1 minute ago, Elky said:

1985 Bears
2000 Ravens
2002 Bucs
2007 Giants
2013 Seahawks
2015 Broncos
2018 Patriots

First of all the 2000 Super Bowl Raven vs Giants was one of the worst Super Bowls in NFL history my God was it boring. The 85 Bears Takes the Cake for me. Behind that I've got to give it to the New York Giants  and then the Seattle Seahawks and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I would follow that up with a 2018 New England Patriots and lastly the Denver Broncos of course the 2000 Ravens being dead last because well they were playing against Kerry Collins.

Just now, wwhickok said:

First of all the 2000 Super Bowl Raven vs Giants was one of the worst Super Bowls in NFL history my God was it boring. The 85 Bears Takes the Cake for me. Behind that I've got to give it to the New York Giants  and then the Seattle Seahawks and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I would follow that up with a 2018 New England Patriots and lastly the Denver Broncos of course the 2000 Ravens being dead last because well they were playing against Kerry Collins.

The thing about Ravens/Giants is that they forced Collins into what I think is the absolute worst performance by a QB. Baltimore only allowed 112 yards from Collins (Jamal Lewis rushed for 102 yards, just to put things in perspective) and his 7.1 passer rating is what I believe the lowest for someone who played all four quarters,

1 minute ago, Elky said:

The thing about Ravens/Giants is that they forced Collins into what I think is the absolute worst performance by a QB. Baltimore only allowed 112 yards from Collins (Jamal Lewis rushed for 102 yards, just to put things in perspective) and his 7.1 passer rating is what I believe the lowest for someone who played all four quarters,

Kerry Collins has never actually been a very good quarterback. All I am saying is this particular performance did not impress me as much as the other ones on the list.

Personally I think that the 2001 Patriots defensive performance was more impressive than last night, simply because that Rams offense was loaded with proven and surefire HOF talent in Warner, Faulk, Bruce (sorry @jrry32) and Torry Holt (I'd be surprised if he doesn't get in).

Not to disrespect the Rams, but Gurley may or may not have been hurt, Goff looked like rookie Goff out there, and Cooks/Reynolds/Woods isn't exactly the same WR group.

16 minutes ago, Elky said:

1985 Bears
2000 Ravens
2002 Bucs
2007 Giants
2013 Seahawks
2015 Broncos
2018 Patriots

The ‘85 Bears are still the best team I’ve ever seen. 

The 2007 Giants were great, but that was a flawed and over-inflated Patriots offense with their top running back missing from the game. 

Of course (being a total Boston honk) I have to think that the 2001 Patriots belong on this list for shutting down the Greatest Show on Turf for three and a half quarters. I think the 2001 Rams were a far better team than their 2018 descendants. But that’s just my opinion. 

Otherwise, good list. 

I know the OP didn't bring them up but 1984 49ers the most underrated team of all-time in how they are pretty clearly as time goes on arguably the GOAT. Their only loss was by a field goal to Pittsburgh where they lead 17-10 in the 4th and honestly a rare late pick by Montana AND a missed 38 yarder. That Super Bowl they decimated the GOAT QB season by Marino.

So 84 49ers are my #1.

But of the list:
2000 Ravens
2013 Seahawks
2007 Giants
2018 Patriots
1985 Bears
2002 Bucs
2015 Broncos

This game was incredible but the Rams for all their offensive output in the regular season had their best threat clearly hampered in the playoffs in Gurley and really only two receiver threats. The Pats also had Brady able to burn some clock when needed. The 00 Ravens remain the only team to COMPLETELY Shut-Out an offense in the Super Bowl as the Giants' only score came on special teams. They also had Trent Dilfer on offense allowing the possibility to hinder the defense in doing their job. Then you got 2013 Seahawks destroying the #1 statistical offense in history.

Rankings are per DVOA since 1986

18 Patriots held #2 offense to 3 points and 260 yards, forced 1 turnover

15 Broncos held #8 offense to 10 points and 315 yards, forced 4 turnovers and scored 1 TD

13 Seahawks held #1 offense to 8 points and 306 yards, forced 4 turnovers and scored 1 TD + 1 safety

07 Giants held #1 offense of all time to 14 points and 274 yards, forced 1 turnover

02 Bucs held #2 offense to 15 points and 269 yards, forced 5 turnovers and scored 3 TDs

00 Ravens held #8 offense to 0 points and 152 yards, forced 5 turnovers and scored 1 TD

85 Bears held #10 offense in points, #9 in yards, to 10 points and 123 yards, forced 6 turnovers and scored 1 TD + 1 safety

Looking at the stats, it's pretty close across the board. Only team I don't think has a case is 15 Broncos. I guess I'd lean 00 Ravens since that Giants team was coming off a CC where they put up 41 points and 518 yards of offense. However, this last SB was 100% the most unlikely SB performance. The Patriots, who had let up 30+ pts the previous week and were a good not great unit, held the 11th best offense of all time to 3 points. Probably 0 future HOFers on that D, I think 1 all-pro, and they just shut them down. Historically impressive coaching job.

1. 00 Ravens
  2. 85 Bears
  3. 13 Seahawks
  4. 02 Bucs
  5. 18 Patriots
  6. 07 Giants
  7. 15 Broncos

Other all time great performances not listed from modern era

92 Cowboys held #6 offense to 17 points and 254 yards, forced 9 turnovers and scored 2 TDs

89 48ers held #13 offense to 10 points and 167 yards, forced 4 turnovers

84 49ers held #11 offense of all time (estimated DVOA) to 16 points and 289 yards, forced 2 turnovers

Archived