Was Super Bowl LIII "boring"?

Tetsujin

Was the Super Bowl "boring"?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Was the Super Bowl "boring"?

• Yes, kinda
    • No!

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Pretty much that. To be fair the 2008 Super Bowl with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Arizona Cardinals and while the Steelers had a strong fan base and still do obviously the Arizona Cardinals not so much

Funny yhing is that was a great game

I love defensive struggles, where defenses are just whipping an offense. It’s fun to watch. Watching a defense impose its will on an offense is something I can definitely get down with. 

That wasn’t this though. This was throws missing wide open receivers, bad throws into coverage while other receivers ran open, backs missing holes and running into players. And it was far more bad OLine play than I felt good DLine play. 

The whole game felt like neither team could get out of their own way on offense. A complete snooze fest. Easily the worst Super Bowl I’ve ever seen.

For a Super Bowl?  100%

I'm a fan of defensive, low-scoring games.  But the game, especially the biggest game of the year, should still feel competitive.  It felt like the Rams really had no chance of winning and that took a ton out of the game for me.  It never felt like the Rams were in the game even when the score was tied.

Yep. Very boring.

There have been Super Bowls that have been more boring -- namely the blow outs -- but this was an incompetence-filled stinker of a game.

in terms of the on-the-field action, the single most memorable moment was that 65-yard punt that rolled for, like, 27 yards. That speaks volumes on the low quality of the game.

11 minutes ago, pwny said:

I love defensive struggles, where defenses are just whipping an offense. It’s fun to watch. Watching a defense impose its will on an offense is something I can definitely get down with. 

That wasn’t this though. This was throws missing wide open receivers, bad throws into coverage while other receivers ran open, backs missing holes and running into players. And it was far more bad OLine play than I felt good DLine play. 

The whole game felt like neither team could get out of their own way on offense. A complete snooze fest. Easily the worst Super Bowl I’ve ever seen.

Was going to essentially write this. 

Goff had the composure of a wet paper towel, and Brady looked social security eligible until the last 5 minutes of the game. 

Both defensive lines were balling though. Ill give the game that.

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

100% this. I'm all for defensive games. But there is a very vital difference between a defensive game, and a bad offensive game. There was some good defense in there. Gilmore and Hightower had really good games. Wade and Belichek did some good things schematically. But there was also a lot of just Austin Blythe not knowing how to block. Chris Hogan being incapable of attempting a jump ball. Goff and Brady just missing guys at times. I found the lack of adjustments over the course of the game frustrating, too. Despite struggling on O neither team really ever changed much of what they were doing, IMO.

16 minutes ago, pwny said:

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

100% this. I'm all for defensive games. But there is a very vital difference between a defensive game, and a bad offensive game. There was some good defense in there. Gilmore and Hightower had really good games. Wade and Belichek did some good things schematically. But there was also a lot of just Austin Blythe not knowing how to block. Chris Hogan being incapable of attempting a jump ball. Goff and Brady just missing guys at times. I found the lack of adjustments over the course of the game frustrating, too. Despite struggling on O neither team really ever changed much of what they were doing, IMO.

I feel like this is said just about any times there's a defensive struggle. Yes, there were plays to be made, but part of a defensive struggle is messing with the QB's mind and hitting him enough that you knock him off his game. Austin Blythe didn't suddenly forget how to block. Jared Goff and Brady didn't suddenly forget how to throw. 

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I feel like this is said just about any times there's a defensive struggle. Yes, there were plays to be made, but part of a defensive struggle is messing with the QB's mind and hitting him enough that you knock him off his game. Austin Blythe didn't suddenly forget how to block. Jared Goff and Brady didn't suddenly forget how to throw. 

No, they both played like crap from the get go. Brady threw a pick into double coverage on his first pass. The Rams got into his head that quickly? Goff was missing guys wide open from his first throw too. Your generational talent QB gets rattled that easily? The offenses played like trash. 

The Bears game against the Rams was a great defensive performance. This was just trash. 

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don’t see how anyone can say the defenses weren’t amazing. Goff sucked and the Patriots lacked big plays and at times execution, but each defense executed their assignments extremely well. I really enjoyed watching Suh’s assignments as he  moved often from tackle to end, and was in on some key run stops and pressures. The FB blow up he had on the first play of the game was awesome. The Patriots’ D was smothering, from the pressure on Goff to the tight coverage in the secondary.

Very fun game, it just could have been closer. (Regardless of the Rams being in it until the final minutes meant nothing. It was obvious a Goff-led team wasn’t beating the Bill/Brady.)

1 hour ago, pwny said:

No, they both played like crap from the get go. Brady threw a pick into double coverage on his first pass. The Rams got into his head that quickly? Goff was missing guys wide open from his first throw too. Your generational talent QB gets rattled that easily? The offenses played like trash. 

The Bears game against the Rams was a great defensive performance. This was just trash. 

You mean the play where Wade showed M2M coverage at the snap and then dropped into zone coverage right after the snap with NRC sliding underneath Edelman (I believe)? That was bad QB play? That wasn't brilliant defensive scheming/play? C'mon.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You mean the play where Wade showed M2M coverage at the snap and then dropped into zone coverage right after the snap with NRC sliding underneath Edelman (I believe)? That was bad QB play? That wasn't brilliant defensive scheming/play? C'mon.

It was a bad throw. The NFL hadn't seen a duck like that in the post season since peyton manning retired lol

The ball came out of his hands weird and wobbled around. 

As I said in the other thread, this was the absolute best outcome... the Rams offense lays a goose egg on international TV, Brady is basically a non-factor so even his biggest fanboys aren't going to strut their stuff today, everyone thinks its a boring game so no one will talk about it in a few months.

Its a footnote on BB's resume, and a black stain on McVay/Goff's… this type of loss is only made up for with a superbowl win, and its the type of loss that can stick with you for a while.... LOVE IT

4 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

I had some friends say it was "boring" to them. But they are very casual sports fans, who I'm sure equate scoring with excitement, which is somewhat justifiable. 

But for a game with very little scoring, I thought it was pretty exciting. So many good defensive plays, schemes and strategies going on, so maybe you had to be a more avid fan to truly appreciate it?

I loved the result for Brady, Bill, Gronk & the Pats dynasty. So, it was enjoyable live. However, it was noticeable that both offenses were below their best. Defense from both teams was outstanding.

I recorded the game, so I'll need to watch it again this week before giving my final verdict. Right now, I'm leaning toward solid, but not spectacular. However, that could change as you pick up more details rewatching without the emotional distraction.

It started to test my patience about halfway through when I realized not much of anything was going to happen on offense, but I stuck with it and enjoyed it for what it was: an old-school defensive battle. Nothing wrong with that. And the right team won it, so that helps too.

20 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You're going to argue that a simple disguised coverage that Brady has seen 10,000 times in his career confused him so much that he couldn't even throw a spiral?

Archived