Official: Raiders to play 2019 season in Oakland

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I think we'll look back and realize that Las Vegas had trouble attracting a loyal fan following. Fans will be more transient because people don't live in Vegas full time. The stadium will be relying on transient fans of other teams to sell tickets. Vegas will never have the loyal fan following that was unique in Oakland, and that's a problem. 

It's the "entertainment capital of the world" as you said. That applies to tourists, not the locals that the Raiders need to support the franchise. Stadium will be filled with opposing teams fans who went to Vegas for a weekend to catch their team. 

I would've agreed with you when it was first announced, but now im not so sure.

As an NHL fan I've been amazed at how well the Vegas Golden Knights have done attendance wise. I know last season may be a bad example because of the success they had on the ice, but this season they are just a slightly above average team and they are currently not only selling out every home game, but are putting more people in the building than there are seats. I have family in Vegas who weren't hockey fans and are now die hard VGK fans. They hardly even followed sports before VGK.. I guess im trying to say that it can't be underestimated just how many people actually live in the Vegas area and how much they have been dying to be represented in the major leagues..

I'm not saying that the Raiders won't have the most fans of an opposing team in their stadium. They might. But don't doubt the Vegas locals jumping on the Raider bandwagon. Especially if they have success in their first season there.

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Who is propagating that narrative?

We all wanted a stay in Oakland. When it didn't happen and this was the outcome many looked at the benefits and got on board.

Also, saying that you know what is or will be BEST for the football team is pure arrogance. 

Just because we have the tendency to say "we" when referring to things raiders related doesn't actually mean you are part of the football team. You are part of the fan base.

The narrative is most definitely propagated by Davis, the other owners, and the NFL. It's just dissappointing when fans parrot it.

I never said I knew best. Certainly don't. But let's not pretend the Vegas move/stadium is so we can field a better football team. It's so rich people can have more money. Any benefit to attracting FAs etc. is simply a bonus.

I appreciate the use of "we." Always have and will. It indicates a sense of community in fandom. I remain salty because that sense of "we" is not reciprocated by the organization. We're merely consumers. A means to make a dollar.

Out of curiosity, where would you draw the line? The move to Vegas for a new stadium us not an issue it seems. What if they had changed the uniforms? The team colors? The name? What part of the teams identify are required for you to stay a loyal fan?

2 hours ago, raiders4life said:

As an NHL fan I've been amazed at how well the Vegas Golden Knights have done attendance wise. I know last season may be a bad example because of the success they had on the ice, but this season they are just a slightly above average team and they are currently not only selling out every home game, but are putting more people in the building than there are seats. I have family in Vegas who weren't hockey fans and are now die hard VGK fans. They hardly even followed sports before VGK.. I guess im trying to say that it can't be underestimated just how many people actually live in the Vegas area and how much they have been dying to be represented in the major leagues..

I'm not saying that the Raiders won't have the most fans of an opposing team in their stadium. They might. But don't doubt the Vegas locals jumping on the Raider bandwagon. Especially if they have success in their first season there.

I hope you're right. But ultimately pricing will dictate the result.

1 hour ago, StocktonSav said:

The narrative is most definitely propagated by Davis, the other owners, and the NFL. It's just dissappointing when fans parrot it.

I never said I knew best. Certainly don't. But let's not pretend the Vegas move/stadium is so we can field a better football team. It's so rich people can have more money. Any benefit to attracting FAs etc. is simply a bonus.

I appreciate the use of "we." Always have and will. It indicates a sense of community in fandom. I remain salty because that sense of "we" is not reciprocated by the organization. We're merely consumers. A means to make a dollar.

Out of curiosity, where would you draw the line? The move to Vegas for a new stadium us not an issue it seems. What if they had changed the uniforms? The team colors? The name? What part of the teams identify are required for you to stay a loyal fan?

They say it's for the best because of the situation. Davis, the other owners and the NFL wanted a solution in Oakland.

Of course, they want more money. They run a business. But that business is to field great entertainment i.e good football teams and win thereby drawing in more fan ie revenue. See how that works. You think Mark wants to make this huge risk and who cares about the product o the field.

Never said it wasn't an "issue" that they are moving. I think they should be in Oakland or LA but since those places weren't able provide the things needed to get a deal done, I'm all for a city that will.

Like you said before, I'm a fan of the team and where the team(Raiders) goes so do I. If they aren't the Raiders then that is where it dies for me. But all they are changing is where they are. I don't stop loving a family member if they move out of town and that is how I feel about the team. I'm sure you'll be a Niner fan once you can't conveniently drive to raider game anymore. That is fine.

I would be in favor of an all black uni for home , not sure about helmet change but pants jerseys socks would be alright, done the right way of course. Seems like we get passed over for color rush every season for all black cardinals, all black Niners etc. don’t want change. I want addition that’s all . Would never change our logo for the record, that eyepatch and crossed swords are irreplaceable in my world.

5 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

I would be in favor of an all black uni for home , not sure about helmet change but pants jerseys socks would be alright, done the right way of course. Seems like we get passed over for color rush every season for all black cardinals, all black Niners etc. don’t want change. I want addition that’s all . Would never change our logo for the record, that eyepatch and crossed swords are irreplaceable in my world.

The Raiders have the best uniforms in all of sports. Why anyone thinks the uniforms should be changed is beyond me.

13 hours ago, raiders4life said:

NFL is a bigger animal. And there is always that newness. Especially in Vegas where they previously had no pro sports franchises. The question whether it is sustainable. And in the case of the Raiders, if they continue their decades long commitment to mediocrity will local fans still pay high ticket prices to watch those games?

1 hour ago, Devilshark69 said:

AAF's Bham Iron heard you:

Birmingham-Iron-AAF-Uniforms-2019.jpg

11 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

They say it's for the best because of the situation. Davis, the other owners and the NFL wanted a solution in Oakland.

Of course, they want more money. They run a business. But that business is to field great entertainment i.e good football teams and win thereby drawing in more fan ie revenue. See how that works. You think Mark wants to make this huge risk and who cares about the product o the field.

Never said it wasn't an "issue" that they are moving. I think they should be in Oakland or LA but since those places weren't able provide the things needed to get a deal done, I'm all for a city that will.

Like you said before, I'm a fan of the team and where the team(Raiders) goes so do I. If they aren't the Raiders then that is where it dies for me. But all they are changing is where they are. I don't stop loving a family member if they move out of town and that is how I feel about the team. I'm sure you'll be a Niner fan once you can't conveniently drive to raider game anymore. That is fine.

Just a difference of opinion on my part. I don't believe they wanted a solution in Oakland. And I believe if the NFL could put out a mediocre football product and still maximize revenues,  they would. Mark Davis included. I don't buy his everyman fighting for his Dad's legacy schtick.

Look I'm here so I'm obviously still a fan of the football team. But every fan has a breaking point, or close to it. As you said, yours would be the Raider name. So on some level you can understand a similar connection to Oakland Raiders. It's not just the location or the stadium. It's the mystique and history associated with it.

But I'm just jaded by the whole situation. Trying slowly to get over it. The current homeless situation just exacerbates the frustration. I'll leave it at that. No point arguing it to death. Although I appreciate everyone's insight and views on it. That's what this forum is for right?

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

AAF's Bham Iron heard you:

Birmingham-Iron-AAF-Uniforms-2019.jpg

Anyone else watch any of the AAF games? Admittedly I was just desperate for football so tuned in. Not as bad as I expected. Comparable to some preseason games I thought (ie good effort but clearly less talent). Would be happy if it turned into a kind of D league. Helped with the football withdrawals. 

Archived