Impending free agents/cuts

NVRamsFan

3 hours ago, LARams91 said:

Nasir Adderley at the end of the first would be a great replacement for Joyner.

He's the guy i really like, if we can sort out or feel good about our edge-rushing situation or if a "tremendous value" DL prospect doesn't fall to us (I think he goes higher than a lot of big name draftniks are projecting him, but if somehow we could pair Donald and Christian Wilkins on the same front, that's almost not fair).  He's a Top 40 prospect in my eyes, so I don't bat an eye at making a 8-ish pick reach considering we have no idea who would be on the board right now.

Another thought to put out into the ether (and maybe @jrry32 can keep this in mind when he's doing his evals) - even though it's a low-probability, though not unheard of (Preston Smith, Aaron Lynch - a bit unfair since Lynch had actually played both EDGE and 5T in college), situation: Can DreMont Jones drop about 7-10 pounds and play EDGE?  He certainly seems athletic enough and he's definitely flexible/"bendy" enough.

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

We don't need to spend big money or a top pick on a TE. That's such a waste imo. Higbee is a solid all around TE, and Everett has shown flashes. I'd take a TE on Day 3. I have a couple guys in mind that I want to evaluate further. But we don't need to spend major resources on it. It's a diminishing return. We can't adequately feed Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Gurley, and a top TE in the passing game. It's just too many mouths. I understand that somebody might get hurt, so it helps to have weapons, but that's not enough of a need for a first round pick.

Our TE's suck. Potential this and that. But at the end of the day they suck or don't fit the system. Maybe it's goff? 

Why don't we use them? Then it falls on goff.. Maybe that's why we don't attack the middle of the field much? Look at the success Reed had in Wash with 

Sean.. Why hasn't he been able to produce a viable option there?

1 minute ago, El ramster said:

Our TE's suck. Potential this and that. But at the end of the day they suck or don't fit the system. Maybe it's goff? 

Why don't we use them? Then it falls on goff.. Maybe that's why we don't attack the middle of the field much? Look at the success Reed had in Wash with 

Sean.. Why hasn't he been able to produce a viable option there?

We don't use our TEs that much because we have three stellar WRs and a stellar HB. We use the TEs often to block. And we do attack the middle of the field often. Reed had his success in Washington because McVay used him as a big slot WR. We have Cooper Kupp for that role.

Just now, jrry32 said:

We don't use our TEs that much because we have three stellar WRs and a stellar HB. We use the TEs often to block. And we do attack the middle of the field often. Reed had his success in Washington because McVay used him as a big slot WR. We have Cooper Kupp for that role.

We don't even use our HBs in the pass game. This is a myth. Nothing against NO-Dallas-NE...

The problem with Sean is the same with Martz. Long developing routes.. 

11 minutes ago, El ramster said:

We don't even use our HBs in the pass game. This is a myth. Nothing against NO-Dallas-NE...

In his two years under McVay, Gurley's per 16 game receiving numbers are 68 receptions for 755 receiving yards and 6 receiving TDs. We didn't use our HBs much in the playoffs because Anderson is an average receiver and Gurley was injured. Had Gurley been healthy, I can guarantee you that we would have involved him in the passing game against NO and NE. So no, it's not a myth.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 5:16 PM, El ramster said:

I think to assess McVay this past year we have to look at it in two different lights.

First, had Cooper Kupp not gotten hurt, I think we would have won the Super Bowl. Our offense probably doesn't fall off and McVay using 11 personnel 97% of the time is fully justified. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that Kupp is our best WR and maybe our most important offensive weapon - with him in the lineup we only lost one game, and in that game, his first back from an injury - the offense scored 35 and he had 89 yards and a TD. That tells me that McVay had a vision and his vision worked.

But the second part of that, is that McVay was relying on Gurley, Cooks, Woods and Kupp to stay 100% healthy - and that was not smart. Regarding the TEs, I think they were outstanding. I don't remember them dropping a pass and I remember every time they made a play I thought "wow maybe they should be used more often".

Most Rams fans wanted McVay to go to two TE sets after Kupp went down - it took him a little while to get there. Ultimately that's why I don't like exclusively operating in one personnel grouping. We need guys to play so that our depth could develop. Before injury, there should have been several games where Malcolm Brown had more carries than Gurley. Reynolds should have been rotated equally in some games. I think this would have helped our offense in the Super Bowl as Goff would have had more experience throwing to different players and we could have utilized different groupings which would have made us harder to defend.

14 hours ago, The LBC said:

Ravens cut Eric Weddle.  Um... this has us and Wade written all over it.  (Now watch him end up on the damn Pats or Eagles)

NEED Weddle here. He would be a huge get to shore up the secondary. A little California homecoming and a Super Bowl Ring sounds about right to close out his career

51 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

NEED Weddle here. He would be a huge get to shore up the secondary. A little California homecoming and a Super Bowl Ring sounds about right to close out his career

I like the idea in theory, but after reading feedback from Ravens and Chargers fans, they are saying he's washed. Lost his speed/athleticism and has become a liability tackling in the open field. If true, I'm good. 

Archived