49ers releasing Ahmad Brooks; signed by GB

Forge

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Bit surprised by this, given the Niners already lost starting Linebacker Malcolm Smith. Why are they releasing him? too expensive?

When a new head coach comes in, they look at the runway to success as being about 3-4 years...and any players that won't be viable in 3-4 years are subject to cuts/trades. Brooks is 33, he needs to go to a team that's ready now. And the 9ers can invest the reps and cash on guys who will be able to contribute going forward. And yes, cash played a role, but his age was likely the biggest factor in letting him go

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Bit surprised by this, given the Niners already lost starting Linebacker Malcolm Smith. Why are they releasing him? too expensive?

Money really shouldn't have played a role at all. His salary was de-escalated to a little over 4 million, and we have the most cap space in the league. That being said, he's not the most natural fit at the SAM linebacker position, and since this is a full on rebuild, you may as well see what someone like Harold brings to the table for long term viability. Brooks isn't going to be here in 3 years, he has no future on the team. 

40 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

When a new head coach comes in, they look at the runway to success as being about 3-4 years...and any players that won't be viable in 3-4 years are subject to cuts/trades. Brooks is 33, he needs to go to a team that's ready now. And the 9ers can invest the reps and cash on guys who will be able to contribute going forward. And yes, cash played a role, but his age was likely the biggest factor in letting him go

In general, yes, but there are some coaches that walk into great situations and have higher expectations placed on their shoulders.

Given the current state of the San Francisco 49ers, this isn't the case. 

How did his meeting with the Packers go?

I love Brooks, he made some plays. I remember the time when we played the Panthers in the playoffs and he jumped over the offensive lineman to sack Cam Newton. My other favorite play was when he sacked Drew Brees and sealed the game for us and the refs blew it and said it was a personal foul even tho he made a clean play. That blown call cost us home field advantage and possibly a SB that year. 

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I wasn't under the impression it had anything to do with his salary as i believe it was pretty manageable at a little more than 4 mil a year and our copious amount of cap space. I think it more had to with the fact that we are a rebuilding team looking to see what we have in the youth on this team as we continue this roster turnover. Eli Harold will now start at the SAM LB where we will get to see him play a full season and find out what we have in him. Dakota Watson seems to be in line to back him up and offers a lot more on ST then Brooks ever could. We also took a rookie in Pita T who has been seeing time at both SAM LB and LEO DE so maybe he gets some looks as well, although I think he's more destined for the PS. Malcolm Smith and Brooks play two very different positions at LB, Smith playing the more traditional off ball LB and Brooks playing more on the line in a hybrid RUSH OLB spot so losing Smith didn't really effect this decision at all. 

22 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

In general, yes, but there are some coaches that walk into great situations and have higher expectations placed on their shoulders.

Given the current state of the San Francisco 49ers, this isn't the case. 

How did his meeting with the Packers go?

His meeting is supposed to be today so we shall soon find out.

On 8/29/2017 at 0:03 AM, steadypimpin said:

I love Brooks, he made some plays. I remember the time when we played the Panthers in the playoffs and he jumped over the offensive lineman to sack Cam Newton. My other favorite play was when he sacked Drew Brees and sealed the game for us and the refs blew it and said it was a personal foul even tho he made a clean play. That blown call cost us home field advantage and possibly a SB that year. 

So did Vance McDonald's drop against the Panthers. Now they are both history. :)

1 hour ago, Pad Level said:

The 9ers are going to regret trading Vance McDonald.

12 minutes ago, Pad Level said:

Tight ends take a while to develop.  Dude is just starting his career.  

Kittle is already better than McDonald. I raved about McDonald when we drafted him but his drops are a huge issue. I dismissed them when he was a prospect but they turned out to be a significant flaw in his development. 

5 hours ago, Pad Level said:

Tight ends take a while to develop.  Dude is just starting his career.  

He can't catch a football lmao are you serious bro? If you need time to develop that skill you shouldn't be in the NFL. Already been in the NFL four years. Way past time to take the diapers off.

Archived