Was Super Bowl LIII "boring"?

Tetsujin

Was the Super Bowl "boring"?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Was the Super Bowl "boring"?

• Yes, kinda
    • No!

I had some friends say it was "boring" to them. But they are very casual sports fans, who I'm sure equate scoring with excitement, which is somewhat justifiable. 

But for a game with very little scoring, I thought it was pretty exciting. So many good defensive plays, schemes and strategies going on, so maybe you had to be a more avid fan to truly appreciate it?

1 minute ago, freak_of_nature said:

I had some friends say it was "boring" to them. But they are very casual sports fans, who I'm sure equate scoring with excitement, which is somewhat justifiable. 

But for a game with very little scoring, I thought it was pretty exciting. So many good defensive plays, schemes and strategies going on, so maybe you had to be a more avid fan to truly appreciate it?

I'm an avid fan and I appreciated that it was a defensive slugfest.  I needed a bottle of tums next to my drink all night, and nobody needs tums for a boring game.  When was the last time we had a huge defensive struggle decide anything in the NFL?  They can go back to their video game offenses next year.  Objectively, I thought the game was a nice change of pace. 

Having played defense in high school (DE mostly).... but I was too much of a "Rudy" to play in college.  I actually loved the game.  It was masterful on both sides how they were correctly anticipating (most of the time) what the offenses were going to to do.  It wasn't even flashy defense, but "hard nose in your face I ain't giving you anything" type of defense.   

But having watched with others, especially those who cared more about the commercials and half time and "die hard" fans who really had no clue about football outside of play names and the typical mindless quotes heard on sports talk shows.  I got really annoyed trying to explain why this is entertaining.  

Yeah, fairly boring if you didn't have a horse in the race. There wasn't a defender or defense that just tore things up. Edelman played well but the Hogan/Brady connection was terrible and without a defense I think they probably only hit on one or two of those six attempts. When given all day Goff made some nice throws but when there was just a slight amount of pressure he was off. While kudos to the defense of getting a little pressure it didn't force the less than stellar results on those plays.

Both QBs being a little off seemed to have a lot more to do with the score than the defenses. Brady to Edelman was the only thing that consistently worked. Gronk had a good game and Cooks put up numbers as well as Michel in the run game but pretty pedestrian and nothing that will be remembered, much like most of the game itself.

It was extremely boring. I mean there wasn't really any big plays throughout the entire game on either side of the ball for either team even the interception at the end wasn't necessarily a edge of your seat thrilling play as much as it was a really stupid pass and a predictable ending. It just lacked that wow factor.

No. Only bitter fans ala the Chiefs and Saints thought it was boring. Spoiled fans who saw high scoring all throughout the season thought it was boring.

We are going to look back and this game years from now and appreciate really Belichick versus Wade. I know all the headlines was McVay but its Wade that has to experience against Belichick. If we wouldve seen the Patriots vs Saints, we know the Patriots wouldve taken away the run and Thomas. Brees has been a shell of himself and really the entire offense since the Dallas game. The Saints wouldve totally scored more than 3pts but you think they wouldve held the Patriots to 13pts? The Patriots probably wouldve did like they did in New Orleans in 2017 and won 36-20. Now you want to see the Patriots win by over two tds and the game being over with at some point in the 3rd quarter? Excuse me by halftime because that game was 30-13 at the half in the Superdome. I dont. At least in this game the Rams had a shot in the 4th quarter to take the lead despite how the offense played. The reason why is because Wade kept the Patriots offense from going off. I dont think the DC Allen of the Saints wouldve done that to Brady.

So again I didnt think the Superbowl was boring. I thought it was two old foes in Belichick and Wade displaying great defensive gameplans. The youngsters in McVay and Goff being inexperienced and learning under fire which will help them in the long run even after Wade is long retired. Then Brady rising up on one drive which made all the difference. Ironically it was almost matched by Goff had Cooks caught that ball in the endzone despite possibly being interfered with and no call was made. Ill still say regardless he has to make that catch. 

Archived