Official: Raiders to play 2019 season in Oakland

RaidersAreOne

57 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

Good, I'll try to finally make it to a game there. 

I made my "pilgrimage" this year, and even although it's clear to see how much of a dump the Coliseum is, I loved the whole experience. The tailgate was a totally unique experience to me (I'm Scottish - we just stand in the pub drinking before our games), and unlike the Giants (MLB) game I went to, there was an atmosphere to the place. Before visiting, I was always one of the fans calling for a move to LA, Vegas, wherever else - it's easy to get swept into the whole thing about a glitzy new stadium when you have no attachment to Oakland or the Bay, but now that I've been to a home game in Oakland, I appreciate the Bay Area fans more than I did. Loyal, loud, passionate fans who are having their team taken away from them. Of course Vegas is an opportunity we couldn't turn down, but I just feel for them more than I did previously. It felt like the Raiders home, even if the Coliseum is falling apart.

And as SB says, it's so easy to get to from downtown San Fran. Met loads of Raiders fans doing the same thing, so would definitely recommend that. Incredible city.

I'd love to tailgate 1 more time but the freaking spots are expensive as hell and narrow, I would love to take my 2017 Ram 2500 crew cab its silver and would look sick dressed out with Raider magnets and other signage but I just know it would get scratched and dinged by car doors. I'm hoping that when they get to Vegas I can make the trek and pull a fifth wheel behind me and do it in style.

22 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I made my "pilgrimage" this year, and even although it's clear to see how much of a dump the Coliseum is, I loved the whole experience. The tailgate was a totally unique experience to me (I'm Scottish - we just stand in the pub drinking before our games), and unlike the Giants (MLB) game I went to, there was an atmosphere to the place. Before visiting, I was always one of the fans calling for a move to LA, Vegas, wherever else - it's easy to get swept into the whole thing about a glitzy new stadium when you have no attachment to Oakland or the Bay, but now that I've been to a home game in Oakland, I appreciate the Bay Area fans more than I did. Loyal, loud, passionate fans who are having their team taken away from them. Of course Vegas is an opportunity we couldn't turn down, but I just feel for them more than I did previously. It felt like the Raiders home, even if the Coliseum is falling apart.

And as SB says, it's so easy to get to from downtown San Fran. Met loads of Raiders fans doing the same thing, so would definitely recommend that. Incredible city.

Nice post.  I am glad for the Oakland fans.  They deserve one more season.

I still have a few friends in the Bay Area.  Most have migrated east, sold and moved elsewhere.  I understand the likelihood of leaving CA which I may address. 

I think I'll try to make it to a game in Oaktown next season for old time sake.  I remember my first game at the Coliseum.  We parked and had to cross the tracks on the north side of the stadium and there was a slow moving train.  We mounted it and jumped off the other side.  I don't recommend this.  I was maybe 19.  Could have been 1966.  Nostalgia.

On 2/25/2019 at 3:32 PM, Nightmare said:

Talking about Frisco right? Oakland and Stockton are probably the biggest dumps in California. 

On 2/27/2019 at 12:48 AM, BayRaider said:

Talking about Frisco right? Oakland and Stockton are probably the biggest dumps in California. 

I was meaning San Francisco with my "incredible city" comment, yeah. Of all the places I visited on my US trip, it was easily my fav.

I actually didn't set foot in Oakland other than straight off the BART and into the Coliseum grounds, but from what I did see riding through, it looked... let's say, industrial.

6 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I was meaning San Francisco with my "incredible city" comment, yeah. Of all the places I visited on my US trip, it was easily my fav.

I actually didn't set foot in Oakland other than straight off the BART and into the Coliseum grounds, but from what I did see riding through, it looked... let's say, industrial.

You passed through an industrial and a business section. 

I should talk; I haven't been back to Oakland in 15 years (Oakland HS reunion) and quite a while before that.  They have some nice sections or at least they used to.  Oakland Hills;  Redwood and Sequoia Parks.  I spent a lot of time up there. 

Archived