still on the roster)
  • Morgan Fox - There was some hope for him before the ACL, he sticks around for camp at least
  • Carlos Thompson - roster depth for now

We have about a dozen UFAs, about half are replacement level, and the other half we have some decisions to make. For the first group;

• Dominique Easley - its time to move on
  • Matt Longacre - definition of replacement level
  • Ethan Westbrooks - he can hep a team, but he took a step back
  • Sean Mannion - we were all done with him a year ago
  • Bryce Hager - for cheep I wouldnt mind having him back
  • Ramik Wilson - I liked the attempt with this singing, didnt make a jump, would like more of these for '19

And now some serious decisions;

• LaMarcus Joyner - Ive always liked LJ, and now that he is finally playing his true position Im sure things he said in the past dont apply anymore. But we have all seen how the Safety market shook out last offseason, and turns out the Franchise Tag may have been overpaying him. I think we all agree its time to part ways and find his replacement elsewhere
  • Ndamukong Suh - Everyone has been very excited since this playoff run where he actually showed up (hadnt all regular season) And if we could count on atleast that next year... sure sign me up. But that only comes with another 1 year deal. My concern is that is not on Suh list of options for 2019. He just turned 32, he probably gets to cash in one more time for a 3 or 4 year deal (3 years of money) and giving up that for a 1 year deal with us seems unlikely.
  • Rodger Saffold - everyone here has a soft spot for Rodger, and I agree he has been great, but I will point out, If Whit and Sullivan dont want to retire, and we want to bring back Saffold, then we are pushing Noteboom to the bench again. I have my thoughts on whta we should do there (cut Sullivan, slide Blythe over, and get Noteboom in at a Guard spot) but I dont think they want to keep him on the bench another season.
  • Dante Fowler Jr. - He was worth the trade, his playoff performance alone was worth it. But that does not mean we need to open the bank for him. But I agree with most, for the right price Id be interested, but I think he is one of those guys who will look to really cash in on the playoff run. The Top 3 Pick potential combined with a little bit of production while playing behind Suh/Brockers/Donald is a recipe for a dumb GM to hand out a lucrative multi year deal. Hope thats not us.
  • C.J. Anderson - Well that was fun, but we already have too much cap space allocated to the RB position (Gurley alone) as is.So I doubt we are looking to allocate much more.
  • Sam Shields - Ill say this, you can never have enough Corners in todays NFL. And while he isnt the same player, he would be a nice guy to have back
  • Troy Hill - Dont love Hill, but he is good enough. But if he is looking for anything more than ST/Depth Corner money, we probably shouldnt even be wasting our time. (there is an argument that even giving him his vet minimum is too much for what he brings)

And of course the hot topic of potential cuts and or trades;

• Michael Brockers - This seems to be everyone's go to, and honestly I dont understand it. Was he alittle less impactful this year? Sure but he was also the one who sacrificed some of his role for Suh. And he has always been one of the guys that keeps Olines honest, letting Donald do his thing. If anything, I feel like extending him, stretching out that $10m cap hit. But getting rid of a main cog f this defense (while likely losing a few others) seems like a bad move at this point.
  • Marcus Peters - I think this will be the most contentious player for the Rams this offseason. While he has some amazing talent, if that talent is only good with Tali across from him, why would you commit to him long term, because Talib doesnt have much in the "long term" department. And if you let him walk after next year, you arent looking at anything Compensatory till the 2021 draft, and at best a pick between 97-105. So while i agree we need to be going for it again in 2019, we need to get some young talent to suppliment all of these aging players with big contracts that we are looking to bring in. And a Top 90 pick could also make an impact right away.
  • Mark Barron - Im still not sure why he wasnt cut last offseason. He was fine all year, but should not be taking up $7-9m in cap space every year. Time to move on
  • John Sullivan - Most havent brought him up when talking about cuts, but man, he was getting blown up more than a veteran center should this year. And the thing that stood out to me all Super Bowl was the middle of our Line being manhandled by a relatively nondescript Patriots D-line. I think he may have had his last productive year, and Id rather maximize the talent/minimize the spend of that line.
  • Tyler Higbee - Did you know he is about to make $2m next year? Not saying he should be cut, but man, he hasnt really earned that yet. If we get cash strapped, I wouldnt be shocked to see him go.

@StLunatic88 Totally agree on Sullivan. I forgot to mention him as well but I think he’s definitely a spot that could use an upgrade. I think the decision to keep or cut him will greatly depend on what happens with Whitworth and Saffold. If Whit retires and Saffold signs elsewhere, then I could see them kept Sully so that there’s not so many holes to fill on the line. Honestly, if even one of them don’t come back I can see them keeping him. But if they’re both back, then we should likely move on from him. He’s a great veteran leader and one of the smartest guys on the field, but I think we’ve used up the quality years he had left. 

On 2/4/2019 at 11:19 AM, NVRamsFan said:

Going to post something I shared on another site. Any thoughts?

Rodger Saffold- We've all read the articles and know the story by now. He's said he wants to come back and feels he may have to take less here to do that from what he can get on the open market. IMO a must resign for 3 years.

LaMarcus Joyner- Past years franchise tag did little if anything to live up to that salary. In the past I was a big LMJ guy and loved his game. This season has brought this guy down to one word for me. Peace! Let him be overpaid by somebody else.

Ndamukong Suh- Was very lackluster during the regular season but was an absolute unit in the playoffs. While I'd like to have this guy back I just don't think we'll have the money for what he wants. 

Dante Fowler Jr. - Guy enjoyed a rebirth for us and had some big moments in both the regular and post season. I for one would like to bring him back. It wouldn't break my heart if our top 3 Edge guys were him, Samson and Obo, we could always add another pick to it. Just not sure what kind of salary he's going to demand or if his time here made him love the place and he wants to come back so to me this guy could go either way.

Cory Littleton- Could get a nice payday but really hope we bring him back. Special team demon and our signal caller on D. He's a RFA so that helps a lot. 

CJ Anderson - Would love the wrecking ball to be back but he may have played his way into a bigger deal than we want to give him and there could be a few teams looking for a feature or even split carries back that has much more cap space than we do so he likely walks.

Sam Shields- This guy was a monster on special teams. IMO being out as long as he was may require a couple years to get back his cover game. I'd like to bring him back and it may be cheap enough to do it.

Matt Longacre, Dominique Easley, Ethan Westbrooks and Morgan Fox - All four could likely leave and we wouldn't even know it. 

Malcolm Brown- Coming off the injury will likely come back on a 1 year deal.

Ramik Wilson, Bryce Hager, Garrett Sickels, Carlos Thompson- Like the DLine guys above could all go away and we wouldn't blink. Hager and Wilson were good special teamers but that's about it.

Dominique Hatfield, Blake Countess and Troy Hill - Countess may be the only one I'd like to bring back. He's an RFA and was pretty solid depth in the secondary and good on special teams. The rest could vanish and we'd be ok with that. 

JoJo Natson- The guy everybody loved for a few weeks was just an average returner the rest of the year and offers nothing on coverage teams or offense. We can draft a guy in the 6th or 7th rounds to provide that. Bring him back on the cheap otherwise.

Sean Mannion- Last but not least our QB2. In very very limited time he's shown nothing really worthwhile. There isn't a whole lot of other likely options in free agency so either a mid round pick and/or bring Sean back. Will be interesting to see how McVay and Snead handle this one.

Cuts

Mark Barron
- We all anticipate and might even celebrate this guy being cut. It's ok to have one undersized ILB in todays NFL. To have 2 and the second being Barron was just a travesty. He'll save enough money to sign Saffold and not dip into the rest of the free agent money.

Michael Brockers- This one pains me as Brock has long been one of my favorite players. Is he out of position as an end in the 3-4? Could be. But the bottom line is he wasn't worth his cap hit at any point in the season and may have to go. He's due a roster bonus mid March so if cut before then add's $10 million to the cap. As much as it hurts me he may be gone. 

Marcus Peters- I know some are going to be calling for this but his 5th year option is only $9 million. He may be dealt but that elevates the need at CB significantly. I wouldn't be shocked if we trade him but I don't see a cut. Unlike the previous 2 cuts I listed he could get a big pay day in free agency earning us a comp pick of significance which doesn't jive with Sneads MO. It's either trade a guy or let them walk in free agency to earn that comp so I think he stays but gets no extension.

IMO there's nobody else worth any kind of cap hit that is worth mentioning on the cuts. There could be others but the cap hits/savings are insignificant so not mentioning them.

FYI prior to any changes/cuts we are sitting at just over $32 million in cap space with an estimated of $189.5 million.

I agree with most of this. I want to punt Barron to the moon if possible. 

Brockers was one hell of a disappointment, never made an impact this year and he was basically facing a single blocker all year. 

Peters was disappointing as hell but maybe it would mean we could extend him on the cheap. 

I feel like we could and should bring Suh back, obviously only if the price tag is a bit lower than this year, a two year deal makes sense so he can retire with the Super Bowl in LA. 

Maybe we can package something to move up in the draft. I see Oliver leaving in the 14th pick to the Falcons, that seems very doable and a line with Oliver, Suh, and AD is pretty much unstoppable. Joyner can leave, plenty of quality safeties available in FA and the draft for much cheaper than he is asking for. 

We do need to find some pieces to run different schemes on offense, I love the whole everything off 11 personnel strategy with McVay, but sometimes we need to change things up. 

I don't envision McVay abandoning the 11-personnel strategy just yet - we may see him experiment with some tweaks next season but honestly I feel like it's more going to be a case of trying to bolster the depth we have so that injuries to particular players don't hamstring us as badly in the future as they did this past season - and I feel like we're going to keep taking bites of the apple at TE until we land ourselves someone similar to a George Kittle (i.e. a guy that can run the entire route tree, but especially the vertical stuff and wheel routes but is also more than just a finesse blocker).  If only the FO had listened to @jrry32 in last year's draft...

11 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I don't envision McVay abandoning the 11-personnel strategy just yet - we may see him experiment with some tweaks next season but honestly I feel like it's more going to be a case of trying to bolster the depth we have so that injuries to particular players don't hamstring us as badly in the future as they did this past season - and I feel like we're going to keep taking bites of the apple at TE until we land ourselves someone similar to a George Kittle (i.e. a guy that can run the entire route tree, but especially the vertical stuff and wheel routes but is also more than just a finesse blocker).  If only the FO had listened to @jrry32 in last year's draft...

There might be a couple nice TE available at the end of the 1st. If some defensive spots are addressed in free agency we could see one of those taken. 

21 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

There might be a couple nice TE available at the end of the 1st. If some defensive spots are addressed in free agency we could see one of those taken. 

Maybe, but I doubt it.  Outside of Irv Smith and maybe one or two others (and with them it depends on whether they fall to value spots in the 3rd or so), I really don't see much in the way of TE's in this draft class that aren't glorified finesse TE's (which is redundant of what we already have in Everett - so I don't really see the point in spending premium draft capital in that manner versus giving Everett another year of development.

Honestly, I'd just sit tight and see if Austin Sefarian-Jenkins is among the Jags' cap-casualties or Vernon Davis is among the ones from Washington.

We don't need to spend big money or a top pick on a TE. That's such a waste imo. Higbee is a solid all around TE, and Everett has shown flashes. I'd take a TE on Day 3. I have a couple guys in mind that I want to evaluate further. But we don't need to spend major resources on it. It's a diminishing return. We can't adequately feed Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Gurley, and a top TE in the passing game. It's just too many mouths. I understand that somebody might get hurt, so it helps to have weapons, but that's not enough of a need for a first round pick.

On 2/4/2019 at 4:36 PM, jrry32 said:

I'd try to retain Fowler if he's reasonably priced. I liked how he played in the playoffs. He's not an elite edge guy, but he's a solid all around player who plays hard.

He over performed what I expected of him. If it's for the right price I would be all for it. 

Archived