49ers releasing Ahmad Brooks; signed by GB

Forge

In the end, no regrets on his time here with the 49ers. He was underrated the first few years, and still competent at the back end. 

For those wondering, yes, he still has a little something left in the tank and can probably do an okay job as a starter if you need an OLB. Is he the same Brooks from 2011? No, of course not, but he's still pretty competent, probably good for 5-7 sacks this year, and largely average play all the way around. He'll be good for one offside penalty a game that will drive fans nuts though. 

Signed by Green Bay today

7 minutes ago, daineraider said:

He will be crossing the bay.  The Raiders are in need of any decent LBs available for a decent price.  

I figure Oakland and New England could both make sense. He won't be anything special for the year, but he's going to be a solid stopgap for someone. 

3 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

What's he best for these days?  I'm guessing not coverage due to range depleting with age

Atleast one offside penalty a game. Also, he still has the ability to hold the edge in the run game and through effort get the occasional pressure on a QB. Has been a pretty consistent 6 sack season guy since being with the Niners, not entirely sure how but manages to do it year in and year out.

Could he play in a 4-3 you think? He always plays well against the Saints and it's the type of move Payton would make, for a guy he likes. 

I don't think he helps the Saints that much, but it has Sean Payton written all over it. 

He would fit our SLB perfectly as a stop gap. Like we did with Daryl Smith last year. His job would to be to line up over the TE and rush/contain. He'd only be on the field ~35% of the time, so he'd always be fresh. But I doubt we'd make the move. We just drafted Beckwith, and Bond still needs his chance; if he can ever get (and stay) healthy.

3 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Could he play in a 4-3 you think? He always plays well against the Saints and it's the type of move Payton would make, for a guy he likes. 

I don't think he helps the Saints that much, but it has Sean Payton written all over it. 

We were going to play him at SAM in alignment. Not the most natural fit, but i don't think he'd be awful

10 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

He stunk during his first few years in Cincy playing in a 4-3..  Like Justin Smith, he goes to a 3-4 in San Fran and flourishes.  Take what you want from that.

On 8/26/2017 at 8:21 PM, INbengalfan said:
On 8/26/2017 at 9:33 AM, domepatrol91 said:

He stunk during his first few years in Cincy playing in a 4-3..  Like Justin Smith, he goes to a 3-4 in San Fran and flourishes.  Take what you want from that.

Seconded.  He was really bad with Cincy in the 4-3.

Archived